GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What Gamers Want and need..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 05/08/01 at 16:51
Regular
Yes another reminiscing topic by old T_W but it has to be done, doesn’t it? This time I am looking back to when games were just starting to be a hit. The graphics were poor but companies focused on making the game so deep you could drown in it and this involved a lot of RPG’s and platformers. Also we saw some great, simple little platformers that were pretty ugly but a joy to play and being quite young when I played some of these I waited until that console was a little out of date (does it matter) and really got the benefits of it.

You see the company new the graphics were a bit low at that point and that they would have to take the gamers mind off of the blobs on the screen and to focus on what they are doing. That is kind of how the whole role-playing game started and luckily we are still seeing little gems like Final fantasy or Grandia 2, which use the old theory well, and nice graphics.

So what do you have to do to make a successful game that doesn’t focus on graphics? Well I’d like to see Nintendo, Sega and Sony get set a challenge where they have like 10 bit graphics and have to make a great RPG out of it and see who’s gets most anticipation or hype out of it and then through more competitions on top of that and see who would over all and be the gaming masters for ever!

A Prime example of a game with terrible graphics and gameplay that is so deep a fish would drown and a great title for all ages and types of gamers. This game was for the Amiga and PC and maybe something else but I cant commit to memory. I can’t remember much about it but I want it!

In my opinion games are starting to get sloppier, gameplay wise and depth. Some games released for various consoles now, which have good graphics, have as much depth as a puddle after a 30 second rain shower! These games come out quite a lot here are a few.

Army men—Here the graphics are poor and by releasing a new title each month the game barely changes. They put in another type of gun and give it a new combat style name which makes it sound ‘average’. The graphics aren’t awful but just play it for 2 hours… I double dare you.

Exhibition of Speed—This is a title for the Dreamcast and if you picked up a recent issue you would have seen it. Again the graphics aren’t horrible but there is like one mode where you have to win a lot of boring, endless racing. I have played games like this before and believe it or not but this one holds you back when you start winning so the other cars ‘stand a chance’.

Warriors of might and magic—Here we go. This game’s graphics are “average” I quote from Khazar who has looked into this game. “It simply has no depth and it’s that and the gameplay that lack and in this game and the story is so deprived that there isn’t even any point of carrying on” Khazar goes on. But then it is made by 3DO and if I saw the boss from this company then I would poke him in the eye for even letting me witness the advertisement circling this game!

Now those were some of the games that I think were deprived of anything great what so ever apart from “average” graphics. I have now lined up some of the games that have depth, graphics and great storylines.

Final Fantasy Series—These games started many years ago and the standard has really kept at a high just like we all knew they would. Squaresoft have really put every ounce of their effort into these games and unlike some more unsuccessful companies concentrate on one or two games instead of about 8. These games take about 5 months to finish and I doubt if you even will because there are so many alternate sides and sub stories to the game. There are some well-developed characters in this kind of game.

Shenmue---- This game has so much to it and a joy to look at and play. Like some RPG’s on the game boy you go around talking to people getting closer to in this case who killed your father. You can talk to anyone you see and pick up virtually anything you see. Everything is realistic and you can even make phone calls!

I actually can’t think of many at the moment but I don’t have time cause khazar didn’t take is pill and is all mad at me so I better rap it up.

Games need a bit of everything. Nowadays I go for games without big time graphics, as they don’t really bring much in the long run. I think all gamers crave games that aren’t just long to complete because some people might get bored. But the public needs something that is deep and has about 4 modes all with so much to do and have fun with which is, however what games are all about!

Cheers for reading.

T_W
Sun 05/08/01 at 16:51
Yes another reminiscing topic by old T_W but it has to be done, doesn’t it? This time I am looking back to when games were just starting to be a hit. The graphics were poor but companies focused on making the game so deep you could drown in it and this involved a lot of RPG’s and platformers. Also we saw some great, simple little platformers that were pretty ugly but a joy to play and being quite young when I played some of these I waited until that console was a little out of date (does it matter) and really got the benefits of it.

You see the company new the graphics were a bit low at that point and that they would have to take the gamers mind off of the blobs on the screen and to focus on what they are doing. That is kind of how the whole role-playing game started and luckily we are still seeing little gems like Final fantasy or Grandia 2, which use the old theory well, and nice graphics.

So what do you have to do to make a successful game that doesn’t focus on graphics? Well I’d like to see Nintendo, Sega and Sony get set a challenge where they have like 10 bit graphics and have to make a great RPG out of it and see who’s gets most anticipation or hype out of it and then through more competitions on top of that and see who would over all and be the gaming masters for ever!

A Prime example of a game with terrible graphics and gameplay that is so deep a fish would drown and a great title for all ages and types of gamers. This game was for the Amiga and PC and maybe something else but I cant commit to memory. I can’t remember much about it but I want it!

In my opinion games are starting to get sloppier, gameplay wise and depth. Some games released for various consoles now, which have good graphics, have as much depth as a puddle after a 30 second rain shower! These games come out quite a lot here are a few.

Army men—Here the graphics are poor and by releasing a new title each month the game barely changes. They put in another type of gun and give it a new combat style name which makes it sound ‘average’. The graphics aren’t awful but just play it for 2 hours… I double dare you.

Exhibition of Speed—This is a title for the Dreamcast and if you picked up a recent issue you would have seen it. Again the graphics aren’t horrible but there is like one mode where you have to win a lot of boring, endless racing. I have played games like this before and believe it or not but this one holds you back when you start winning so the other cars ‘stand a chance’.

Warriors of might and magic—Here we go. This game’s graphics are “average” I quote from Khazar who has looked into this game. “It simply has no depth and it’s that and the gameplay that lack and in this game and the story is so deprived that there isn’t even any point of carrying on” Khazar goes on. But then it is made by 3DO and if I saw the boss from this company then I would poke him in the eye for even letting me witness the advertisement circling this game!

Now those were some of the games that I think were deprived of anything great what so ever apart from “average” graphics. I have now lined up some of the games that have depth, graphics and great storylines.

Final Fantasy Series—These games started many years ago and the standard has really kept at a high just like we all knew they would. Squaresoft have really put every ounce of their effort into these games and unlike some more unsuccessful companies concentrate on one or two games instead of about 8. These games take about 5 months to finish and I doubt if you even will because there are so many alternate sides and sub stories to the game. There are some well-developed characters in this kind of game.

Shenmue---- This game has so much to it and a joy to look at and play. Like some RPG’s on the game boy you go around talking to people getting closer to in this case who killed your father. You can talk to anyone you see and pick up virtually anything you see. Everything is realistic and you can even make phone calls!

I actually can’t think of many at the moment but I don’t have time cause khazar didn’t take is pill and is all mad at me so I better rap it up.

Games need a bit of everything. Nowadays I go for games without big time graphics, as they don’t really bring much in the long run. I think all gamers crave games that aren’t just long to complete because some people might get bored. But the public needs something that is deep and has about 4 modes all with so much to do and have fun with which is, however what games are all about!

Cheers for reading.

T_W
Sun 05/08/01 at 19:33
Pop!
Sun 05/08/01 at 23:55
Regular
This gamer wants 5 things:

1. Eye candy.
2. Addictive gameplay.
3. A game that is serious about not being serious.
4. Subtlety in the game structure.
5. Replay value.
Mon 06/08/01 at 00:01
Regular
TRUE
Mon 06/08/01 at 16:42
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
I'll tell you what I want out of games... fun!

Really, graphics arent everything and shouldnt be top of the list. Yes, they can help make a good game great, but if it plays like a dog then its pointless. Also, we dont need those massive lengthy plotlines, where you have to remember everything from start to where you are to do the next puzzle, I keep forgetting and lose my place!

Look at Mr Driller on the DC. It looks pants, but it has that "One more go..." feel to it that makes the games what it is. The kinda thing that you can just stick in your machine and play it, without hassle. I'm not saying that lenghy plots and great graphics are a waste of time, there are many games that do the plot thing nicely, I'm trying to say that if it plays pants, then its not worth your money, and if it plays pants because the graphics are more tweaked than the gameplay the developers have got it all wrong.

Priorities are slipping. Games are being released with great visuals, and naff playability. The writers are going to have to realise that we care more about playing them then looking at them, otherwise we'd just buy dvds, but then if we say that a game looks pants therefore it is pants regardless of the gameplay, it entices the writers to spend more development time on the looks, then the play goes out the window and we have another weak title on the shelf.

It's a tricky situation.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.