GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Red Faction, Fur Fighters or Rumble Racing. What to choose?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 02/08/01 at 19:54
Regular
I've just won GAD and I need advice on what to choose. I'm looking for a game that's fun and will last a long time. Seeing as I've got GT3 as well (with a name like this, how could I not?) I'll probably need a game you can dip in and out of. So:

Red faction has had good reports but FPSs aren't really my thing and I'm concerned about lifespan.

Fur Fighters looks good and has had good reviews. It sounds very fun and apparently lasts quite a long time as well due to the fact it's very hard. This is favourite at the moment.

I like racing games and Rumble Racing sounds good as well. I like arcade racers and I haven't got one on the PS2. This is second favourite, yet very close to first. It got 9s for both lifespan and gameplay although it doesn't look quite as fun as it might be and I have got GT3 as well.

So, any advice you can give me or maybe suggestions for other games? I've got GT3, SSX, TimeSplitters, DOA2, Monkey Island, Starfighter, Quake 3 and Crazy Taxi.

Thanks!
Fri 03/08/01 at 19:49
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Fur Fighters it is. You all have the time it takes to write "I want Fur Fighters" in an E-mail to stop me.

Thanks for all your help.
Fri 03/08/01 at 19:39
Regular
Red Faction, Fur Fighters or Rumble Racing?

I think you`ve made the right choice going for Fur Fighters. You can almost straight away rule out Rumble Racing. It is a fine game, and certainly a lot of fun, but around the release of Gran Turismo 3, any game with the word racing in it anywhere is just going to be compared to Polyphony Digital`s masterpiece, and lose.

As for Red Faction, it is also a great deal of fun, but as I recall you have Quake 3: Revolution, and the two are not amazingly different. Both have a solid single player game, and an alrightish multiplayer, so the only real difference is the geo-mod technology allowing real time deformation of your surroundings which can be found in Red Faction. With only this slight improvement, combined with your recent feelings toward first person shooters, Red Faction may not be the best choice.

This leaves Fur Fighters. It is not perfect, that has to be said, however, it is certainly quite close. The puzzles (as Devo mentioned) are not incredibly taxing, but some of them may amuse you, or make you stop and think for a little longer than you have to in Red Faction, when its "shoot or be shot".

If you`re looking for something happy, that might even make you laugh from time to time, then Fur Fighters is a good place to look. There aren`t many like it on PS2, and as PSM2 said, "its a breath of fresh air". The bright colours, happy voices, bizarre actions of nearly all the characters, and even the bad guy (the eeevill general Viggo), combined with some interesting puzzles, make it the best of the three in my opinion.

As a final incentive to go for Fur Fighters, I feel it is important to mention the fact that the loading menus are interactive. You can actually make some fairly good (though admittedly short) songs while you wait for the game to load! It may not seem like much, but it still amuses me now.
Fri 03/08/01 at 17:02
Regular
"Melliflous Wanderer"
And me, I love the game. Well worth a GAD.
Fri 03/08/01 at 15:24
A vote for common sense, from (notso)turbonutter.

I volunteer to be a punch bag if you regret the purchase ;-).
Fri 03/08/01 at 12:28
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Thanks guys, but I'm not going to get Red Faction. I've rented Rumble Racing and it's not too great. I think I'll go for Fur Fighters, thanks.
Fri 03/08/01 at 11:36
I'd say the exact opposite about Fur Fighters - it's a top game. I wouldn't say it's hard, but there's definitely a lasting challenge there. Ignoring how much I like it, how can it be 'terrible'? You ever seen an Army Men game?
Fri 03/08/01 at 02:02
Regular
Ive had red faction for a week now but still havnt played it. GT3 is starting to get a little bit boring now, so might play red faction in the next few days. i'll give u my views then.
Thu 02/08/01 at 20:33
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Yep.I only played Red Faction couple of times but it is one of the best games out there!!!!!
Thu 02/08/01 at 20:25
"High polygon count"
Red Faction - no question about that!
Thu 02/08/01 at 20:14
Regular
YOu should get rumble racing or red fation, cause im sorry but fur fighters is terrible, ive also read the reviews saying how good it is but honestly i dont know what game the reviewers were playing but it cant have been fur fighters its terrible.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.