GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Vempire (PSP Minis)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Vempire'.
Wed 03/02/10 at 23:18
"possibly impossible"
“Ooh!” I thought, “a game about Vampires.” I eagerly paid the fee to download the PSP Mini game to my console.

“Oh!” was the next thought, on seeing the game there in front of me, “it’s another puzzle game.”

A quick byte
So Vempire is a puzzle game, one in a similar vein to Bejewelled and those other games where you need to rotate the pieces to match other pieces touching them and therefore make them disappear. It has a vampire theme (surprise surprise) but this in itself doesn’t really make the game unique.

Batty
The game throws in something of an odd curveball, it adds bosses. Yes, those end of level bad guys usually found in hack and slash games have been transported to the puzzle genre. The idea here is that they’ll ‘attack’ you by trying to make your progress as hard as possible, appearing in the middle of the screen, slowing your cursor and generally making your life as hard as possible, the swines!

An Arty Fact
You can also pick up Artefacts, which are basically power-ups to make certain boxes appear more often, like different coloured vials. These, in turn, can unlock spells which make a load of blocks disappear.

It’s an interesting concept in theory, but when you’re up against the clock and have a big annoying monster taking up half the screen, even for a second, it can be a bit taxing on the old brain to take all this in.

Fangs for the memories
The graphics aren’t going to win any awards but at least they’ve tried to provide a nice comic touch to the proceedings. Your vampire overlooks the proceedings with some nice little animation and the bosses are all quite funny, despite being annoying.

The pictures you need to match are basic but do their job well, never seeing cluttered. It tries to go for a different feel with a little animated clock timer and vials of liquid to show progress but sometimes these can be more of a hindrance than a help.

Sucks?
Vempire isn’t the game I thought it might be, it’s not even a brilliant puzzle game, but it’s playable enough and could be a bit of fun if the price is lowered. It has replay value from trying to beat your time and score so if you’re a puzzle fan it still might be worth a look.

In the end, Vempire is more a Halloween Children’s Party than a Hammer Horror, but like trick or treat it can keep you sweet for a bit.

6/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 03/02/10 at 23:18
"possibly impossible"
“Ooh!” I thought, “a game about Vampires.” I eagerly paid the fee to download the PSP Mini game to my console.

“Oh!” was the next thought, on seeing the game there in front of me, “it’s another puzzle game.”

A quick byte
So Vempire is a puzzle game, one in a similar vein to Bejewelled and those other games where you need to rotate the pieces to match other pieces touching them and therefore make them disappear. It has a vampire theme (surprise surprise) but this in itself doesn’t really make the game unique.

Batty
The game throws in something of an odd curveball, it adds bosses. Yes, those end of level bad guys usually found in hack and slash games have been transported to the puzzle genre. The idea here is that they’ll ‘attack’ you by trying to make your progress as hard as possible, appearing in the middle of the screen, slowing your cursor and generally making your life as hard as possible, the swines!

An Arty Fact
You can also pick up Artefacts, which are basically power-ups to make certain boxes appear more often, like different coloured vials. These, in turn, can unlock spells which make a load of blocks disappear.

It’s an interesting concept in theory, but when you’re up against the clock and have a big annoying monster taking up half the screen, even for a second, it can be a bit taxing on the old brain to take all this in.

Fangs for the memories
The graphics aren’t going to win any awards but at least they’ve tried to provide a nice comic touch to the proceedings. Your vampire overlooks the proceedings with some nice little animation and the bosses are all quite funny, despite being annoying.

The pictures you need to match are basic but do their job well, never seeing cluttered. It tries to go for a different feel with a little animated clock timer and vials of liquid to show progress but sometimes these can be more of a hindrance than a help.

Sucks?
Vempire isn’t the game I thought it might be, it’s not even a brilliant puzzle game, but it’s playable enough and could be a bit of fun if the price is lowered. It has replay value from trying to beat your time and score so if you’re a puzzle fan it still might be worth a look.

In the end, Vempire is more a Halloween Children’s Party than a Hammer Horror, but like trick or treat it can keep you sweet for a bit.

6/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.