GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"LastFM"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/01/07 at 12:20
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
For those who don't know, LastFM is the sucessor to audioscrobbler.
For those who don't know, Audioscrobbler was basically a huge database of music listeners which recorded the information of the music you listened to and gave you running statistics, in the form of charts. That sounds dull but it was actually surprisingly interesting.

LastFM gives you all this (see mine: here ) and more! This is all free btw, I'm not trying to sell you anything. It also offers samples, some full track downloads in places, recommendations, I think you can do a blog on there too; if you're emo that is, blah blah, but more impressively there is an extremely extensive radio that you'll find all kinds of obscure music on. It's rather cool and for the most part all its tracks stream at fairly high bitrates.

If you want your own personal radio you do have to pay, but I don't and I don't feel it's limiting at all. All music is "tagged" by users as being specific genres and whatnot and you can tune into stations playing everything tagged as xyz, which you can mix and there's a kind of "similar artists to..." thing.

I'm not 100% sure on how the stats work now for WMP and Winamp. There used to be a plugin for your media player that recorded everything but my sister informs me this is not so anymore or it doesn't work or something, and you need their radio client running to log everything but whatever I'm sure it's not too difficult. You'll find everything you need under their tools -> downloads section.
I believe there is some form of iPod tool too, but not having an iPod I don't know anything about that.

Anyway this is all very cool but where this is really going is: Back in the day we used to have an SR group. Unfortunately, this is pretty much dead now and most of its members have disbanded to... *spooky voice* the other place... and Oasis and Alien Ant Farm are now among the most popular weekly artists, so there's clearly something wrong. Well actually judging from the fact that the most popular artist has 3 listeners over 34 members in this week's chart, barely anyone still has their software installed.

So. If anybody else has an account there or would be willing to sign up and such, I thought it would be rather cool if we made a Freeola group. But I'm not making one if I'm going to be the only person in it.
Sat 07/07/07 at 14:04
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I don't use their software, I can run their streams through my Amarok (media player) but I do sometimes, less than I used to though, find it's hard to connect or streams drop etc.

This is a bit crap, there are only four of us here with a LastFM account?
I'm sure there are far more of us than that who listen to music on our computers so everyone go get an account :P
Fri 06/07/07 at 09:27
Regular
"Lets Rock n Roll"
It is good, and i listen to it quite regularily, but i find the software to be inconsistent at times, it regularily freezes up and stops playing at times. but still a wide selection of music always good.
Mon 02/07/07 at 14:54
Regular
Anyone still use this? I've had my account ages but had a whole year at uni where I couldn't use it, trying to get it to reflect my current music taste as it changed quite a bit over that year!

http://last.fm/user/mjswerve is mine by the way
Thu 01/02/07 at 14:07
Regular
"cachoo"
The iPod thing is cool. One annoying thing is that you can listen to a song 50 times on the iPod yet it will only submit it once.

LastFM is still great.
Sun 28/01/07 at 22:48
Regular
"Monochromatic"
It's all simple enough. I created the one on PM before handing it over to Timmargh when i left. Deleted my account last week.
Sun 28/01/07 at 12:20
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
For those who don't know, LastFM is the sucessor to audioscrobbler.
For those who don't know, Audioscrobbler was basically a huge database of music listeners which recorded the information of the music you listened to and gave you running statistics, in the form of charts. That sounds dull but it was actually surprisingly interesting.

LastFM gives you all this (see mine: here ) and more! This is all free btw, I'm not trying to sell you anything. It also offers samples, some full track downloads in places, recommendations, I think you can do a blog on there too; if you're emo that is, blah blah, but more impressively there is an extremely extensive radio that you'll find all kinds of obscure music on. It's rather cool and for the most part all its tracks stream at fairly high bitrates.

If you want your own personal radio you do have to pay, but I don't and I don't feel it's limiting at all. All music is "tagged" by users as being specific genres and whatnot and you can tune into stations playing everything tagged as xyz, which you can mix and there's a kind of "similar artists to..." thing.

I'm not 100% sure on how the stats work now for WMP and Winamp. There used to be a plugin for your media player that recorded everything but my sister informs me this is not so anymore or it doesn't work or something, and you need their radio client running to log everything but whatever I'm sure it's not too difficult. You'll find everything you need under their tools -> downloads section.
I believe there is some form of iPod tool too, but not having an iPod I don't know anything about that.

Anyway this is all very cool but where this is really going is: Back in the day we used to have an SR group. Unfortunately, this is pretty much dead now and most of its members have disbanded to... *spooky voice* the other place... and Oasis and Alien Ant Farm are now among the most popular weekly artists, so there's clearly something wrong. Well actually judging from the fact that the most popular artist has 3 listeners over 34 members in this week's chart, barely anyone still has their software installed.

So. If anybody else has an account there or would be willing to sign up and such, I thought it would be rather cool if we made a Freeola group. But I'm not making one if I'm going to be the only person in it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.