GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"'The Future Of Gaming (Chat)'"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 05/08/01 at 21:00
Regular
Let's break the trend, and discuss, in a relaxed, chilled out karma style chat, something that is rarely talked about anymore - the future...

What's going to happen in 6/12/24/48 months time? What price will the PS2 be? Will people remember Sega's last console, the erm...the Dre..the Dreamcast?

Will Microsoft have conquered the world?
Will people be saying -

"What's a Game Boy?"

Will we still be using our hands to play games?

I reckon voice recognition in gaming will be everpresent - it is the future. Interactivity is a must, AI will be more advanced than most people, maybe VR will just be a thing of the past - VR will be R!

>Enter the Matrix<

Good day, discuss, the future.

We will control it, but never have it.
Sun 05/08/01 at 21:00
Let's break the trend, and discuss, in a relaxed, chilled out karma style chat, something that is rarely talked about anymore - the future...

What's going to happen in 6/12/24/48 months time? What price will the PS2 be? Will people remember Sega's last console, the erm...the Dre..the Dreamcast?

Will Microsoft have conquered the world?
Will people be saying -

"What's a Game Boy?"

Will we still be using our hands to play games?

I reckon voice recognition in gaming will be everpresent - it is the future. Interactivity is a must, AI will be more advanced than most people, maybe VR will just be a thing of the past - VR will be R!

>Enter the Matrix<

Good day, discuss, the future.

We will control it, but never have it.
Sun 05/08/01 at 21:29
Dumdeedum...

>Dan2K1 twiddles thumbs, waiting for a reply<
Sun 05/08/01 at 21:47
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Sun 05/08/01 at 21:50
I think that in 30 years all the ice caps will have melted and everyone on earth will have drowned.

But, as I always say, s**t happens.
Sun 05/08/01 at 21:53
Regular
"Randomly Appearing"
Beware the Toads wrote:
> I think that in 30 years all the ice caps will have melted and
> everyone on earth will have drowned.

But, as I always say, s**t
> happens.

yep lifes a b!tch then you marry one
Sun 05/08/01 at 22:26
lol!
Sun 05/08/01 at 22:31
To be honest, I think AI will subside as online gaming paves the way for a brighter future.

However good AI gets, it won't surpass the human mind. The ability to play other humans on-line will render AI fairly useless as all the thinking characters need to do can be done by real people.

If however, AI does surpass the human mind then games will be real hard and we won't want to play anymore.
Mon 06/08/01 at 00:06
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
48 months down the line I'll probably still have the Dreamcast. My collection is up to 51 games now, and considering these things take a couple of weeks each on average to complete, and I've still got about 240 odd games to collect, that's a good few years gaming yet to be done.

The X-Box will get in the way of that I suppose, although I don't expect that in 2 years time we'll see the kind of 200 game catalogue that the PS2 currently has to choose from.

Maybe 100 or so might realistic by then, considering the size these games are going to be and the amount of work that will be needed to produce AAA titles of the future.

In two years time I expect the PS3 prototype my be in the testing stages, I also suspect that the X-Box may be revamped with an upgraded version (faster processor/better video card) to keep it in line with the PC gaming market.

Online gaming 'should' be the norm by then, with a bit of luck more than 90% of households will have access to a cable modem or equivalent, making the 56k V90 modem a thing of the past.

Perhaps the government may finally help put an end to the high prices we're paying and bring us in to line with the States regarding the monthly charge for high-speed internet access.

One thing I DON'T want to see in 2 years time is HeadHunter getting canned for the DC. It's the most anticipated game out there at the moment, and the first title ever produced for the DC by Amuze Software, and I'm fervently praying that it gets released this November as planned.

Or else I'll just have to make do with Soul Calibur or 18-Wheeler instead...
Mon 06/08/01 at 11:56
You don't have a DC? You sold it to your sister remember?
Mon 06/08/01 at 12:56
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
There's a post somewhere around here that says I changed my mind but I can't be bothered to dig it up.

There's also a Dreamcast and 38 games sitting next to me which kinda emphasises the fact that I still have it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.