GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Smackdown vs Raw 2010"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2010'.
Wed 03/02/10 at 23:31
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Smackdown. I remember you from the early days of the Playstation. Playing as Kurt Angle and beating the hell out of The Rock, Austin and Kane in a steel cage. Those were great times. Seems odd though that since the second iteration I haven’t really owned another version in the series since. I’ve missed every yearly release on the Playstation 2 and even some on the next gen consoles! That’s a fair amount. So here we are with Smackdown vs Raw 2010. Sure there’s a name change, but is the title the only thing that has made a dramatic transformation since the originals?

I feel there are two brackets of gamers who enjoy the Smackdown franchise and they are the fans of WWE and the brawler gamers. It is tough to cater for both types of player and it’s even more impressive to see that THQ have managed to provide enough fan service and depth in terms of a fighting system so well. After extensive play I feel both will be more than happy with what they get here.

For those few that don’t know, WWE is much like real wrestling... except throw in the funny costumes, over the top drama and insane match stipulations... okay maybe it’s not so much like the real thing but it’s definitely a laugh. Usually taking place in a ring, a bunch of wrestlers will battle and wrestle until one of them is pinned, gets disqualified or submits. Punches, grapples, weapons, reversals... these are all possible and vital in order to win a match.

In terms of features, 2010 doesn’t make you feel short changed. While many of the big name wrestlers are here as expected the matches are just as impressive a list too. You have the basic singles, triple threat, tag, fatal four way and six man matches and thrown in for good measure are all the variations of each sure to please fans. You have ladder, cage, hell in a cell, ECW rules, elimination chamber, royal rumble, battle royal, elimination chamber... the list goes on. It’s safe to say through that you are going to have a tough time getting through and trying everything due to the sheer variety and quantity in this game.

As for modes, story mode allows you to go through six scenarios as famous wrestlers like John Cena, Edge, Randy Orton and more. These are scripted and feel exactly like the real thing, with double crosses, trash talking and the like all making an appearance. When you’ve finished these, you can then take one of your created superstars and take them to the top in career mode. This is a simple sequence of fights for each belt with nothing really making it stand out too much. It can feel very bland. Luckily online is great and with all the match types being able to be played you’re sure to spend hours playing others around the world.

Whatsmore while creating a custom person isn’t exactly new to a game these days, Smackdown vs Raw 2010 goes one further... and then another three further after that. First up is the ‘create an entrance’ feature where not only can you use your own music and videos, but also make your way to the ring as you want. If that isn’t enough you can also design your own finisher, diving finisher and logos. And if you’re still asking for more, then you’ll be more than pleased with the option to create your own storylines. That’s right, you can now write the script your way and use one of the hundred or so videos to go with them. All of these features feel fully fleshed out rather than added on last minute and what’s even better about them is that everything you create can be traded online and downloaded.

If you watch the WWE (which I do on the odd occasion) you’ll notice a handful of additions and features that make you feel like you’re watching a live show. The little logo in the bottom left corner, a referee now coming out of the ring to count pin-falls outside, even just having your opponents leave or wait in the ring as you make your grand entrance. It’s small things like this that can make a big difference. The presentation of the entire product is surprisingly good overall.

As for the actual gameplay, with the original Smackdown games I felt the speed was perhaps too fast. Jumping off a ladder would result in the wrestler getting up almost immediately and it just didn’t seem realistic. I’m not suggesting that isn’t the case here, but at the very least it seems the speed has been slowed a fair bit which is good news. The game also has its moments where it does feel like a televised match. The whole ‘back and forth’ momentum you see on TV is here as abilities can provide losing players with a slight burst of energy, you can drag opponents onto other wrestlers for the pin as a special guest referee and it just feels like a wrestling game should. Control wise everything feels right. Reversals are tough to master but extremely rewarding when pulled off correctly, shifting round the ring and performing flamboyant moves is fairly simple and overall the whole experience never feels like your battling the controls like many other fighters out there.

One key example was an elimination chamber match I had with my two housemates. We managed to make it to the final three then becoming two as I managed to make my cockier friend tap to a submission. Soon after I was hit with a Code Breaker but managed to somehow kick out just before the three count. The match continued until the moment I nailed him with an Attitude Adjustment. Being a little confident I figured I’d taunt a little before going in for the pin. As I did HHH reversed it into a roll up and beat me. I was gobsmacked and that’s exactly how it should be. Like the drama on TV it can carry over onto the game and I love it!

There are issues however that seem odd. The automatic focus system is annoying as one moment you can be facing the guy you want to pound on only to have you attention change during. Ladder matches (while great fun) have one flaw in that you can’t knock down the hardware with only one person on it. Instead you must climb the other side which can often result in the suitcase being grabbed before you make it to the top. Also the voice acting can at times feel so hammy or just disjointed it’s ridiculous. These people perform in front of hundreds of thousands of people, surely they could record some better samples. Not game breaking, but there are problems that could have been addressed given the polish on certain parts of the game.

Overall I have to say I’m extremely impressed with Smackdown vs Raw 2010. While it has made some huge changes since the originals back on the original Playstation, it still feels like a Smackdown game at heart with it’s almost arcade like feel and fast pace. While there is still room for improvement, this definitely feels like a big step toward making you feel like you’re a wrestler in the ring squaring off with the greats. I definitely can’t wait for the 2011 edition!
Sat 06/03/10 at 19:12
Regular
You keep on saying about Kurt Angle we get it we get it
Sat 06/03/10 at 19:11
Regular
Can you make your speech a bit more short like my duration of speech
Sat 13/02/10 at 10:50
Regular
how the hell did you find the time t do that realy long text
Fri 05/02/10 at 12:22
"possibly impossible"
Sonic Chris wrote:
> Loved WWF on playstation. Have to say I've never dabbled in
> another wrestling game since though.

My favourite is still Wrestlemania on the SNES, that and Street Fighter II probably got the most use out of all the games I owned on that system.
Thu 04/02/10 at 17:53
Regular
"How Ironic"
Loved WWF on playstation. Have to say I've never dabbled in another wrestling game since though.
Wed 03/02/10 at 23:31
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Smackdown. I remember you from the early days of the Playstation. Playing as Kurt Angle and beating the hell out of The Rock, Austin and Kane in a steel cage. Those were great times. Seems odd though that since the second iteration I haven’t really owned another version in the series since. I’ve missed every yearly release on the Playstation 2 and even some on the next gen consoles! That’s a fair amount. So here we are with Smackdown vs Raw 2010. Sure there’s a name change, but is the title the only thing that has made a dramatic transformation since the originals?

I feel there are two brackets of gamers who enjoy the Smackdown franchise and they are the fans of WWE and the brawler gamers. It is tough to cater for both types of player and it’s even more impressive to see that THQ have managed to provide enough fan service and depth in terms of a fighting system so well. After extensive play I feel both will be more than happy with what they get here.

For those few that don’t know, WWE is much like real wrestling... except throw in the funny costumes, over the top drama and insane match stipulations... okay maybe it’s not so much like the real thing but it’s definitely a laugh. Usually taking place in a ring, a bunch of wrestlers will battle and wrestle until one of them is pinned, gets disqualified or submits. Punches, grapples, weapons, reversals... these are all possible and vital in order to win a match.

In terms of features, 2010 doesn’t make you feel short changed. While many of the big name wrestlers are here as expected the matches are just as impressive a list too. You have the basic singles, triple threat, tag, fatal four way and six man matches and thrown in for good measure are all the variations of each sure to please fans. You have ladder, cage, hell in a cell, ECW rules, elimination chamber, royal rumble, battle royal, elimination chamber... the list goes on. It’s safe to say through that you are going to have a tough time getting through and trying everything due to the sheer variety and quantity in this game.

As for modes, story mode allows you to go through six scenarios as famous wrestlers like John Cena, Edge, Randy Orton and more. These are scripted and feel exactly like the real thing, with double crosses, trash talking and the like all making an appearance. When you’ve finished these, you can then take one of your created superstars and take them to the top in career mode. This is a simple sequence of fights for each belt with nothing really making it stand out too much. It can feel very bland. Luckily online is great and with all the match types being able to be played you’re sure to spend hours playing others around the world.

Whatsmore while creating a custom person isn’t exactly new to a game these days, Smackdown vs Raw 2010 goes one further... and then another three further after that. First up is the ‘create an entrance’ feature where not only can you use your own music and videos, but also make your way to the ring as you want. If that isn’t enough you can also design your own finisher, diving finisher and logos. And if you’re still asking for more, then you’ll be more than pleased with the option to create your own storylines. That’s right, you can now write the script your way and use one of the hundred or so videos to go with them. All of these features feel fully fleshed out rather than added on last minute and what’s even better about them is that everything you create can be traded online and downloaded.

If you watch the WWE (which I do on the odd occasion) you’ll notice a handful of additions and features that make you feel like you’re watching a live show. The little logo in the bottom left corner, a referee now coming out of the ring to count pin-falls outside, even just having your opponents leave or wait in the ring as you make your grand entrance. It’s small things like this that can make a big difference. The presentation of the entire product is surprisingly good overall.

As for the actual gameplay, with the original Smackdown games I felt the speed was perhaps too fast. Jumping off a ladder would result in the wrestler getting up almost immediately and it just didn’t seem realistic. I’m not suggesting that isn’t the case here, but at the very least it seems the speed has been slowed a fair bit which is good news. The game also has its moments where it does feel like a televised match. The whole ‘back and forth’ momentum you see on TV is here as abilities can provide losing players with a slight burst of energy, you can drag opponents onto other wrestlers for the pin as a special guest referee and it just feels like a wrestling game should. Control wise everything feels right. Reversals are tough to master but extremely rewarding when pulled off correctly, shifting round the ring and performing flamboyant moves is fairly simple and overall the whole experience never feels like your battling the controls like many other fighters out there.

One key example was an elimination chamber match I had with my two housemates. We managed to make it to the final three then becoming two as I managed to make my cockier friend tap to a submission. Soon after I was hit with a Code Breaker but managed to somehow kick out just before the three count. The match continued until the moment I nailed him with an Attitude Adjustment. Being a little confident I figured I’d taunt a little before going in for the pin. As I did HHH reversed it into a roll up and beat me. I was gobsmacked and that’s exactly how it should be. Like the drama on TV it can carry over onto the game and I love it!

There are issues however that seem odd. The automatic focus system is annoying as one moment you can be facing the guy you want to pound on only to have you attention change during. Ladder matches (while great fun) have one flaw in that you can’t knock down the hardware with only one person on it. Instead you must climb the other side which can often result in the suitcase being grabbed before you make it to the top. Also the voice acting can at times feel so hammy or just disjointed it’s ridiculous. These people perform in front of hundreds of thousands of people, surely they could record some better samples. Not game breaking, but there are problems that could have been addressed given the polish on certain parts of the game.

Overall I have to say I’m extremely impressed with Smackdown vs Raw 2010. While it has made some huge changes since the originals back on the original Playstation, it still feels like a Smackdown game at heart with it’s almost arcade like feel and fast pace. While there is still room for improvement, this definitely feels like a big step toward making you feel like you’re a wrestler in the ring squaring off with the greats. I definitely can’t wait for the 2011 edition!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.