GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My name?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/08/01 at 21:32
Regular
Today is my last day as a sixteen year old. I am not writing this topic so I can glory in the "happy birthday" messages, I am writing this because I feel I need to, and for some strange reason I also want to put it in prime. Why? Because this is Fog, and this is what this post is about.

My name was Monkey, I was a biased ninty that wrote only to win gameaday. I used to make a fool of myself to impress my friends...

I started life as a newshunter. I visted IGN, PlanetN2000, and things like that everyday. A sad life of searching for things that seemed to different me from any other kid perhaps in the way of an escape from the partying dance music loving mob that seem to surround my age. No fashion to their ego and no love in their soul, without character and without passion, yes, teenagers.

Stuck alone in a world with no friends, I carried on searching for games news, things to occupy my mind as my life dwindled on, beating down the thoughts of better times with any remaining will power I had left inside me.

Yes, my name was Monkey, and that was my life. And then, through the wonders of the global net that stretched over carrying me with it, I discovered, only on the search for more games news, this. Special Reserve. The Fog.

Things were much different back then. It was a much different layout, with the actual replies headings being seen on the front page as well as the topics... you know the style. If that happened today it would take a few hundred pages just to see the worlds longest thread.

And still my life dwindled carelessly, falling asleep at the wheel, slightly curving off the road...

And then of course, the day came where I stepped cautiously over those newspapers, knife in one hand, life in the other... and then?

I indeed killed someone that day, I killed the old me... as pathetic as it sounds. No longer was there the pathetic Monkey. The boy with no friends, spent his life endlessly pursuing the work of others.

The only reason, as pathetic as it sounds that I write here today, is so I could write here today. So I could continue on the story. I had finally found something that sparked me emotionally... a way to produce creatively, in the same way as some people can be their best with a paintbrush... I had found a mouse and keyboard.

I started to write a book, The Legacy of the Swordspines. It was quite a complex little tale... perhaps one day I'll actually finish the damn thing. :0)

Perhaps one of the problems with it was the amount of characters in it... each with their own personalitys. It was rather odd being about ten people. Acren Tigres, Umar Mur, Renno Seio, Galen and Etur O'Keill, Thera Hodder, Kei Hada... and of course, Grix Thraves.

Born again into a name, into a new world of light to see through and learn through, I stepped back into the forums.

I redeemed myself, and to celebrate my newly found sanity, I came up with the idea of my brain talking to me. I began to write so much better posts and topics... I won gameaday a few more times.

Yes, I did make many friends on the internet, but I made friends in the other side of Grix too. After the complete confusion that left me stranded in work for half a year, I began to do that work harder, beginning to see my goals in life. From the day the newspapers spoke to me I knew I needed to develop the creative aspect of my mind.

And so Swordspines eventually took on a new meaning... in the book, the Swordspines were the group of people named. Now it's the name of the games development company which I believe I can say that I own.

I continued on, writing and developing my quite empty mind, still watching as the teenagers still went out partying and clubbing... Put me on a beach with the sunset, drink, music and friends any day.

Clouds became more meaningful. I've never really noticed clouds before, just if they reminded me of something I'd seen before... but now they move elegently across the sky strimming the air between the gaps, the moon shining down perfectly across the lands and lighting the fields...

The world was perfect, my life was perfect, and so came the Fog.

No longer did I write to win games. We all lived on here as one giant family, intelligence ruled, you would be lucky if even one newbie came along a week. Silent, quiet and just good fun.

Now... well, we're all still here, just. Meka has experienced the miracle of childbirth once more, Sniper still continues to make us smile, Ant continues to pee over everyones newly cleaned kitchen floors, Tony is still as mad as ever, FM, Sheepy, RBS, Shanksy, er-no, Pb, Venombyte, Goatboy, Your Honour, all the staff... I could name so many that make the Fog as special as it is.

This post is just a thank you to everyone who has been in my life for the last year. For without you, I would not be here today.

And as for me?

My name is Grix Thraves. And that is how I shall stay. :0)
Sat 11/08/01 at 11:50
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
uh huh!!
Sat 11/08/01 at 11:33
Regular
My names Dringo a boy on a mission to defend Nintendo to the death!

Sounds as corny as the post!
Sat 11/08/01 at 11:33
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Hm! When were you in the newspaper Grix!! and wat for!! I have only ever been in the School newspaper!!
Sat 11/08/01 at 11:24
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I nearly missed this post altogether... I miss so many topics these days. Ah well, just wait till October. I'll be back on full-time then.

Grix Thraves. Like most of you, I don't know his real name, but then I'm not sure I want to either. The mystery of not knowing these things is important, it allows my imagination more freedom to generate opinons of them, based soley on the content of their posts.

I think I could safely say, the only FOG member I've seen a picture of is Tony. I'll forever be wondering what I miseed out on by not seeing the legendary 'jedi-meka' picture...
Tue 07/08/01 at 21:28
Regular
"I like cheese"
Hey, Grix you didn't answer my question about Swordspines!
Tue 07/08/01 at 20:16
I think birthdays are sacird things of old. Although I nkno what I will be receiving usually.
Tue 07/08/01 at 19:33
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Oh and I thought I was the only 17 year old.
Well not for long it seems.

Happy Birthday Grix!
Tue 07/08/01 at 17:53
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Thank you MJ.

zzzzzzz......hey whats this....???? Someone noticed me......oh cr@p the world is going to end.

(;o|
Mon 06/08/01 at 23:56
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
The Game wrote:

"a bit wierd I know, but would you expect anyless from Mr. and Mrs. Thraves?!"

That wasn't a shot at your folks Grix, I didn't mean it like that...

^_^
Mon 06/08/01 at 23:54
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
His name is Marcello Marcello... a bit wierd I know, but would you expect anyless from Mr. and Mrs. Thraves?!

(How can he be Marcello whan they're Thraves?)

Hmmmm..... I'll get back to you on that one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.