GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rainbow Six: Vegas (Xbox360)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas'.
Sat 27/01/07 at 17:03
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
The Rainbow six series has always been hugely popular, taking on the terrorists of the world with a fine arsenal of weapons and equipment to aid in the usual hostage rescuing and bomb disposals with the main aim of saving the day once again.

This time round though there are a few changes. Being a next gen title the graphics as you would expect are excellent. The game looks spectacular on a large high definition television and the explosions and gun fights look uber realistic at times. The sound equally matches the visuals, with 5.1 surround sound you'll get a really awesome experience, hearing footsteps or nearby enemies or them shooting out from distance rooms that someone is coming and they need backup. Add to that the sounds of gunfire, explosions and screaming injured terrorists and it really creates a very realistic atmosphere from start to finish.

You control Gabe Logan, having watched two of your team mate get taken hostage by terrorists you and your two new team mates must progress through Mexican towns, las Vegas and a few other locations taking on terrorists. The usual rescuing terrorists and bomb disposals are required, but having two team members at your disposal you can make full use of the equipment such as flash grenades, breach charges and smoke grenades to quickly deal with terrorists.

The control systems has been reworked slightly. The game is still a first person shooter but you can now take cover behind objects and walls, from which you can swing round to take down enemies or shoot from behind the cover itself. You can also send your team mates into cover positions as you proceed through each mission.

The levels are quite large and split into the various objectives that you must achieve, there are also multiple ways to go through each level – allowing you to sneak through silently with the sound suppressors on your weapons or to charge in guns blazing taking on multiple enemies at once.

I found the whole game excellent fun to play through, the story pans out like most other shooters that involve terrorists. My only gripe was that the story doesn't really end – just sets up for a sequel game to continue where this one stops.

Where Rainbow Six: Vegas excels for me is with the online play. Over Xbox live you can play the single player missions as co-op missions with 3 other human players. You can also take part in various multiplayer modes such as attack and defend, team survival, retrieval and co-op terrorist hunt. All modes are a little different and have different objectives but with quite a wide selection of maps there is a huge amount of enjoyment to be had playing with your friends. When you fist head online you decide the look of your character (or add your own face using a vision camera if you like) and what armour, camouflage and weapons you want to use. Nice little customisations to make each character that little bit different. I've had this game since release and find myself playing it online when I get the chance. For me it is easily the best online game available on the 360.

Sounds perfect - well almost, you'll find the usual problems online with some lag in games (although I've found if you play in rooms with friends you know and all have decent connections then the lag is almost non existent. Aside from gears of war on the 360 and zelda on the wii I've yet to play a better game over the past 12 months.

If you were a fan of the previous games or any other first person shooter then you really ought to check this out rather sharpish. This is a must have. Also if you tend to find yourself favouring playing games over live as opposed to the offline mode then this game is certainly one of the best online titles you can get. It will definitely take something special to top this in terms of the enjoyment that can be had online.
Fri 24/08/07 at 16:03
Regular
does anyone know any cheats i keep on getting killed can anyone help me
Sat 27/01/07 at 17:03
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
The Rainbow six series has always been hugely popular, taking on the terrorists of the world with a fine arsenal of weapons and equipment to aid in the usual hostage rescuing and bomb disposals with the main aim of saving the day once again.

This time round though there are a few changes. Being a next gen title the graphics as you would expect are excellent. The game looks spectacular on a large high definition television and the explosions and gun fights look uber realistic at times. The sound equally matches the visuals, with 5.1 surround sound you'll get a really awesome experience, hearing footsteps or nearby enemies or them shooting out from distance rooms that someone is coming and they need backup. Add to that the sounds of gunfire, explosions and screaming injured terrorists and it really creates a very realistic atmosphere from start to finish.

You control Gabe Logan, having watched two of your team mate get taken hostage by terrorists you and your two new team mates must progress through Mexican towns, las Vegas and a few other locations taking on terrorists. The usual rescuing terrorists and bomb disposals are required, but having two team members at your disposal you can make full use of the equipment such as flash grenades, breach charges and smoke grenades to quickly deal with terrorists.

The control systems has been reworked slightly. The game is still a first person shooter but you can now take cover behind objects and walls, from which you can swing round to take down enemies or shoot from behind the cover itself. You can also send your team mates into cover positions as you proceed through each mission.

The levels are quite large and split into the various objectives that you must achieve, there are also multiple ways to go through each level – allowing you to sneak through silently with the sound suppressors on your weapons or to charge in guns blazing taking on multiple enemies at once.

I found the whole game excellent fun to play through, the story pans out like most other shooters that involve terrorists. My only gripe was that the story doesn't really end – just sets up for a sequel game to continue where this one stops.

Where Rainbow Six: Vegas excels for me is with the online play. Over Xbox live you can play the single player missions as co-op missions with 3 other human players. You can also take part in various multiplayer modes such as attack and defend, team survival, retrieval and co-op terrorist hunt. All modes are a little different and have different objectives but with quite a wide selection of maps there is a huge amount of enjoyment to be had playing with your friends. When you fist head online you decide the look of your character (or add your own face using a vision camera if you like) and what armour, camouflage and weapons you want to use. Nice little customisations to make each character that little bit different. I've had this game since release and find myself playing it online when I get the chance. For me it is easily the best online game available on the 360.

Sounds perfect - well almost, you'll find the usual problems online with some lag in games (although I've found if you play in rooms with friends you know and all have decent connections then the lag is almost non existent. Aside from gears of war on the 360 and zelda on the wii I've yet to play a better game over the past 12 months.

If you were a fan of the previous games or any other first person shooter then you really ought to check this out rather sharpish. This is a must have. Also if you tend to find yourself favouring playing games over live as opposed to the offline mode then this game is certainly one of the best online titles you can get. It will definitely take something special to top this in terms of the enjoyment that can be had online.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.