GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"2K1 - worst year for gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 05/08/01 at 01:29
Regular
"Contrary to popular belief..."

"The industry has never been so fantastic..."

"The PlayStation 2 is finally showing us what it can really do"

"There's a familiar buzz of excitement, we're all getting ready for some top games this summer"

The above is clearly a load of rubbish, all made up to try and uplift the situation that gaming is now in, to try and trick us into believing that playing games has never been more fun - that the titles released today are of such a high standard that we really should be enjoying the supposed 'atmosphere' surroundung us.

Right now I cannot see anything arriving within the next few months of any real significance other than Virtua Tennis 2 on the Dreamcast, but it'll no doubt be much the same as Crazy Taxi 2 - i.e. selling 10% the amount the original did, and being touted by the few that own it as an add on, with women.

GT3 was recently released, I've played it, so what? Hardly mind blowing, hardly the epitome of sensational gaming, it's not THAT great is it! In my opinion, and that's what counts when I'm writing, not yours, not theirs, just mine - I feel the best time for gaming was when the Saturn and PlayStation were both selling well, although the PlayStation decided to attach rocket boosters while the Sega console slept in a lay-by, and why are my thoughts this? Who knows, something must have happened. This year has been so boring, my GBA is hidden in sea of socks, I have no idea where my Dreamcast has gotten too, and the only reason for getting a PlayStation 2 at the moment is because I have nothing else to spend money on.

When the Saturn and PlayStation were in their youth, the PlayStation had really amazing, original titles, games that like Resident Evil - what a revelation, games like Destruction Derby - you know they HAVE to make a new 4 player Destruction Derby game, and games on the Saturn - Virtua Fighter 2, NIGHTS blew me away, and Panzer Dragoon? Such quality, such bravery, and what have we now?

Ok, so I'm being unfair to today's gaming, but I remember playing Street Racer - that was a fun game, that had so much life - today, gaming life is being taken away but why?

Are games so real now, that we're becoming the emotionless ones? Has the emotion engine stolen our fun, and put it into silicon? Why am I writing all this? I'm looking into the future - I see an X Box, with people running from it as the black DVD sized chunk of plastic morphs into a bionic creature, but where are the games? I don't really want to be playing 'Nascar 2002', in fact the thought sends my fingers to sleep, I'd rather be racing streamlined sports cars, with seductive women in the passenger seats - I want to be racing Ferrari F60's, McLaren F1s and Maserati's in the streets of Milan, not round and round a badly formed oval circuit - where has the fun gone!!?

This year has been sparce - name one other superb racing game to GT3 that's been released since January 1st! Well? Name an original racing game that's been released this year!!!!

Have there been any decent fighting games? Any really like 'wow I must own that' RPGs? What about Sports titles? WHAT'S GOING ON!! It's AUGUST!?

Where have Eidos drifted off to? Still milking out the WWTBAM? game? What's next after Junior edition in Mcdonald's - Senior Citizen version from local coffee shops?

Argh!!!

It's not just the gaming 'industry' that's lost a few cogs, have you seen the prices of widescreen televisions? Have you seen what they look like? Ugly, ugly and ugly. Doesn't anyone care about aesthetics anymore? Will GameCube games come in polythene sandwich bags? Where's all the glamour, surely Japan can't be the only place on earth for decent gaming!? Why does the X Box look so ugly? Couldn't they have made it visually reasonable?

--------

Rant Over.

Dan2K1: Shut down.

Never mind...
Sun 05/08/01 at 01:29
"Contrary to popular belief..."

"The industry has never been so fantastic..."

"The PlayStation 2 is finally showing us what it can really do"

"There's a familiar buzz of excitement, we're all getting ready for some top games this summer"

The above is clearly a load of rubbish, all made up to try and uplift the situation that gaming is now in, to try and trick us into believing that playing games has never been more fun - that the titles released today are of such a high standard that we really should be enjoying the supposed 'atmosphere' surroundung us.

Right now I cannot see anything arriving within the next few months of any real significance other than Virtua Tennis 2 on the Dreamcast, but it'll no doubt be much the same as Crazy Taxi 2 - i.e. selling 10% the amount the original did, and being touted by the few that own it as an add on, with women.

GT3 was recently released, I've played it, so what? Hardly mind blowing, hardly the epitome of sensational gaming, it's not THAT great is it! In my opinion, and that's what counts when I'm writing, not yours, not theirs, just mine - I feel the best time for gaming was when the Saturn and PlayStation were both selling well, although the PlayStation decided to attach rocket boosters while the Sega console slept in a lay-by, and why are my thoughts this? Who knows, something must have happened. This year has been so boring, my GBA is hidden in sea of socks, I have no idea where my Dreamcast has gotten too, and the only reason for getting a PlayStation 2 at the moment is because I have nothing else to spend money on.

When the Saturn and PlayStation were in their youth, the PlayStation had really amazing, original titles, games that like Resident Evil - what a revelation, games like Destruction Derby - you know they HAVE to make a new 4 player Destruction Derby game, and games on the Saturn - Virtua Fighter 2, NIGHTS blew me away, and Panzer Dragoon? Such quality, such bravery, and what have we now?

Ok, so I'm being unfair to today's gaming, but I remember playing Street Racer - that was a fun game, that had so much life - today, gaming life is being taken away but why?

Are games so real now, that we're becoming the emotionless ones? Has the emotion engine stolen our fun, and put it into silicon? Why am I writing all this? I'm looking into the future - I see an X Box, with people running from it as the black DVD sized chunk of plastic morphs into a bionic creature, but where are the games? I don't really want to be playing 'Nascar 2002', in fact the thought sends my fingers to sleep, I'd rather be racing streamlined sports cars, with seductive women in the passenger seats - I want to be racing Ferrari F60's, McLaren F1s and Maserati's in the streets of Milan, not round and round a badly formed oval circuit - where has the fun gone!!?

This year has been sparce - name one other superb racing game to GT3 that's been released since January 1st! Well? Name an original racing game that's been released this year!!!!

Have there been any decent fighting games? Any really like 'wow I must own that' RPGs? What about Sports titles? WHAT'S GOING ON!! It's AUGUST!?

Where have Eidos drifted off to? Still milking out the WWTBAM? game? What's next after Junior edition in Mcdonald's - Senior Citizen version from local coffee shops?

Argh!!!

It's not just the gaming 'industry' that's lost a few cogs, have you seen the prices of widescreen televisions? Have you seen what they look like? Ugly, ugly and ugly. Doesn't anyone care about aesthetics anymore? Will GameCube games come in polythene sandwich bags? Where's all the glamour, surely Japan can't be the only place on earth for decent gaming!? Why does the X Box look so ugly? Couldn't they have made it visually reasonable?

--------

Rant Over.

Dan2K1: Shut down.

Never mind...
Sun 05/08/01 at 01:32
Regular
actually GT3 is great, and it is that damn good. how long did you play it for? GT mode is where the real deal is at. best game i have played in a long time. i'm addicted to it. this is the first game that has stopped me from playing Championship manager.
Sun 05/08/01 at 01:38
12minutes.

"Nothing compares to GT3!!!"

That's because there's nothing else out.

Pah at this year.
Sun 05/08/01 at 01:44
Regular
"nothing compares to GT3" who wrote that? it certainly wasnt me. yes the PS2 doesnt really have mainy competitors, but things should improve next year with the release of the other two next gens.
Sun 05/08/01 at 01:51
Which is why this year is so boring.

Well done for not turning this into a GT3 arguement post. I'd have hated that.
Sun 05/08/01 at 01:53
Regular
dont worry i'd never do that, i'm a nintendo fan anyway. just using the PS2 till Gamecube comes along.
Sun 05/08/01 at 02:02
Fair enough, don't you agree though, where are the destruction derby's? Where's the new Tomb Raider beating adventure game? Has Crash Bandicoot had enough?

Maybe everyone has gone bust, or waiting for the Cube.
Sun 05/08/01 at 02:07
Regular
this preety much dead for new releases that are really must buy games, i cant think of one game this year that i would say a really really good game, its probably because Ps2 has preety much had an open market what with the n64 slowly and painfully dieing out and the demise of the Dreamcast.
Sun 05/08/01 at 02:08
Regular
sorry that was ment to say this year
Sun 05/08/01 at 02:12
Regular
i think we are just expecting too much. lay back and enjoy whatever you got, nothing lasts forever.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.