GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"THE FUTURE OF GAMING"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 02/08/01 at 18:40
Regular
What does the future hold for gaming? Will "Miyamoto" replace "Jedi" in the 2011 census? Will platforms converge to one standard? Most of all, will games have evolved beyond simple graphical improvements?

In topics such as this people always talk about how in the future we will play games in holodecks, or in a "eXistenZ-syle" plug-and-play environment. However, what about the actual games?

In the last few years it has amazed me at how little gaming has actually evolved. The last big change was the change from 2D to 3D, the perfect example being Mario 64. But since then have games really exploited anything else other than better-graphics-than-before? Endless sequals, broken promises and lack-luster games have all been more present than ever before.

Or maybe that's just NiGHTS! being pesimistic? After all, there have been some gems. Black and White has rekindled the god sims, while Zelda 64 has brought fantasy back to life. Internet gaming is about to take off soon bringing a whole new community into existance. And yes, it will be a community. There will be the worshipped Gods that are game producers, the common folk of the gamers (in alter egos such as Marios and Sonics of course) and the theives such as the weapon stealing PSO gamers.

And for the first time, developers are putting new technology to a good use, and not just the "it's there so we have to use it" approach. Internet gaming is taking off big time.

But will this change in approach reach the rest of the gaming world? Will Eidos end the Tomb Raiders and begin to explore new territory to help revolutionise the world of gaming. NiGHTS! fears not. Companies are in gaming for the money- not the love. Love of gaming withing developers died when bedroom coding was too hard and people played games they were given, rather than games they wanted to play, and often made for this purpose. This was what created the worlds of Championship Manager and Manic Miner.

Oh well, to the future.. to the future

NiGHTS!
Thu 02/08/01 at 18:40
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
What does the future hold for gaming? Will "Miyamoto" replace "Jedi" in the 2011 census? Will platforms converge to one standard? Most of all, will games have evolved beyond simple graphical improvements?

In topics such as this people always talk about how in the future we will play games in holodecks, or in a "eXistenZ-syle" plug-and-play environment. However, what about the actual games?

In the last few years it has amazed me at how little gaming has actually evolved. The last big change was the change from 2D to 3D, the perfect example being Mario 64. But since then have games really exploited anything else other than better-graphics-than-before? Endless sequals, broken promises and lack-luster games have all been more present than ever before.

Or maybe that's just NiGHTS! being pesimistic? After all, there have been some gems. Black and White has rekindled the god sims, while Zelda 64 has brought fantasy back to life. Internet gaming is about to take off soon bringing a whole new community into existance. And yes, it will be a community. There will be the worshipped Gods that are game producers, the common folk of the gamers (in alter egos such as Marios and Sonics of course) and the theives such as the weapon stealing PSO gamers.

And for the first time, developers are putting new technology to a good use, and not just the "it's there so we have to use it" approach. Internet gaming is taking off big time.

But will this change in approach reach the rest of the gaming world? Will Eidos end the Tomb Raiders and begin to explore new territory to help revolutionise the world of gaming. NiGHTS! fears not. Companies are in gaming for the money- not the love. Love of gaming withing developers died when bedroom coding was too hard and people played games they were given, rather than games they wanted to play, and often made for this purpose. This was what created the worlds of Championship Manager and Manic Miner.

Oh well, to the future.. to the future

NiGHTS!
Thu 02/08/01 at 18:42
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
hope no one minded that I slipped into the 3rd person Redeye-style journalism in the middle there!

NiGHTS!
Thu 02/08/01 at 18:43
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
NiGHTS! wrote:
> hope no one minded that I slipped into the 3rd person Redeye-style
> journalism in the middle there!

NiGHTS!

I Do. Nah Im only joking. good post and a nice read.

: )
Thu 02/08/01 at 20:45
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
AliBoy wrote:
> NiGHTS! wrote:
> hope no one minded that I slipped into the 3rd
> person Redeye-style
> journalism in the middle
> there!

NiGHTS!

I Do. Nah Im only joking. good post and a nice
> read.

: )

lol... so no one disagrees with this? Surelyn a sick joke in the FOG?

NiGHTS!
Thu 02/08/01 at 22:15
NiGHTS! wrote:
> hope no one minded that I slipped into the 3rd person Redeye-style
> journalism in the middle there!

NiGHTS!

naa, we all do it now and again.
Sat 04/08/01 at 18:17
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Does one?
Sat 04/08/01 at 19:09
Regular
I know its not got much to do with the topic but u mentioned existenz and i just have to say what a hell of a good film that is!!!
Sat 04/08/01 at 19:14
"I love yo... lamp."
Who cares? Sadly I do not think gaming will progress untiul computing and gaming both change beyond recognition. When the computers of today are more like those of Star Trek then we will see improvements in games. But until then we will have to make do with baby steps.
Sat 04/08/01 at 20:12
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Who cares? Sadly I do not think gaming will progress untiul
> computing and gaming both change beyond recognition. When the
> computers of today are more like those of Star Trek then we will see
> improvements in games. But until then we will have to make do with
> baby steps.

Pesimism... a gamer's great hope

NiGHTS! ;)
Sat 04/08/01 at 20:14
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
TILTAWHIRL wrote:
> I know its not got much to do with the topic but u mentioned
> existenz and i just have to say what a hell of a good film that
> is!!!

Cronnenburg is my fave director... with Ridley Scott (Bladerunner, Hannabal). However, my fave film has got to be Good Will Hunting... the brilliant genius that is Will reminds me of myself ;)

NiGHTS!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.