GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Quality or quantity?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/08/01 at 20:00
Regular
What do you prefer - Quality or quantity? More to the point, which attitude really matters?

We all know that one of the main differences between Sony and Nintendo are their attitudes to releasing games. Sony lets all and sundry make games for their black beast and although it leads to a landslide of less than impressive titles, the good one still come out as well. Nintendo hold back in this respect and take a more quality over quantity approach. But does this make a difference?

Well, in front of me is the list of 26 launch games for the PS2 in the UK and their review scores. Out of this, I count 6 games that are worth buying. That’s quite a good choice considering this is the first-gen batch. There’s also another 20 games to choose from (Including Ridge V) that might appeal to fans of the genres but let’s not get into that.

Now, I’ll dig out my trusty GC launch line up and out of the 18 games I count 3, possibly 4 games that are worth buying. It’s early days yet and no one really knows what these will be like but I’m just going on reports from mags, not my opinion.

So, the PS2 had more games and still had more quality. Anyway, this isn’t supposed to me a dig at the GameCube, just a comparison.

So do you prefer quality or quantity? I myself prefer quantity. Every month the PS2 gets loads of games and a fair section of my regular magazine is devoted to reviews and previews. Admittedly, only about one or two of these games is worth looking at twice, but it’s still a fair amount. Because loads of people develop for it, the class games don’t just come from Sony’s studios and trusted 3rd parties, there are sometimes a few gems that roll out of passing developer’s sacks. Even EA, scourge of consoles everywhere, with the unique ability to churn out sequels like a production line and turn even the most brilliant concept into the Worst Game Ever™, have produced the fantastic SSX and Quake 3. The amount of choice is amazing. Take my last win, I had a choice of 5 games that I wanted and could have got (although I only told you 3), and I already owned 8.

I know one of the main faults of the N64 was that there weren’t enough games. For months after the launch there was a choice of 3 titles, although all 3 of them were good. How many people thought there could have been more? I know most of you will raise your hand.

Now, I don’t actually want the GameCube to fail, as I’ve got nothing against Nintendo and it would be a shame to see such a great company, and console, go under. I hope they sort out their act when it comes to choice, and slacken off or even dump their quality over quantity policy. Maybe I’m just rambling here and you probably all disagree (you often do).

So, what’s it for you? Quality, or quantity?

-Turbonutter
Sat 04/08/01 at 20:00
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
What do you prefer - Quality or quantity? More to the point, which attitude really matters?

We all know that one of the main differences between Sony and Nintendo are their attitudes to releasing games. Sony lets all and sundry make games for their black beast and although it leads to a landslide of less than impressive titles, the good one still come out as well. Nintendo hold back in this respect and take a more quality over quantity approach. But does this make a difference?

Well, in front of me is the list of 26 launch games for the PS2 in the UK and their review scores. Out of this, I count 6 games that are worth buying. That’s quite a good choice considering this is the first-gen batch. There’s also another 20 games to choose from (Including Ridge V) that might appeal to fans of the genres but let’s not get into that.

Now, I’ll dig out my trusty GC launch line up and out of the 18 games I count 3, possibly 4 games that are worth buying. It’s early days yet and no one really knows what these will be like but I’m just going on reports from mags, not my opinion.

So, the PS2 had more games and still had more quality. Anyway, this isn’t supposed to me a dig at the GameCube, just a comparison.

So do you prefer quality or quantity? I myself prefer quantity. Every month the PS2 gets loads of games and a fair section of my regular magazine is devoted to reviews and previews. Admittedly, only about one or two of these games is worth looking at twice, but it’s still a fair amount. Because loads of people develop for it, the class games don’t just come from Sony’s studios and trusted 3rd parties, there are sometimes a few gems that roll out of passing developer’s sacks. Even EA, scourge of consoles everywhere, with the unique ability to churn out sequels like a production line and turn even the most brilliant concept into the Worst Game Ever™, have produced the fantastic SSX and Quake 3. The amount of choice is amazing. Take my last win, I had a choice of 5 games that I wanted and could have got (although I only told you 3), and I already owned 8.

I know one of the main faults of the N64 was that there weren’t enough games. For months after the launch there was a choice of 3 titles, although all 3 of them were good. How many people thought there could have been more? I know most of you will raise your hand.

Now, I don’t actually want the GameCube to fail, as I’ve got nothing against Nintendo and it would be a shame to see such a great company, and console, go under. I hope they sort out their act when it comes to choice, and slacken off or even dump their quality over quantity policy. Maybe I’m just rambling here and you probably all disagree (you often do).

So, what’s it for you? Quality, or quantity?

-Turbonutter
Sat 04/08/01 at 20:34
Regular
I agree with some of what your sayin maybe Nintendo need to let a few bad games through. But what you say about the launch lineup i dont agree with. The fact is that in the first few months of the gamecube being released in England there are gonna be at least 25 games some of these titles I have listed below and im sorry but all of those titles are worth buying.

Luigis Mansion,
Wave Race Blue storm
Super Monkey Ball,
Resident Evil Zero,
Super Smash Bros,
Extreme G3,
Star WArs rogue Leader,
SSx Tricky,
Dave MIrra Freestyle BMx 2,
Animal Forest,
Starfox Adventures,
Tony HAwks Pro SKater 3
Phantasy Star Online V2,

Now you can always say that no ones played them yet but the fact is you read an of the press that Ninty got at E3 and you will reaslise that these games are not gonna be mediocre crap. You only have to look at the awards from E3 that Ninty got:
BEst console
Best of show,
Best Action game (rogue leader)
Best fighting game (super smash bros melee)

Anyway i would prefer that Nintendo did stop some of the crap coming through i mean look at some of the embarassing games that came out for the PS1 Spice Girls anyone.I dont think that Nintendo are that strict about the standard of games anyway u only have to look at carmageddon and army men games to realise that they do let some pap through.
Sat 04/08/01 at 20:39
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Sony don't stop any game coming out on the PS2, so they hardly "let" the pap through.

Anyway, you're talking about the next few months. I was talking about the launch. There's a difference. The difference being, launch games you can buy at launch, but games coming out in the next few months can only be bought in the next few months. Got it?
Sat 04/08/01 at 20:42
Both would be nice, to be honest.
Sat 04/08/01 at 20:42
Regular
Yes and the majority of those games will be in the launch lineup in the uk GOT IT!!
Sat 04/08/01 at 20:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
TILTAWHIRL wrote:
> Yes and the majority of those games will be in the launch lineup in
> the uk GOT IT!!

6/13. That's a minority.
Sat 04/08/01 at 20:46
Regular
Well judging by the fact that there is no actual confirmed launch lineup for the Uk i cant see were your gettin your facts from, there isnt even a confirmed launch lineup for Japan yet.
Sat 04/08/01 at 20:47
Gearing towards a console war...
Sat 04/08/01 at 20:48
Regular
not a console war im just tryin to put Mr Nutter straight.
Sat 04/08/01 at 20:49
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
TILTAWHIRL wrote:
> Well judging by the fact that there is no actual confirmed launch
> lineup for the Uk i cant see were your gettin your facts from, there
> isnt even a confirmed launch lineup for Japan yet.

I'm just going on what I know. I got my list from Reaper[oV], so ask him.

Anyway, this isn't a console wars post, it's a debate. Stop tainting it. The GC won't be everything you hoped it would be, get over it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.