GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I've done it!!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/08/01 at 03:19
Regular
Here’s a review, a review by myself that will be purposely written to fit inside the 4000 character limit, astonishing isn’t it! Ok, here you go! Get the cool…right, for the better part of this early morning, and for quite a long time this week I have been trying to complete one of the most fantastic games of all time, but it’s also one of the most infuriating, hang on, Special Reserve don’t stock Virtua Tennis anymore – where will this review go? No time to think about that, no read on as I continue my never ending journey to get to the point – Sega knows how to make great games, but when Hit Maker made the character King, they obviously had other intentions in mind, other than to create a devilishly tough opponent.

I believe they planned for thousands of gamers to be cursing and blaspheming at their television sets at obscene hours of the day, they’re probably having a good chuckle at my newfound despising of the Shady eyed, shifty looking King who for the life of me I cannot beat in the final match, ‘smash’ level 4 in the world circuit mode. Just a couple of hours ago I was 4 games to nil up, my mind awash with thoughts of how I’d write a post about how I finally beat king – and in style, but no, no, no, King had to get angry, came back to make it 4-4, I won the 9th game, he got the 10th (just), and the 11th fell to my artificial nemesis, but I managed to claim the twelfth and take the game to a tie break. 5-5 again, 5-6…bow lucks. Anyone for strawberries and cream!

It was hard to take heart of the fact that I had improved immensely, but I tried again, but switched the DC off in a hurry as it was getting late (oh look, it’s 3:01), so I still haven’t completed the game, but I shan’t lose any sleep over it, I’ll write a snappy review instead, and I am. Virtua Tennis’s strong point is longevity thanks to its incredible playability, which in turn comes down to three things – great simplistic controls, amazing presentation and finally multiplayer or single player action. I wont argue that Virtua Tennis is the best multiplayer sports game of all time, because I know it for a fact, and so do you! I guess that’s why the country has sold out of Virtua Tennis (seeing as you don’t stock it, will this post still be considered for Game a Day?) (Shut up Dan), and if you haven’t played it before I envy you – a lot of fantastic gaming times ahead!

Over half way, I’ll go over the modes – you can play in the arcade mode, either on your own or with a friend in order to complete the 5 stages of increasing difficulty – if you win them all without using any continues, you’ll be whisked away to face the challenger – single player will meet ‘Master’ – a Morgan Freeman look-alike, if there’re two of you, you’ll face Morgan Freeman and the devil (King), which is a real challenge indeed – don’t put the difficulty on easy though, leave it at default. The arcade is ok for a good ten minutes, but the Exhibition mode is where multiplayer gaming heaven starts – 1-4 players can partake in a nice game of tennis, believe me – it doesn’t usually stay friendly! Lots of competitiveness, some games will last ages, but this is definitely the cream of the multiplayer sports games. Sociable gaming Turbo – pick up a DC and Virtua Tennis, you won’t be disappointed! Of course then, there’s the single player world circuit – the place to unlock all the hidden players, stadiums and partake in an hours shouting at your Hitachi 24W551SN, as you aim to take the world number 1 position. There are many mini tasks to play, lots of trial matches and even shops to buy players in, change your costume and to replace old racquet strings. Excellent stuff! The options mode…

Graphically superb, I can’t wait for the second instalment, and all in all you won’t find many better Dreamcast games. The sound is clear, the music is pathetic, and the crowd a little lame, but then they’re 2D, so what can you expect. I’m running out of space, not that it matters, as this will be in the FOG!
Ta
Dan2K1!
Fri 03/08/01 at 03:19
Here’s a review, a review by myself that will be purposely written to fit inside the 4000 character limit, astonishing isn’t it! Ok, here you go! Get the cool…right, for the better part of this early morning, and for quite a long time this week I have been trying to complete one of the most fantastic games of all time, but it’s also one of the most infuriating, hang on, Special Reserve don’t stock Virtua Tennis anymore – where will this review go? No time to think about that, no read on as I continue my never ending journey to get to the point – Sega knows how to make great games, but when Hit Maker made the character King, they obviously had other intentions in mind, other than to create a devilishly tough opponent.

I believe they planned for thousands of gamers to be cursing and blaspheming at their television sets at obscene hours of the day, they’re probably having a good chuckle at my newfound despising of the Shady eyed, shifty looking King who for the life of me I cannot beat in the final match, ‘smash’ level 4 in the world circuit mode. Just a couple of hours ago I was 4 games to nil up, my mind awash with thoughts of how I’d write a post about how I finally beat king – and in style, but no, no, no, King had to get angry, came back to make it 4-4, I won the 9th game, he got the 10th (just), and the 11th fell to my artificial nemesis, but I managed to claim the twelfth and take the game to a tie break. 5-5 again, 5-6…bow lucks. Anyone for strawberries and cream!

It was hard to take heart of the fact that I had improved immensely, but I tried again, but switched the DC off in a hurry as it was getting late (oh look, it’s 3:01), so I still haven’t completed the game, but I shan’t lose any sleep over it, I’ll write a snappy review instead, and I am. Virtua Tennis’s strong point is longevity thanks to its incredible playability, which in turn comes down to three things – great simplistic controls, amazing presentation and finally multiplayer or single player action. I wont argue that Virtua Tennis is the best multiplayer sports game of all time, because I know it for a fact, and so do you! I guess that’s why the country has sold out of Virtua Tennis (seeing as you don’t stock it, will this post still be considered for Game a Day?) (Shut up Dan), and if you haven’t played it before I envy you – a lot of fantastic gaming times ahead!

Over half way, I’ll go over the modes – you can play in the arcade mode, either on your own or with a friend in order to complete the 5 stages of increasing difficulty – if you win them all without using any continues, you’ll be whisked away to face the challenger – single player will meet ‘Master’ – a Morgan Freeman look-alike, if there’re two of you, you’ll face Morgan Freeman and the devil (King), which is a real challenge indeed – don’t put the difficulty on easy though, leave it at default. The arcade is ok for a good ten minutes, but the Exhibition mode is where multiplayer gaming heaven starts – 1-4 players can partake in a nice game of tennis, believe me – it doesn’t usually stay friendly! Lots of competitiveness, some games will last ages, but this is definitely the cream of the multiplayer sports games. Sociable gaming Turbo – pick up a DC and Virtua Tennis, you won’t be disappointed! Of course then, there’s the single player world circuit – the place to unlock all the hidden players, stadiums and partake in an hours shouting at your Hitachi 24W551SN, as you aim to take the world number 1 position. There are many mini tasks to play, lots of trial matches and even shops to buy players in, change your costume and to replace old racquet strings. Excellent stuff! The options mode…

Graphically superb, I can’t wait for the second instalment, and all in all you won’t find many better Dreamcast games. The sound is clear, the music is pathetic, and the crowd a little lame, but then they’re 2D, so what can you expect. I’m running out of space, not that it matters, as this will be in the FOG!
Ta
Dan2K1!
Fri 03/08/01 at 03:21
Yep, isn't that the way things work - I review a game, within the character count, it's not there to review - so, please forgive me, look at the time I posted this, and write lots and lots of replies.

Thank y'all!
Fri 03/08/01 at 03:27
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Well i wish you luck in completing your game, but perhaps if you do complete it, you will find a hole in your life, no more challenge in the game will lead you on a road of depression.
Fri 03/08/01 at 03:32
How uplifting of you, I must remember to not send you a Christmas card!

Virtua Tennis 2 - pah!
Fri 03/08/01 at 09:53
Regular
i stopped reading halfway through dan2k1 next time try and hold my attention
Fri 03/08/01 at 11:03
I'd rather not thanks, it doesn't seem to exist.
Fri 03/08/01 at 11:20
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Ah, not so many many words with this one.

But still all in the correct place and easy to read.
Have to say though, it's a little less daunting than usual.

However, last night I splurged my brain sack onto the boards and ended up with two massive posts.
It's easy to do and I must fight temptation daily.

Nice review.
Fri 03/08/01 at 11:49
Wow - thanks man!
Fri 03/08/01 at 11:51
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Now throw a wobbly for me, you havent done for almost a week.

Go on, go mental.

You know you want to.
Fri 03/08/01 at 11:56
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
I did that to Dan, just left it on my hard drive, but I may as well post it with yours... well I would if the board would let me add it. No foul or abusive languange, its not mostly in capitals and there are no words over 70 character.

Lets see if it will post the other review. Did a 1080 one too that I was going to stick after the VIrtua Tennis review as I did it but it was out of stock.

-----------

Tommy Hilfiger and Nintendo were never an obvious match, but then I guess neither was person, sliver of fibreglass and big, snowy hill. The game's title refers to an aerial spinning trick (imagine Jane Torvil on a roundabout) favoured by "gnarly" snow dudes and now nimbly fingered games players. However, few basics to get under your belt first, got to walk before you can run young lad.

The game's basic mode of play is the Match Race, a one-on-one contest to cross the finishing line first. There are five different racers for you to choose from - the traditional rules apply, an average all-rounder, fast one who is harder to control, one who is good at tricks, and so on. Your chosen snow jockey will then be placed atop the snowboard that takes your fancy, and there are more of these than you will ever know what to do with! There are six different courses (all with exceptional medical facilities...I hope) unlocked slowly as you progress. Two initial difficulty levels give birth to a third when you are good enough to compete as an Expert. Successfully completing the varying difficulty levels will unlock two further characters, with a secret third buried deep in the games dark recesses. There is also a bonus penguin shaped board...indeed.

Where the game really comes into its own though is the four other options available to you. First, the Time Attack and Trick Attack are standard "get the highest score" affairs. In the Trick Attack you race on either one of the standard courses, a half pipe or a huge ski-jump style ramp. You perform tricks to rack up the points, with combos gaining extra merit. Chances are you don't know your Indy Nosebone from your elbow, so there is a handy training mode to guide you through the ever increasing button pushes and stick swivels that lead to maximum respect from fellow dudes and dudets on the piest. The Grand Daddy of all these play modes is Contest. You get points for speed, tricks and navigating flags on the correct side and this is the form of the game I've played most. This option could have been a game by itself and Nintendo's team have balanced the three constituent elements perfectly. You have to decide whether pulling of that four trick combo warrants the risk of you missing the next flag and adding a few seconds to your overall journey time. The just-one-more-go factor is working in full effect here and only the most skilled competitors will fare well. Get those thumbs twirling and rack up as many combos as you can for the best results.

The controlling of your little boarder is actually one of the games strong points. After an initial struggle to get comfortable with the handling, it soon becomes second nature. Anyone you has played Wave Race will have a big head start here as the two are pretty similar in this respect. 1080 is to snow what Wave Race was to water. Remember that oh so convincing bobbing over water feeling? Well 1080 beautifully realizes the sensation of moving over snow. Well actually I couldn't tell you what gliding over snow on a snowboard feels like, but if my imagination serves me correct then this is pretty damn close.

Graphically, the game was very good for its time. Lens flare is added in every conceivable place and the luscious mountain regions look...well...luscious. However, with the benefit of hindsight, they don't compare well with a top end PC or Dreamcast. The snowboarders suffer from angular builds though I'm really nit picking as for an N64 game there are few that feature more beautiful visuals without the addition of an expansion pak. Similarly, there are minor niggles with the collision detection, expect exaggerated rebounds from rocks and other players. Again though, this isn't anything that will really take away from the game.

A two person multiplayer option is thrown in for good effect with split screen racing. Unless you are playing against someone who is familiar with the game though you will walk it (probably better to use the board though). The experienced player will always well and truly trounce the beginner, expect a few big air combos thrown in for extra humiliating effect as Mr. Newbie stumbles down the mountain. The plus points far outweigh the minor niggles though so this game is a definite must buy. An added bonus comes with the news that 1080 is slumming it with the budget titles at the moment so you won't have to sell your soul to a large fashion label to afford it.

-----------

Now that is a long post...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.