GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I hate Deus Ex"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Deux Ex'.
Thu 18/03/04 at 17:44
Regular
"Not a Jew"
And I had a whole page of reasons typed up why I loathe this game, but AOL timed out and I lost them all.
Anyway, in short - the fact that you are offered "choices" (Wow!) doesn't not even begin to compensate for the horrible game play and the ridiculously clumsy fighting mode.
Wed 28/04/04 at 12:29
Regular
Didn't the storyline do it for you then? Scenes such as seeing two triad gangs have a massive brawl in which you could influence the outcome, or the moment when the agents come through the flat door and you have to decide whether to leg it and leave your brother to die or stay and fight, were memorable points that stick in your head long after a game has been completed.
Wed 28/04/04 at 09:29
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Icaruss wrote:
> Hmmmm, interesting to see how the state of graphics can affect a
> person's opinion of a game.

The shoddy graphics had nothing to do with it. It was the abysmal gameplay and pointless "choices" that you were given that made it bad.
Wed 28/04/04 at 09:18
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
I wouldn't really call Deus Ex a great peice of gaming but more of a time waster. Actually when your playing the game you think "wow this is great!" but now that I look back on that game it was utter toss. And after completing the PC version I thought I would spot the differences on the PS2 version. Even more utter toss.
Wed 28/04/04 at 08:17
Regular
Hmmmm, interesting to see how the state of graphics can affect a person's opinion of a game.
Wed 28/04/04 at 08:12
"Darkness, always"
Deus Ex was crap. Despite its claims to the contrary, it did nothing to advance the genre, as games already existed that far surpassed it in every way.
Mon 26/04/04 at 18:31
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
There was a PS2 version of Deus Ex, I believe.

I'm sure it was indeed even worse than the PC version (if that's possible).
Mon 26/04/04 at 17:37
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
my mistake, got confused with the original. yeh that's what really narks me when a game is developed for a console first e.g. vice city and then is redone "slightly" for the PC. i know the hav all that contractual bull but it's a waste of time.
Sun 25/04/04 at 22:13
Regular
"A man with a stick"
*disPute* wrote:
> it was dumbed down for the PS2)

Ah, I think you mean the X-Box; somehow I doubt the PS2 could manage the engine Deus Ex is built around.

I do agree however that it felt like a dumbed down version when I played the demo (Yes I know the full game is supposed to be better but that's hardly much of a recommendation).

Everything just felt cut down, the environments, the terrible inventory, the combat, it did seem suited more to a console than the PC, despite the developer, and the ass kissing PC Gamer (I hate to say it, but the article they wrote about the game did feel like Kieron Gillen sucking up) Trying to prove otherwise.

I have nothing wrong with games being developed in conjunction with other formats, just so long as there is enough put into the game for it to feel like a PC game and not just some cut down console conversion.
Sun 25/04/04 at 11:40
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
i didn't mean that the games were made easier. i really meant that elements of the games that would make it how do you say more complex are removed from games so that they appeal to the console market.
Sun 25/04/04 at 11:29
Regular
Well, I wouldn't exactly say that games are "dumbed down" for consoles. Ever played Metroid Prime on Hard? Or F-Zero GX? Just in general that game takes ages to beat. AGES. I could mention loads of games that are hard but in agreement with you, there are some games that are easy peasy but most of them aren't too good. Wind Waker is an exception of this :P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.