GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"power supplys"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/03/04 at 12:52
Regular
when i look at mainboards cases and powersuplys they says thing like AT, ATX, baby at ect.

what do all these mean and how do u know wether a case will take a certain board
Wed 24/03/04 at 22:07
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
dark child wrote:
> when you buy a motherboard how do u know wether it needs this squARE
> or not and when you buy a power supply how do u know if it has it

Look at a picture of the motherboard, is should tell you in the power supplies description, if it says it has ATX12V then it has the square.

> also if you have a power supply with a square does is it usable on
> main boards which dont need it

Absolutely.
Wed 24/03/04 at 16:17
Regular
when you buy a motherboard how do u know wether it needs this squARE or not and when you buy a power supply how do u know if it has it

also if you have a power supply with a square does is it usable on main boards which dont need it
Wed 24/03/04 at 16:09
"I love yo... lamp."
All ATX power supplies will have the long one. This is part of the ATX standard. Some newer motherboards have the small square plug as well, this is for more power to the motherboard for some more advanced features. Most power supplies now feature this.
Wed 24/03/04 at 16:01
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Just one question: What is a 'Powersuplys'? Is it an electrical platypus?
Wed 24/03/04 at 15:13
Regular
ok, but if everything is ATX explain this

ive seen some mainboards which have 2 long connectors for their power

ive seen some that have 1 long fat connector (the most common type)

and the one i have now has that long connector and a squair one (both conected at the same time)

when buying a mainboard how do u know which of these it takes?
Wed 24/03/04 at 15:01
"I love yo... lamp."
These are to do with the form factor of the motherboard.

AT is ancient now, was used in the very first PC's 20 years ago and has been obsolete itself for nearly 10.

Everything now is ATX, or a variation of. Micro ATX and Baby ATX are smaller versions for smaller cases, like the Shuttle PCs. ATX power supplies are used in Micro and Baby ATX based PCs.

However, micro and baby ATX motherboards can be just as powerful as normal ATX, size is the only real difference.
Wed 24/03/04 at 14:51
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Hire an expert.

I cost £25 per hour if you're interested.
Wed 24/03/04 at 12:52
Regular
when i look at mainboards cases and powersuplys they says thing like AT, ATX, baby at ect.

what do all these mean and how do u know wether a case will take a certain board

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.