GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Simple Question"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/01/07 at 11:13
Regular
"Long time no see!"
We've had broadband for about three years now and this is something I've always had on my mind without ever getting around to find out about it.

Now, my understanding of broadband, as opposed to the old dial-up connection, is that your computer is always connected to the internet.

Am I right?

If this is correct, then why, each time I open Internet Explorer (or any other) do I have to go through the on-screen dial-up process (there's no bleep-bleep-blorking from inside the box)?

Maybe this is how it's supposed to be and perhaps being 'connected' 24/7 means something else entirely... We've been paying the same amount of cash and getting a much faster online experience then we used to.

Well, I use the term 'much faster' rather lightly. Recently, our PC's been getting slower and slower. Less and less responsive. And it seems to crash quite frequently unless I run IE7 without add-ons (which still seems to freeze-up after an hour or so anyway).

I'm aware there could be a million-and-one solutions to why things are going so slowly but I'm only really after a response to the first question - otherwise, you know, this thing could go on for months!

Thanks guys, your help is always appreciated! :)
Sun 28/01/07 at 12:34
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Aha, thank you, that makes a lot of sense to me now. :)

(See, I told you it was simple!! ;D )

I get over my other problems by spending a whole day scanning the computer and nothing else - PRAYING it doesn't even once try to crash on me.
Sun 28/01/07 at 12:24
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
We-ell having a quick generic bash at your second question, chances are if your computer has started getting noticeably slower in a short period of time, it's become infected by a load of spyware.
Download Spybot from here http://www.spybot.info/
Install it, update, then run it and remove anything that's found.
Sun 28/01/07 at 12:20
Regular
Morning
I understand your question as my dad was mumping at me with exactly the same comments, lets see if I can help out with an with an explanation.

I connect via a modem/router and we have a network of computers at home. so when I connect all I do (or anyone in my house) is we open IE or outlook for email and we are connected, no sign in or password required! as they are all stored in the Router.

In my dads case ( may be the same with you?) he uses a modem, and the settings for conection were / are stored on his PC just like dial up days, so when he connects all it is asking is for confirmation of his user name and password then you are in.

You are always connected as my understanding of BB is that your line is active at all times my ADSL light is always on unless there is a problem, in the bad old days of Dial up we sometimes had to try several times to get an available connection at peak times! a problem that went away with an always ON BB connection.

Hope that makes a bit of sense.

Kev
Sun 28/01/07 at 11:13
Regular
"Long time no see!"
We've had broadband for about three years now and this is something I've always had on my mind without ever getting around to find out about it.

Now, my understanding of broadband, as opposed to the old dial-up connection, is that your computer is always connected to the internet.

Am I right?

If this is correct, then why, each time I open Internet Explorer (or any other) do I have to go through the on-screen dial-up process (there's no bleep-bleep-blorking from inside the box)?

Maybe this is how it's supposed to be and perhaps being 'connected' 24/7 means something else entirely... We've been paying the same amount of cash and getting a much faster online experience then we used to.

Well, I use the term 'much faster' rather lightly. Recently, our PC's been getting slower and slower. Less and less responsive. And it seems to crash quite frequently unless I run IE7 without add-ons (which still seems to freeze-up after an hour or so anyway).

I'm aware there could be a million-and-one solutions to why things are going so slowly but I'm only really after a response to the first question - otherwise, you know, this thing could go on for months!

Thanks guys, your help is always appreciated! :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.