GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The end is near."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/08/01 at 12:09
Regular
How many times have you came to the end of a game and been sadly disapointed about the lack of a reward or a proper well done.

Most games these days give you a nice FMV sequence to watch just before the credits appear. But very little games actualy reward you in a decent way.
The resident evil games have been ok as they reward you with different areas (ok only a few), unlimited ammo for some guns and costume changes and extra info on the original story.
Not only does the ending reward you more than most games it also encourages you to continue playing the game over and over again.

I would like to see more games that make the endings more rewarding. Im not saying that games without good endings aren't good just that it would be nice to see more decent ends in games. I would like to see something like a whole new senario is playable, extra levels/cars/characters to use. Something that makes you play the game again and again to try and do well and get the good endings.

So many games have come and gone that just give you the congratulations or well done screen and thats it. Wouldn't you rather have something more rewarding? I think that endings can make games much better, the replay value of games that require you to play again after the ending is good the only problem is that most of it is repetative. Why not make the extra bit on unseen parts of the game. With todays standards of making games and storing games surely they could fit this extra part to be used as a reward for finishing the game.

There are alot of games that give you no reward at all. This dosn't make them bad games its just sometimes you feel there should be something to reward you. You have just spent ages playing and finishing it and at the end you are given nothing. Its a bit like having a job you like, doing it and not getting paid.

So do you agree, would better endings improve a game or are you happy with the way things are with most games? Please write your views.
Sat 04/08/01 at 01:13
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Dr Gonzo wrote:
> Giving a reward at the end of the game implies that it was an
> unenjoyable struggle to get there. If you need rewarding to
> complete a game why bother playing it at all?

I don't mean a reward that makes you play it. You would still play great games without them, im just saying for replay values of games that could be improved if a little extra that you had to be good at the game to get. Something that makes you try hard to achieve.
Fri 03/08/01 at 19:38
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Giving a reward at the end of the game implies that it was an unenjoyable struggle to get there. If you need rewarding to complete a game why bother playing it at all?
Fri 03/08/01 at 15:31
Regular
Fri 03/08/01 at 14:59
Regular
Thing is, if when you got to the end of game you got given a couple more levels, you haven't actually reached the end of the game, as there's more still to do, if you see what I mean.

So when you finished these extra levels, would you then want more to play as a reward for that?

Also, with games like RPG's and FPS's (like Deus Ex, Theif etc) there's a story line, so when you finish the game, you finish the story, so they can't really give you extra levels, as there would be no story line to continue.

I think the best way for games to have longevitiy is to have an excellent multiplayer (MarioKart, Goldebeye etc) or to have extras to download from the 'net (UT, Half-life and the like).

Maybe what you could do, is have extras on the 'net, levels, cars, charachers whatever, but you can only donwload them when you've finished the game.

That would give the developers more time to put thought into into the extras. I imagine they don't have time to do them now because the publisehers say "Is the main game finished?", "Yes", "Ok, we'll release it then."

If the developers then spent the next month making extra levels/cars etc, which would be about all it would take, as the engine is all in place, then there could be quality rewards for people finishing the game.
Fri 03/08/01 at 14:52
Regular
pb wrote:
> Oh I wish I had time to get to the end of a game!

Nice post. I
> agree that there should be a decent ending to a game, but perhaps it
> could be one that you could control, an interactive ending.

on some games like res evil what u do in the game controls the ending(i think)
Fri 03/08/01 at 14:12
"possibly impossible"
Oh I wish I had time to get to the end of a game!

Nice post. I agree that there should be a decent ending to a game, but perhaps it could be one that you could control, an interactive ending.
Fri 03/08/01 at 13:24
Regular
<< << Yoshi on the roof giving you some lifes on Super Mario 64 but whats the point in that youve just finished the game, why do you want to go around all the old level which youve been playing on for the past ages >> >>
Fri 03/08/01 at 13:24
Regular
"You've upset me"
Nice post Alan.
Fri 03/08/01 at 12:38
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Yeah its little extras like this that can make games that little bit better.
Fri 03/08/01 at 12:35
Regular
"Back For Good"
tekken tag's like that everytime you finish the arcade mode you get a short fmv to watch.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.