GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Graphics to open a new era af gaming once again???"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/08/01 at 16:10
Regular
The Playstation 2 has not been without it's problems and fundamental issues which have led to it taking some serious stick about why it costs so much. People expected the Playstation 2 to revolutionise gaming overnight and wanted their games to alter in ways far beyond the abilities of any console system. But why were they allowed to expect this?? Because it is happening, but only slowly.

After the last couple of months of having Nintendo fans claim gameplay is all that matters, but swipe at the PS2 everytime a new screenshot of a Gamecube game is released, what have we got to look forward to in the future?? Have a wander around the depths of some of the bigger games info websites around and they will show you some of the most anticipated games on the PS2. These games are set to be released 6 months after the two new consoles are on the market, so will we see the PS2 compete with the Gamecube and Xbox with big hitting games in terms of looks and gameplay?? Well, I think so anyway.

Some of the animation being shown in the upcoming games is quite remarkable when you look even at games as recent as Red Faction. Some people will cliam that the games on the newer systems will not show as big a jump as going from say a Snes to a Playstation because you are not making the transition from 2d to 3d environments. However I am beginning to disagree with this. The abilities of the new machines to use graphical effects and marvelous animation opens a whole new world of realism in games. When I got hold of Onimusha, I was amazed when I got to certain places, such as the waterfall and the jetty. The waterfall looked outstanding, and the boats looked fantastic. All it would take is a little imagination, devlopment time and a fitting story to use the animation and overall brilliant looks of games to create an experience people shouldn't miss.

There ae some marvelous games already in development, which, if they are finished properly, will have players in games for the experience and sense of achievment, sure we should still have the mindless arcade fun, or the hack and slash games so that our brains don't go into overload, but if you have a PS2 be prepared to experience games rather than just play them.
Mon 13/08/01 at 17:52
Regular
POP
Fri 10/08/01 at 00:24
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yeah. I don't think even Nintendo have that amount of imagination though.
Fri 10/08/01 at 00:13
Regular
Good idea for a game though, how much better would Shadow of Memories have been if that was possible??
Fri 10/08/01 at 00:05
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It's a pleasure.
Thu 09/08/01 at 19:01
Regular
Thanks for the explanation Turbonutter.
Thu 09/08/01 at 02:47
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Code: 144 Complete wrote:
> Is there 4D environments and can the PS2 do it?

The 4th dimension is time, so it depends on how you look at it. The 4th dimension is a very complex theory to grasp hold of and I know it took me many nights laying awake at to get my head round it. It's not something that can really be shown, especially through a TV, but you can translate it to a more literal sense. You could either have a game where it is properly real time, based on the PS2's clock. This way if you play Gran Turismo 4D (example) at night, the track will be night, if you play it at dusk the track will be at dusk and so on.

You could also see it as having the ability to travel back in time. So, if you were playing a time travelling adventure you could go back in time, say, an hour, you would see yourself doing what you actually did an hour ago. This is similar to the "ghost" replays in the GT games but on a larger scale. However, this would take a large amount of storage, probably more than a memory card can hold and could be dangerous to RAM resources. I think we'll only see these games in conjunction with a HDD.

Therefore, the PS2 can't display 4D enviroments as that's not possible, but it can definitely do representations.
Wed 08/08/01 at 22:30
Regular
"Back For Good"
For years the only word to come out of a N64 owner's mouth is "GRAPHICS" yes the N64 doesn't have any so called squares but it gets away with tht by blurring it instead. Now they claim it's gameplay thats all that matters when their games are repetitive and kiddy. Gameplay is what kept the PSX alive with it's fast paced wipeout and Classic titles.

The PS2 has had a rocky start and has been let down by dreadfull conversions which is why I WANT AN EXTERNAL MOD CHIP PEOPLE but the great games are rolling in and Devil may cry looks better than any game to be released in the near future and can you believe Japan get this game this month, thats sooooo annoying.
Wed 08/08/01 at 22:13
Regular
Is there 4D environments and can the PS2 do it?
Mon 06/08/01 at 16:43
The graphics in Red Faction seem to betray PC development to me. If you look at PC UT for example, the character graphics were good a couple of years back, but they are starting to look more than a little clunky in comparison with what the PS2 has to offer. I think if Red Faction had come to the PS2 'fresh', it would have looked a lot more next gen.
Mon 06/08/01 at 16:10
Regular
The Playstation 2 has not been without it's problems and fundamental issues which have led to it taking some serious stick about why it costs so much. People expected the Playstation 2 to revolutionise gaming overnight and wanted their games to alter in ways far beyond the abilities of any console system. But why were they allowed to expect this?? Because it is happening, but only slowly.

After the last couple of months of having Nintendo fans claim gameplay is all that matters, but swipe at the PS2 everytime a new screenshot of a Gamecube game is released, what have we got to look forward to in the future?? Have a wander around the depths of some of the bigger games info websites around and they will show you some of the most anticipated games on the PS2. These games are set to be released 6 months after the two new consoles are on the market, so will we see the PS2 compete with the Gamecube and Xbox with big hitting games in terms of looks and gameplay?? Well, I think so anyway.

Some of the animation being shown in the upcoming games is quite remarkable when you look even at games as recent as Red Faction. Some people will cliam that the games on the newer systems will not show as big a jump as going from say a Snes to a Playstation because you are not making the transition from 2d to 3d environments. However I am beginning to disagree with this. The abilities of the new machines to use graphical effects and marvelous animation opens a whole new world of realism in games. When I got hold of Onimusha, I was amazed when I got to certain places, such as the waterfall and the jetty. The waterfall looked outstanding, and the boats looked fantastic. All it would take is a little imagination, devlopment time and a fitting story to use the animation and overall brilliant looks of games to create an experience people shouldn't miss.

There ae some marvelous games already in development, which, if they are finished properly, will have players in games for the experience and sense of achievment, sure we should still have the mindless arcade fun, or the hack and slash games so that our brains don't go into overload, but if you have a PS2 be prepared to experience games rather than just play them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.