GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Multiplayer"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 02/08/01 at 23:24
Regular
So you bothered to click here! What is this about then? Another dull Internet gaming post?

Well no in fact I don’t like Internet gaming, sure you can battle against 60,000 people but when you lose what do you take your frustration out on? Your PC? You see when it comes to 4 player you can always give the person who beat you a dead arm or a broken nose but on the Internet you can only ram your fist through the screen.

Anyway as this isn’t an Internet multiplayer post then it must be 2-4 players and it is. One of Nintendo’s main attractions is multiplayer; you would be surprised how popular a Nintendo owner is when many a friend comes round to battle it out on Mario Kart or Goldeneye. But multiplayer modes evolve very quickly and compare Goldeneye’s and Perfect Dark’s death matches and you’ll see my point. Timesplitters had an ace multiplayer and the death match map editor is a stroke of genius!

But we all know death matches be it capture the flag, simple combat or one shot kills etc… isn’t the only style of multiplayer gaming.

Cooperative! It has been around for an age and is the mode people who lack experience in a game prefers as you are on your friends side instead of against him. How would this work on the Internet? It is about teamwork and interacting with your friend is difficult to do on the net unless you pause the game every 5 minutes to brief them (I am aware many games does use cooperative!).

Cooperative can be difficult to pull off, especially as it can make the game much easier! Switching between characters ala Super Mario World is on way but again it is Perfect Dark that very successfully uses it as the Cooperative mode includes more guards and if you don’t work together which your supposed to do then you will die in seconds!

But Combat simulator and Cooperative isn’t the only modes, Counter operative! Again Perfect Dark uses this and what an excellent idea, you play as a bad guy instead whilst your friend tries to complete the level, what a great idea and is something, which I would like to see more of in the future.

And this is where I come to the future, what is this style of multiplayer’s future? Will Internet gaming kill it off? Will we no longer need those extra controllers and in Playstation owner’s cases multi taps? I doubt it Nintendo love the invite a gang of friends round and beat each other up on smash brothers approach and so do I.

Cooperative, Counter operative and vs. modes will always be rife in games and as a N64 game without a death match is heavily criticized I would say developers would implement them more. So we will continue to play competitive games against each other and continue to beat each other up afterwards and we will continue to enjoy the future of gaming.

Dringo
Thu 02/08/01 at 23:24
Regular
So you bothered to click here! What is this about then? Another dull Internet gaming post?

Well no in fact I don’t like Internet gaming, sure you can battle against 60,000 people but when you lose what do you take your frustration out on? Your PC? You see when it comes to 4 player you can always give the person who beat you a dead arm or a broken nose but on the Internet you can only ram your fist through the screen.

Anyway as this isn’t an Internet multiplayer post then it must be 2-4 players and it is. One of Nintendo’s main attractions is multiplayer; you would be surprised how popular a Nintendo owner is when many a friend comes round to battle it out on Mario Kart or Goldeneye. But multiplayer modes evolve very quickly and compare Goldeneye’s and Perfect Dark’s death matches and you’ll see my point. Timesplitters had an ace multiplayer and the death match map editor is a stroke of genius!

But we all know death matches be it capture the flag, simple combat or one shot kills etc… isn’t the only style of multiplayer gaming.

Cooperative! It has been around for an age and is the mode people who lack experience in a game prefers as you are on your friends side instead of against him. How would this work on the Internet? It is about teamwork and interacting with your friend is difficult to do on the net unless you pause the game every 5 minutes to brief them (I am aware many games does use cooperative!).

Cooperative can be difficult to pull off, especially as it can make the game much easier! Switching between characters ala Super Mario World is on way but again it is Perfect Dark that very successfully uses it as the Cooperative mode includes more guards and if you don’t work together which your supposed to do then you will die in seconds!

But Combat simulator and Cooperative isn’t the only modes, Counter operative! Again Perfect Dark uses this and what an excellent idea, you play as a bad guy instead whilst your friend tries to complete the level, what a great idea and is something, which I would like to see more of in the future.

And this is where I come to the future, what is this style of multiplayer’s future? Will Internet gaming kill it off? Will we no longer need those extra controllers and in Playstation owner’s cases multi taps? I doubt it Nintendo love the invite a gang of friends round and beat each other up on smash brothers approach and so do I.

Cooperative, Counter operative and vs. modes will always be rife in games and as a N64 game without a death match is heavily criticized I would say developers would implement them more. So we will continue to play competitive games against each other and continue to beat each other up afterwards and we will continue to enjoy the future of gaming.

Dringo
Thu 02/08/01 at 23:48
Regular
I cant see the point in online multiplayer, while it sounds good on paper it just isnt that much fun playing a faceless person u dont know over the other side of the world. I much prefer games like Perfect Dark, Goldeneye etc cause your playing with your mates its a lot more fun.
Fri 03/08/01 at 00:21
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
MMORPGs - the future of gaming is online mulitplayers such as this. Huge communities of people creating a rich and diverse gaming environment. Good at the moment, teh creation of better technologies and more bandwidth will make it into a wondorous experience.
Fri 03/08/01 at 02:11
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
What you said about the dead arms is so true, i also like the quick tug on the controller, pulling it from the control port and giving you the edge.
Fri 03/08/01 at 12:04
Regular
Yeah we can't cheat online.
Fri 03/08/01 at 13:04
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Dringo wrote:
> Yeah we can't cheat online.

Yes you can. Ping the living daylights out of them. That works.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.