GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rumours of M$ craking down on modified Xboxes"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/03/04 at 09:31
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Lots of postings over the weekend of M$ banning you from Live if you have changed your hard-drive (even if it's locked) and banning you if you have a chip fitted and it's switched off, new Live 3.0 in due anytime soon so these crack-downs may come into effect then (or they could just be scare tactics ?)

Will post original quote later, modded Xbox owners using Live beware....
Mon 08/03/04 at 19:26
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Valentino Rossi wrote:
> DVD drive changes should be OK, it doesn't help anyone *pirate* games
> (without the mod-chip) so M$ have no reason to try and ban you.

It does though as a number of the drives used at various times were unable to read most coppied media. Granted, you'd still need the mod chip to run anything; but then without the drive the mod chip is just as useless as the drive without the chip.
Mon 08/03/04 at 15:32
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
ßulle†† wrote:
> Yeah, you're probably right. This HDD-crack-down won't affect people
> who have had their DVD drives changed will it? I got mine replaced by
> a company who are not Microsoft. Everything still works fine and I've
> never had any hiccups with it.
>
DVD drive changes should be OK, it doesn't help anyone *pirate* games (without the mod-chip) so M$ have no reason to try and ban you.
Mon 08/03/04 at 14:29
Regular
"8==="
Protest expected outside from pro-mod and anti-mod groups.

Slogans include:

"we are the mods, wea the mods, we are we are wea are the mods!"

"mod off you losers"

"In mod we trust"
Mon 08/03/04 at 10:49
Regular
I'm having a flux capacitor installed into mine.
Mon 08/03/04 at 10:13
Regular
Yeah, you're probably right. This HDD-crack-down won't affect people who have had their DVD drives changed will it? I got mine replaced by a company who are not Microsoft. Everything still works fine and I've never had any hiccups with it.

Won't change my Hard drive though, got no need for it. Still got 50,000+ blocks of memory and there's loads of junk on there!
Mon 08/03/04 at 10:08
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
I think it's the 14th that the Crystal Box comes out ? that's to celebrate it's birthday, Live update is not ready yet from what I've read.
Mon 08/03/04 at 09:53
Regular
Valentino Rossi wrote:
> where did you hear the 14th ?, didn't think a date had been confirmed

Just a guess, since the Xbox was launched on March 14th.
Mon 08/03/04 at 09:48
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
originally posted on xbox-scene.com

"Xbox Live is now checking each Xbox to see if the hard drive has been replaced. If your hard drive is any different than the one it came with, you will be banned, even if your new hard drive is locked.

This file is a disassembly of Xbox Live's security code as of today (March 6, 2004), and it shows that Microsoft is directing Xboxes to send their hard drives' identification back to Microsoft."
Mon 08/03/04 at 09:46
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
where did you hear the 14th ?, didn't think a date had been confirmed
Mon 08/03/04 at 09:38
Regular
Yes, when does Live 3.0 come out? Will it be the 14th?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.