GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"ur 2004 hardware issue"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Unreal Tournament 2004'.
Wed 24/03/04 at 10:01
Regular
I had the ur2004 demo and it was jumpy, the more bots i had the worse it got. the full version is even worse, its far to jumpy at the best of times and i cant use more than 3 bots witout it becomeing unplayable. most of the time its on the boarderline for being unplayable online and off.

I think this is because i have a celeron cpu and cheap mainbaord.

this is my system spec

cpu: 2.4ghz, 400fsb, 128k cache, socket 478 celeron
gpu: radeon 9800 pro 128mb
sound card: 4.1 sound blaster pro 32mb
mainboard: unknown chipset buts it was cheap (only 4x agp, only suports 266hmz ddr, only suports 400 and 533 fsbs)
ram: 512ddr (266hmz)
direct x: 9b

is the cpu the problem here, and should i replase the cpu and mainboard

if i do replase them which of the following options are best and should i upgrade my ram to 400hmz ram

(1)
3.2ghz p4, 512cache, 800fsb, hyperthreadding (top of the range mb to go with it)

(2)
2000hmz (3.2actual speed) athalon64, 64bit, 1mb chache, 800fsb (top of the range mainboard to go with it)
Wed 24/03/04 at 12:22
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Press "tab" while in UT2004 and then type "stat fps" with out the " " this will show you the FPS and you can see what sort of rate your getting.
Wed 24/03/04 at 12:19
Regular
its not only onslaught and asalt which are problematic

dm and invasion are as well, invasion is fine untill the enemies appear and when they appear the frame rate dissapears. and as i said having more than a few bots renders it unplayable
Wed 24/03/04 at 11:59
Regular
The onslaught / assault do dip in framerate quite a bit because of badly optimised maps so i wouldn't be surpised if they work on improving it a bit. And by the way entry level?
I have this: [URL]http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/pentium4/index.htm?iid=ipp_desk+proc_p4&[/URL] using it's features to it's max.. with dual channel 400mhz RAM
Wed 24/03/04 at 11:24
Regular
i know 2.4 is not bad silent, however i also know that celeron is an al round entry level prosessor

it has no co prossesors built into the unit, (p4 does) it has very very low cache and bus speed and it doesent suport technologies like hyperthreadding

once i upgrade the main board and cpu will upgradeing my ram from 266hmz to 400hmz ram be worth it (remember that it will add £70+ to the cost
Wed 24/03/04 at 11:22
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Silent Scope wrote:
> onslaught + assault = badly optimized already.

I dont think they are. Ok so they dont give you the same performance as deathmatch but with the bigger levels and vehicles I cant complain at getting a decent 30-70 fps on max settings at 1280x960. Deathmatch gives over 100 fps at times depending on the map.

The only thing I can suggest is to turn down all the settings and see if you can see it getting better.

Silent Scope mentioned the sound card and looking on the back of the case it does say its recommend to have a Direct X 9 compatible sound card. Maybe try lowering your sound settings to low quality etc.

If you want a decent gaming PC then it probably is best to get a decent P4 or AMD and then get 1Gb of DDR400 and also replace the sound card, or if the motherboard has onboard audio use that, as onboard audio has vastly improved over the years.
Wed 24/03/04 at 11:12
Regular
I have a good setup...
2.4ghz p4
512mb 400mhz RAM
ATi Radeon 9800 np at 324/620
SB audigy 2

It may be that your motherboard may be hindering performance because 2.4 IS NOT bad and perhaps try upgrade your souncard..
Wed 24/03/04 at 11:00
Regular
"uncopyable"
ops, sorry. didn't realise you had a 9800 Pro. My bad.

So in that case, your CPU and memory systems are the problem.

I would go with the P4, simply because its a mature and stable platform that is quick and the 875 motherboards are also fast and stable – and you can also use a Dual Channel RAM set-up. The AMD 64 CPUs are good – and fast -, but at this stage they are still something of an unproven quantity and the same goes for the motherboards they use.
Wed 24/03/04 at 10:56
Regular
"uncopyable"
You could try turning down in game settings like the geometry and physics, as these are the CPU intensive things that eat up processor cycles and tax the memory sub system.

Although as stated, you video card isn't all that so an upgrade is probably your best bet.
Wed 24/03/04 at 10:54
Regular
I'd personally go for the P4, but that's because I don't know too much about the Athlon 64.

Nothing wrong with P4s anyway.
Wed 24/03/04 at 10:49
Regular
ive tried it with all settings cranked up to the max and with them as low as i can bear to have them. it makes little diference. What you have to remember is i have a high end graphics card (9800 pro) and people with geeforce4s can still run most games with all the graphics up.

Everyone else seams to agree that the celeron is the problem.

so which of the 2 cpus should i buy

the p4 (3.2ghz, 800fsb, 512 cache)
or the amd (64bit, 3.2ghz (2ghz amd speed), 800fsb, 1mb cache)

the costs are about the same, but the specsof the mainboard i will get for the p4 make more sense to me and im more sure that the p4 mainboard will fit in my case, accept my power supply and my hdd

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.