GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"WARNING WARNING PS2 REVIEW"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/08/01 at 00:56
Regular
After Saving up for what seemed to be a lifetime, I finally gave in (I was saving up all my sanity - but then I lost...) and put my name down for a Playstation 2! I handed over my £20 to the nice woman in Currys (Sorry Special Reserve, if I had bought from you, and posted here, you might not have been as happy) and was told that I'd definitely get the console on the launch day, which, unbeknown to them (and me) changed about 5 times! However, I did get it on the 26 November and was in a delirious state of panic for some reason!

I guess I thought that my wife would find out and have a heated debate (savage argument!) about how I keep on buying games consoles and that PS2 at £300 was far too expensive, but suffice to say she hasn't found out yet! I managed to keep it concealed in my converted attic where it had to be taken down from and returned to the store. Sigh.

I was looking forward to playing Gran Turismo 3, Metal Gear Solid 2 and Tekken Tag Tournament, but only TTT has been released so far with the other two titles subject to delay. I got TTT on launch day and played it for all of ten minutes! The game packed up on me! What on earth was going on? Was it my console? Or had the disc been scratched or something? Well, I tried to open my vertical disc drive and found that the CD had jammed inside the machine! I didn't panic, took the PS2 back to Currys and they managed to remove the CD without damaging the console, but said the game had been damaged - so kindly gave me a replacement - this time though I asked for FIFA 2001 as my confidence had been lost in TTT.

The actual game looked and played well, but was nothing on Soul Calibur for my Dreamcast, but it's Tekken so it was instantly playable! Took FIFA 2001 home, set the PS2 up in my converted attic - (where I have an old Decca TV) and started to play the biggest pile of gunk ever! I couldn't believe how insulting the game was! Terrible graphics, and how slow was the game! I really thought that something was happening in slow motion or something, but hey - I didn't have to endure the game for much longer because the PS2 itself froze the game (well something stopped!) - I was just about to get sent off for a ridiculously late challenge on David Beckham (via Patrick Vieira) and the game stopped!

I was not feeling too happy about this so turned the power off and waited till the following day and turned on the Playstation 2. For a change I thought I'd test out the DVD player with my newly acquired Chicken Run DVD but surprise, surprise. It didn't work. Seeing that the wife was at work, I tested everything again on my Sony Wide screen TV downstairs and still nothing worked - I though perhaps that my old Decca had had enough! That was it. I phoned up Sony Europe, but was forced to wait in a queue (probably full of people like myself with faulty consoles) and hung up after 3 hours waiting. I stormed down to my local currys and asked for an exchange, but was told that I had to wait until after Xmas as no stock was in! No DVD watching this Yule time I thought! (I would have informed my wife eventually).

I grew sick and tired of waiting for that phone call that I was promised to arrange a time for bringing my PS2 back, so brought out my Dreamcast and my wife Jana and I played on it for a few days running during the holidays - all our collective friends came round to see why we hadn't been out recently - and then I found I had a host of people watching intensively at my TV screen, a monkey and a set of maracas! Yes, I had managed to get hold of Samba De Amigo and we all had a great time. But that didn't solve the problem of the PS2.

Early January. I phoned up Currys everyday for 6 days and finally they told me that they could exchange my console - apparently my case was not unique and around 1000 people across Britain had found similar faults with their new 128bit piece of…!

Thankfully they exchanged it. NOT AGAIN!!!! Same problem, only this time nothing worked - the console didn't even switch on! I had had enough and took my PS2 back and got a full refund after discussing why I needed a refund and not a replacement (seeing that they didn't have any replacements, they saw that I had a pretty strong case!).

So, my PS2 experience? Not a good one I'm sorry to tell because I was really looking forward to it after many years of gaming satisfaction with my Playstation. I am disappointed at you Sony - you've let me down, and I'm now getting ready for the X Box and Game Cube, although the latter doesn't excite me quite so much!

I know a lot of people are pleased with theirs, but I also know that (from reading many reports, my own experience and looking in the Sun Newspaper) a lot of people were displeased.

I can only hope that my PS2 was a rare occurrence and that everybody else's stay 'good' and fault free!

Well, if you have had a better PS2 experience than myself then may I wish you all the luck in the world that PS2 is a success. It should be, but going by what has happened it wouldn't surprise me...

Just take a look at the specs and stats, although these don't really mean a lot - but it's interesting information!

This is what Sony Europe ‘want’ you to know:

Imagine walking into a movie and taking part in real-time...this is the world you are about to enter.
PlayStation®2 is a revolutionary computer entertainment system set to reinvent the nature of video games. Incorporation both CD and DVD formats, PlayStation®2 has been designed to offer you a range of computer entertainment options combining games, video and music.
Not only is it be supported by numerous high quality software titles with hundreds more in development, it is the first machine of it's kind to offer backwards compatibility.
So, you can use your existing PlayStation® software on the new system.

It is the "Emotion Engine" at the heart of PlayStation®2 that enables you to cross the line into a new universe of digital interactivity. The "Emotion Engine" is a 128 Bit CPU that takes 3D graphics into another sphere - gravity, friction and emotive materials from fire to snow are stunningly and realistically recreated on-screen. This "Emotion Synthesis" produces completely accurate physical simulations, elevating gameplay to a higher level. The "Emotion Engine" simultaneously processes high-resolution 3D graphics at the same time as high quality DVD images, resulting in superior real-time graphics and sound quality.

For a full list of PlayStation®2 games that will be available on launch, go to the site!!!
www.Playstation2.com

Check out Nintendo, Microsoft and Sega sites too - you may decide that PS2 isn't for you.

PlayStation®2 includes:
Playstation®2 computer entertainment system
Analog Controller (DUALSHOCK®2)
AC Power Cord
Euro-AV Connector Plug
AV Cable (integrated audio/video)
Instruction Manual
Demo Disc
User Registration Card

(Emotion Engine? Maybe they should have thought that maybe it would be so advanced - so emotional so as not to work!!!)

Hope my review was interesting!

Jest

Just been playing on my Playstation and I have too say that it's a better console by far!
Fri 03/08/01 at 11:15
I disagree - I think we should all find flaws in the writing.

Also, it does show that Sony messed up their launch.

I need cookies.
Fri 03/08/01 at 11:04
Regular
MJ§wE®vE wrote:
> You know I can't believe I just read that. I mean, there is no point
> to it. No questions to answer or anything. Just a peice of writing
> that you want us to say if it is good or not....FUN! :P

(;o|

i agree
Fri 03/08/01 at 11:03
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
You know I can't believe I just read that. I mean, there is no point to it. No questions to answer or anything. Just a peice of writing that you want us to say if it is good or not....FUN! :P

(;o|
Fri 03/08/01 at 09:40
Regular
"Back For Good"
well it doesn't completly fix it but it helps it.

press triangle at the menu (brower,system config) then highlight diagnosis and press triangle again then select diagnosis to on.

BUT some dvd's jump when this is enabled!!
Fri 03/08/01 at 09:31
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
How did you fix the lipsync?
Fri 03/08/01 at 08:57
Regular
"Back For Good"
I've had no problems with my PS2. i have however had some other problems like

> unoffcial ps1 card didn't show up in browser had to exchange it.

>PS2 card packed up, ended up sending it off to Sony but they sent me TWO back haha.

>MGS special missions does not boot up on a ps2 but go a full refund and got given the game :)

>took me a while to get dvd's out of widescreen due to unclear instructions

other than that my ps2 has been absolutly fine no scratching,no other problems and only one DVD slightly affected by the lip sync which is fixed with the diagnosis.
Fri 03/08/01 at 03:36
That's misfortunate for you.
Fri 03/08/01 at 00:56
After Saving up for what seemed to be a lifetime, I finally gave in (I was saving up all my sanity - but then I lost...) and put my name down for a Playstation 2! I handed over my £20 to the nice woman in Currys (Sorry Special Reserve, if I had bought from you, and posted here, you might not have been as happy) and was told that I'd definitely get the console on the launch day, which, unbeknown to them (and me) changed about 5 times! However, I did get it on the 26 November and was in a delirious state of panic for some reason!

I guess I thought that my wife would find out and have a heated debate (savage argument!) about how I keep on buying games consoles and that PS2 at £300 was far too expensive, but suffice to say she hasn't found out yet! I managed to keep it concealed in my converted attic where it had to be taken down from and returned to the store. Sigh.

I was looking forward to playing Gran Turismo 3, Metal Gear Solid 2 and Tekken Tag Tournament, but only TTT has been released so far with the other two titles subject to delay. I got TTT on launch day and played it for all of ten minutes! The game packed up on me! What on earth was going on? Was it my console? Or had the disc been scratched or something? Well, I tried to open my vertical disc drive and found that the CD had jammed inside the machine! I didn't panic, took the PS2 back to Currys and they managed to remove the CD without damaging the console, but said the game had been damaged - so kindly gave me a replacement - this time though I asked for FIFA 2001 as my confidence had been lost in TTT.

The actual game looked and played well, but was nothing on Soul Calibur for my Dreamcast, but it's Tekken so it was instantly playable! Took FIFA 2001 home, set the PS2 up in my converted attic - (where I have an old Decca TV) and started to play the biggest pile of gunk ever! I couldn't believe how insulting the game was! Terrible graphics, and how slow was the game! I really thought that something was happening in slow motion or something, but hey - I didn't have to endure the game for much longer because the PS2 itself froze the game (well something stopped!) - I was just about to get sent off for a ridiculously late challenge on David Beckham (via Patrick Vieira) and the game stopped!

I was not feeling too happy about this so turned the power off and waited till the following day and turned on the Playstation 2. For a change I thought I'd test out the DVD player with my newly acquired Chicken Run DVD but surprise, surprise. It didn't work. Seeing that the wife was at work, I tested everything again on my Sony Wide screen TV downstairs and still nothing worked - I though perhaps that my old Decca had had enough! That was it. I phoned up Sony Europe, but was forced to wait in a queue (probably full of people like myself with faulty consoles) and hung up after 3 hours waiting. I stormed down to my local currys and asked for an exchange, but was told that I had to wait until after Xmas as no stock was in! No DVD watching this Yule time I thought! (I would have informed my wife eventually).

I grew sick and tired of waiting for that phone call that I was promised to arrange a time for bringing my PS2 back, so brought out my Dreamcast and my wife Jana and I played on it for a few days running during the holidays - all our collective friends came round to see why we hadn't been out recently - and then I found I had a host of people watching intensively at my TV screen, a monkey and a set of maracas! Yes, I had managed to get hold of Samba De Amigo and we all had a great time. But that didn't solve the problem of the PS2.

Early January. I phoned up Currys everyday for 6 days and finally they told me that they could exchange my console - apparently my case was not unique and around 1000 people across Britain had found similar faults with their new 128bit piece of…!

Thankfully they exchanged it. NOT AGAIN!!!! Same problem, only this time nothing worked - the console didn't even switch on! I had had enough and took my PS2 back and got a full refund after discussing why I needed a refund and not a replacement (seeing that they didn't have any replacements, they saw that I had a pretty strong case!).

So, my PS2 experience? Not a good one I'm sorry to tell because I was really looking forward to it after many years of gaming satisfaction with my Playstation. I am disappointed at you Sony - you've let me down, and I'm now getting ready for the X Box and Game Cube, although the latter doesn't excite me quite so much!

I know a lot of people are pleased with theirs, but I also know that (from reading many reports, my own experience and looking in the Sun Newspaper) a lot of people were displeased.

I can only hope that my PS2 was a rare occurrence and that everybody else's stay 'good' and fault free!

Well, if you have had a better PS2 experience than myself then may I wish you all the luck in the world that PS2 is a success. It should be, but going by what has happened it wouldn't surprise me...

Just take a look at the specs and stats, although these don't really mean a lot - but it's interesting information!

This is what Sony Europe ‘want’ you to know:

Imagine walking into a movie and taking part in real-time...this is the world you are about to enter.
PlayStation®2 is a revolutionary computer entertainment system set to reinvent the nature of video games. Incorporation both CD and DVD formats, PlayStation®2 has been designed to offer you a range of computer entertainment options combining games, video and music.
Not only is it be supported by numerous high quality software titles with hundreds more in development, it is the first machine of it's kind to offer backwards compatibility.
So, you can use your existing PlayStation® software on the new system.

It is the "Emotion Engine" at the heart of PlayStation®2 that enables you to cross the line into a new universe of digital interactivity. The "Emotion Engine" is a 128 Bit CPU that takes 3D graphics into another sphere - gravity, friction and emotive materials from fire to snow are stunningly and realistically recreated on-screen. This "Emotion Synthesis" produces completely accurate physical simulations, elevating gameplay to a higher level. The "Emotion Engine" simultaneously processes high-resolution 3D graphics at the same time as high quality DVD images, resulting in superior real-time graphics and sound quality.

For a full list of PlayStation®2 games that will be available on launch, go to the site!!!
www.Playstation2.com

Check out Nintendo, Microsoft and Sega sites too - you may decide that PS2 isn't for you.

PlayStation®2 includes:
Playstation®2 computer entertainment system
Analog Controller (DUALSHOCK®2)
AC Power Cord
Euro-AV Connector Plug
AV Cable (integrated audio/video)
Instruction Manual
Demo Disc
User Registration Card

(Emotion Engine? Maybe they should have thought that maybe it would be so advanced - so emotional so as not to work!!!)

Hope my review was interesting!

Jest

Just been playing on my Playstation and I have too say that it's a better console by far!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.