GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why PlayStation is Great"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/08/01 at 00:46
Regular
As one of 2000 broken PS2 owners, I thought I'd rave about the best console of the last millennium, let's not forget about this little beauty - my respects to the PlayStation.

Sony’s first venture into the world of gaming proved to be an incredible hit! The Playstation, although partly developed by Nintendo, is still holding it’s own in the modern day market soaking up an incredible 52% market share! The Playstation has been recently transformed into a small, but ultimately indifferent PSone, which sold very well over the Christmas period. This new device is basically a Playstation – about half the size or less, but is compatible with an LCD screen add-on, which costs £99.99 separately! This allows for portable gaming, so you can play more or less wherever you like as long as there is a plug socket!

I have been a great fan of the Playstation, and have around 100 games in my collection – a lot, I know, but I really do like games! My wife isn’t so impressed when I tell her about my latest addition, but my work chums usually come round to have a play-test on a game! There are around 700 games for the Playstation – maybe even more, and its good to see that developers and publishers are still backing it 100% even though the new PS2 has arrived.

There are around 6million PSX owners in the country, and I’m sure that most of them have been fairly pleased with their machine. It’s inexpensive, has an incredible backlog of superb games including nearly every EA sports title, loads of racing games – Gran Turismo 2 being my absolute favourite, as well as many other games in around 50 different genres!

Graphically the PSX is not the best around, but a few years back it was state of the art stuff. Nowadays, the N64 has better looking games, but it seems as though that is on its last legs, the Dreamcast and Playstation2 both have better looking games than the lot, although my PS2 experience wasn’t so great (see my review on it!!).

You can chip your console easily to play back up or ‘copied’ games, but I haven’t done this as I do not like ripping the publishers off – there is a very, very wide black market in copied Playstation games – this has lead to decreasing profits for many developers and publishers because a lot of people just buy the copy for a fiver instead of paying £30.

If you like adventure games then check out Crash Bandicoot. If you’re into horror games then you’ll find none better than the magnificent Resident Evil series – but I personally recommend Silent Hill above all others. There’s a t least 40 football games on the Playstation, with FIFA 2000 being the best so far, although ISS Pro is superb.

Everyone is catered for with the Playstation! I have seen the price tumble from £300 back in 1995, all the way to just £79.99 as it is today – excellent value, but try the 2nd hand market – you may be able to pick one up for £50 with a couple of games.

The PSX has served its purpose in my view. Great games like Tony Hawk’s have become classics on the console, but it seems as though the console may not be the publisher’s first choice now as they’re selling PS2 games for £44.99 now, and with the new Game Cube arriving soon, not to mention the XBox, we won’t be seeing many top games on the console released soon. The best has been and is still here, but we’ll all be buying the next best thing soon.

Overall, the Playstation offers very good value, and will be your best friend for a few years!

So far I have been more impressed by the Playstation than the PS2 – I give this console 10/10, shame about my personal experience of the PS2.

Jester
Fri 03/08/01 at 20:06
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It's the outsiders that buy the consoles, though.
Fri 03/08/01 at 20:00
But outsiders are stupid, in general.
Fri 03/08/01 at 19:55
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
From an outsider's POV the PSone had more great games than the N64.
Fri 03/08/01 at 19:50
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
I am the owner or an Nintendo64. Playstation has more games at better prices but, Playstation has good games yes? But when Nintendo make a good game they make one hell of a game. Goldeneye, Perfect dark ring a bell?

Playstation has being dominating the console market for a long time and I think its time for a change. Nintendo might just have done it with GameCube. With Nintendo’s quality and them going to disks I think it will be a huge success. Playstation is good and I wouldn’t mind getting one but I I’m saving all my cash for GameCube.
Fri 03/08/01 at 19:41
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Anyone who replied to that first post is an idiot...

NiGHTS!is flawed logic:
DOH!

NiGHTS!
Fri 03/08/01 at 13:11
As a college/Uni student you get used to having a few free hours each week, a time when you feel that you can't really be bothered to do anything at all, other than relax in a comfortable chair, maybe have a bud and watch the game...or play on a games console with a couple of friends for a couple of hours in the afternoon. I'm now on a summer break, which is fantastic and oh so very relaxing, but the PlayStation games console has probably kept me sane for the last couple of years!!

It is a brilliant console that is over 6 years old now, but has had some amazing games on it over the years. It does look dated now compared to the newest machines like the PlayStation 2 and the Dreamcast, but in all fairness the PlayStation has been the console to own in the 32bit years. Made by Sony it has seen well over 800 games being released for it, some of which are just superb. It has 2 controller ports, but if you want to play a four player game then you'll have to buy a multi tap, but most games are 1 or 2 player only on the PS.

The graphics from game to game vary - the early titles don't look that great by today's standards, but you can see how they have progressed and improved as the newest titles on the PlayStation all look good - nowhere near PS2 standard, but still good enough, with the gameplay being the overiding decision making factor - if the game plays well, then irrespective of the visuals, it's a worthy game to buy. I have around 20 games now, I don't play on many - just a couple of football games, but then I have played on my brother's Dreamcast more so in the last week or so, as now I am back at home I can make advantage of free accomodation and food!!! And of course the latest gadgets my siblings have bought...

There are many styles of games on the console, which fall into many different genres - the main being:

Racing - Gran Turismo, Gran Turismo 2, Ridge Racer 1,2,3,4, Colin McRae Rally 1/2, Need for speed - and so on, there are many superb racing games on the PlayStation, my most played is the GT2 game, classic.

Sports - undoubtedly football is the most popular type of sports game on the PlayStation. The best football game is International Superstar Soccer Pro Evolution 2 - what a name, although the Fifa games are pretty good too. There are many NBA games, ice hockey, skateboarding - Tony Hawk's 2 being the best, and of course there is the mighty Track and Field game!!

Fighting games - I am not a huge fan of fighting games, but there are many to choose from on the console - from Tekken 1, 2 and 3, to Soul Blade, Street Fighter and more - the PS has some good fighting games. Ready 2 Rumble, Knockout Kings...

Resident Evil Style - loads of people found the best original PlayStation title was Resident Evil - a stunning game that now has 3 sequels standing by it - Code Veronica is not available for the PS, but you can get RE1, 2, 3 and Survivor... Silent Hill and Alone in the Dark 4 are very similar types of games - very good in my opinion...I love scary games!

RPGs - role playing games, best ones include Grandia, Final Fantasy - 6, 7, 8 and 9. Some have very intense story lines, but this isn't my favourite genre of game.

Some other top titles include Driver 2, WWF Smackdown 2, Tim Crisis, Brian Lara Cricket and more!

The PlayStation is a top games machine, is around £80 new, but can be bought for £40 second hand, and I would recommend to all.

Thanks for reading.
Fri 03/08/01 at 12:48
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
For a little bit, but then I start to get rolling like a truck downhill and rant and rant for days and days (see Brasseye threads).

I'm either Mr Bog Jokes or Mr Socio-Political and that phase lasts for hours.

*pant pant pant*

My head hurts now.
Fri 03/08/01 at 12:46
"High polygon count"
No probs. We can't have the Goatboy serious for too long - we know you just can't handle it.
Fri 03/08/01 at 12:40
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
You funning, net surfing, Trek watching muddyfunster, what kind of funning assclown must you be to have one of those?

Cheers Wookie, I was on the edge of pretentious seriousness for a moment.

Love ya!
Fri 03/08/01 at 12:38
"High polygon count"
Goatboy wrote:
> I agree.

My Wookiee Interstellar Passport is the best thing I ever bought.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.