GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Not so much best graphics card, but brand..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/03/04 at 07:23
Regular
[URL]http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/ATI_Graphics_Cards.html[/URL]

I'll most likely be going for a 9800 Pro or XT (the XTs are going down in price it seems).

Well, what brand would ye recommend? I've heard good things about Hercules and Sapphire, but I have had good products from Asus and Creative in the past. The other two brands I've never heard of.

Thank you
Mon 08/03/04 at 16:21
Regular
wow, didnt know there were so many makes of cards.

I jus go with creative, they seem reliable and stuff
Mon 08/03/04 at 16:04
Regular
ßulle†† wrote:
> Finally, is the Herc 9800 XT a cool card, I have a Shuttle XPC
> that can get quite hot with my GeForce 4 Ti4600 running. I need
> something that has power, but can keep cool under pressure (sounds
> like a job advertisement!).

Try out the Tyan Tachyon series of radeon cards - they have spectacular cooling (My 9600 Pro has an amazing 75mhz clock improvement) and are very nice-looking, with an adjustable-speed fan and a heatsink that blankets the RAM too.

Highly recommended, but as Tyan Tachyon cards aren't too well known, no-one knows about em.

Heh.
Mon 08/03/04 at 14:22
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
ßulle†† wrote:
> One other question related to this - The DVI-out ports. What do they
> connect to? Every monitor I have seen only has a VGA plug.

TFT screens use DVI-out. Dont know if all have DVI-out, or whether its just the top end. You gt VGA and DVI-out so will be able to fit 2 monitors to the card at once. You also get a DVI-out to VGA converter so that you can use the DVI-out as an extra VGA port.
Mon 08/03/04 at 10:07
Regular
One other question related to this - The DVI-out ports. What do they connect to? Every monitor I have seen only has a VGA plug.
Mon 08/03/04 at 09:47
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I have the Hercules 9800 Pro and that works fine. It has copper heatsinks and a copper fan unit. The heatsinks arent normally found on other 9800 Pros so it should keep things cooler.

The Asus 9800XT looks good as it has a big heatsink and 2 fans. The Hercules 9800XT looks like it has a big fan and a large heatsink. Maybe look on review websites to see if they do any comparisions. I think both the Asus and the Hercules would preform just as well as each other and keep the same sort of temps.
Mon 08/03/04 at 08:50
Regular
That's what I thought. They've always been the most pricey in the past, but now costs have gone down, They're more appealing to me.

Thanks for your opinion. Although I'll probably go and get a card now, do you think I should wait for the next generation of cards?

Finally, is the Herc 9800 XT a cool card, I have a Shuttle XPC that can get quite hot with my GeForce 4 Ti4600 running. I need something that has power, but can keep cool under pressure (sounds like a job advertisement!).
Mon 08/03/04 at 08:40
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Go for Hercules - the GFX card pros! Trust me...they're normally a bit more pricey, but they'll last forever.
Mon 08/03/04 at 07:23
Regular
[URL]http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/ATI_Graphics_Cards.html[/URL]

I'll most likely be going for a 9800 Pro or XT (the XTs are going down in price it seems).

Well, what brand would ye recommend? I've heard good things about Hercules and Sapphire, but I have had good products from Asus and Creative in the past. The other two brands I've never heard of.

Thank you

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.