GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Crime Scene Investigation: Deadly Intent"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'CSI: Deadly Intent'.
Wed 27/01/10 at 13:31
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Crime Scene Investigation (CSI): Deadly Intent
Xbox 360

There has been a murder. There is a crime scene and a murder weapon has been found. Several witnesses have a motive, but what really happened? CSI: Deadly Intent is the second console-based game based on the hit US crime investigation TV series.

Very much like the first game, Deadly Intent gives you five murder cases to solve. Don't worry about not knowing where to start. you are buddied up with another investigator, who will show you the ropes and a huge array of scientific equipment and a lab to back you when it comes to collecting and analysing evidence.

The game is very much a point-and-click affair, with a cursor to command the actions you wish to undertake. You arrive at a crime scene and have a few views of the scene. You can zoom in on any areas that look suspicious for a closer view (although sometimes you do not find anything in terms of evidence in these areas). Upon examine these areas, you use a selection of tools to collect your evidence. Finding the evidence invariably means moving your cursor around until it changes into a small toolbox shaped icon. Fair simple, but at the same time can take a while down to finding the exact spot the evidence is located.

Evidence collection varies from taking pictures of the scene, dusting and collecting fingerprints, taking swabs of blood for analysis to making an impression of a footprint. There are lots of collection techniques that I haven't mentioned, making this game rather deep. The great thing is that it won't let you select an evidence collecting tool that isn't needed, so that when on the field you don't have to select through an assortment of tools to get the right one. I suppose that could take away the thinking behind the game, but it does make it easier.

Of course evidence collection is only just part of the story. What good are fingerprints and DNA if you don't analyse them? How are you going to pin down the right suspect if you don't compare data? Well this is where the fun comes into the game. You have the best crime lab in Las Vegas at your hands. DNA comparison, chemical composition analysers, microscopes, A/V lab and a reconstruction table all play their part in finding the answer to what you are looking for.

In the previous game, this wasn't nearly as much fun. Literally you placed the item of evidence in the machine and got your analysis. In Deadly Intent, you need to work for your analysis. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as they take part in the form of puzzle minigames. These games vary from the chemical analysis (a pattern has to be recreated from segments) to the DNA search (moving the genetic code patterns into the relevant place on the selected DNA pattern). It is important to analyse well and not make any mistakes as this would impact on your skill rating - if you want to be classed as a top notch investigator, you need the skill!

Skill isn't the only score in the game. You need to thorough. If you leave the crime scene without searching the entire area, then who knows - you may have missed some vital evidence. Some areas of the scene may reveal nothing at all, but at least you know you have checked everything you could. Being thorough isn't just limited to searching the scene. It is about making sure you check your evidence for further evidence - that broken bottle on the floor by the victim, is there a fingerprint we could extract? It may hold a clue. This thoroughness makes the game fun as it starts to make you think like a real forensic scientist!

There is one more area that you are judged on. You cunning plays a huge part in interrogating the witnesses (as well as obtaining the warrant for a room search or an arrest). Being clever with your questions and having proof to refute any answers a suspect may have raises your score. This can be quickly lowered by asking the wrong thing at the wrong time or supplying the wrong evidence to back up any statements you have made. In fact, if you make too many blunders (such as implying a suspect was there because of a hair that was found, even though he is clearly bald), your partner for the case whisks you out of the room for a cool down.

So even though at times the game may play like a standard point-and-click, bearing in mind that all actions have a bearing on your final score makes the game have more purpose than to just find the murderer. It adds depth and meaning to your playthrough, as well as making it feel as though your role as the player is important.

However, there are some noticeable drawbacks within the game. The first is that it is way too short. I've played Xbox Live Arcade games that have lasted longer than this one. Although it offers five cases, each one only takes about 90 minutes to complete (and that’s even by being extremely thorough). It may be nice to have additional cases available for download, but then again, it could mean another game being released.

Another drawback is the cursor for the point-and-click. Anybody who has read the "What are you playing?" thread may recall I had a problem with the cursor flying all over the place. From a few other reviews I have come across before writing my own, also stated that they also had this problem at some point in the game. I managed to swap my controller over and sorted out the problem, although occasionally it happened with my new controller. Another point on the cursor is that it is difficult to control. Sometimes moving way to slowly to actually get anything done and most of the time so fast that you cannot exert any form of fine movement to analyse data or find evidence. It does get very frustrating - especially if you are going for a high skill score.

Graphically the game is mediocre - it definitely doesn't set the world alight. It's a 2009 game, but is on par with a game released at launch. It flows well most of the time, but there are a few laggy moments which can spoil the game. A game can't go on graphics alone, but it is felt that if a little more effort went into them then my score of the game would be slightly higher.

Soundwise the game is nearly all there. Some of the actors from CSI are featured in the game but some of the characters have "cover" voices instead. This is a shame as it does feel rather authentic. The great thing is all words are spoken and there is very little reading to be done (you only read what question you would like to ask). Audio evidence is interesting to listen to and really adds to the game. I would like to add that the ambience of the game fits perfectly and can help ping your intuition in the completely wrong direction (the red herring as you will). Very clever.

Overall Crime Scene Investigation: Deadly Intent is worth a playthrough for anyone with an interest in the show or in forensic science in general. It provides proof that point-and-click games in this generation still work and for anybody that enjoyed playing them in the early days of computer gaming, you will enjoy this game as well. Probably too short to warrant a full-price new purchase, but if you can pick it up a cheap, preowned copy somewhere or have a subscription a computer game rental service, it is worth a look at. Just don't expect it to take you weeks to complete!

74%
Wed 27/01/10 at 13:31
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Crime Scene Investigation (CSI): Deadly Intent
Xbox 360

There has been a murder. There is a crime scene and a murder weapon has been found. Several witnesses have a motive, but what really happened? CSI: Deadly Intent is the second console-based game based on the hit US crime investigation TV series.

Very much like the first game, Deadly Intent gives you five murder cases to solve. Don't worry about not knowing where to start. you are buddied up with another investigator, who will show you the ropes and a huge array of scientific equipment and a lab to back you when it comes to collecting and analysing evidence.

The game is very much a point-and-click affair, with a cursor to command the actions you wish to undertake. You arrive at a crime scene and have a few views of the scene. You can zoom in on any areas that look suspicious for a closer view (although sometimes you do not find anything in terms of evidence in these areas). Upon examine these areas, you use a selection of tools to collect your evidence. Finding the evidence invariably means moving your cursor around until it changes into a small toolbox shaped icon. Fair simple, but at the same time can take a while down to finding the exact spot the evidence is located.

Evidence collection varies from taking pictures of the scene, dusting and collecting fingerprints, taking swabs of blood for analysis to making an impression of a footprint. There are lots of collection techniques that I haven't mentioned, making this game rather deep. The great thing is that it won't let you select an evidence collecting tool that isn't needed, so that when on the field you don't have to select through an assortment of tools to get the right one. I suppose that could take away the thinking behind the game, but it does make it easier.

Of course evidence collection is only just part of the story. What good are fingerprints and DNA if you don't analyse them? How are you going to pin down the right suspect if you don't compare data? Well this is where the fun comes into the game. You have the best crime lab in Las Vegas at your hands. DNA comparison, chemical composition analysers, microscopes, A/V lab and a reconstruction table all play their part in finding the answer to what you are looking for.

In the previous game, this wasn't nearly as much fun. Literally you placed the item of evidence in the machine and got your analysis. In Deadly Intent, you need to work for your analysis. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as they take part in the form of puzzle minigames. These games vary from the chemical analysis (a pattern has to be recreated from segments) to the DNA search (moving the genetic code patterns into the relevant place on the selected DNA pattern). It is important to analyse well and not make any mistakes as this would impact on your skill rating - if you want to be classed as a top notch investigator, you need the skill!

Skill isn't the only score in the game. You need to thorough. If you leave the crime scene without searching the entire area, then who knows - you may have missed some vital evidence. Some areas of the scene may reveal nothing at all, but at least you know you have checked everything you could. Being thorough isn't just limited to searching the scene. It is about making sure you check your evidence for further evidence - that broken bottle on the floor by the victim, is there a fingerprint we could extract? It may hold a clue. This thoroughness makes the game fun as it starts to make you think like a real forensic scientist!

There is one more area that you are judged on. You cunning plays a huge part in interrogating the witnesses (as well as obtaining the warrant for a room search or an arrest). Being clever with your questions and having proof to refute any answers a suspect may have raises your score. This can be quickly lowered by asking the wrong thing at the wrong time or supplying the wrong evidence to back up any statements you have made. In fact, if you make too many blunders (such as implying a suspect was there because of a hair that was found, even though he is clearly bald), your partner for the case whisks you out of the room for a cool down.

So even though at times the game may play like a standard point-and-click, bearing in mind that all actions have a bearing on your final score makes the game have more purpose than to just find the murderer. It adds depth and meaning to your playthrough, as well as making it feel as though your role as the player is important.

However, there are some noticeable drawbacks within the game. The first is that it is way too short. I've played Xbox Live Arcade games that have lasted longer than this one. Although it offers five cases, each one only takes about 90 minutes to complete (and that’s even by being extremely thorough). It may be nice to have additional cases available for download, but then again, it could mean another game being released.

Another drawback is the cursor for the point-and-click. Anybody who has read the "What are you playing?" thread may recall I had a problem with the cursor flying all over the place. From a few other reviews I have come across before writing my own, also stated that they also had this problem at some point in the game. I managed to swap my controller over and sorted out the problem, although occasionally it happened with my new controller. Another point on the cursor is that it is difficult to control. Sometimes moving way to slowly to actually get anything done and most of the time so fast that you cannot exert any form of fine movement to analyse data or find evidence. It does get very frustrating - especially if you are going for a high skill score.

Graphically the game is mediocre - it definitely doesn't set the world alight. It's a 2009 game, but is on par with a game released at launch. It flows well most of the time, but there are a few laggy moments which can spoil the game. A game can't go on graphics alone, but it is felt that if a little more effort went into them then my score of the game would be slightly higher.

Soundwise the game is nearly all there. Some of the actors from CSI are featured in the game but some of the characters have "cover" voices instead. This is a shame as it does feel rather authentic. The great thing is all words are spoken and there is very little reading to be done (you only read what question you would like to ask). Audio evidence is interesting to listen to and really adds to the game. I would like to add that the ambience of the game fits perfectly and can help ping your intuition in the completely wrong direction (the red herring as you will). Very clever.

Overall Crime Scene Investigation: Deadly Intent is worth a playthrough for anyone with an interest in the show or in forensic science in general. It provides proof that point-and-click games in this generation still work and for anybody that enjoyed playing them in the early days of computer gaming, you will enjoy this game as well. Probably too short to warrant a full-price new purchase, but if you can pick it up a cheap, preowned copy somewhere or have a subscription a computer game rental service, it is worth a look at. Just don't expect it to take you weeks to complete!

74%
Wed 27/01/10 at 14:11
"possibly impossible"
Good review.

As I read the first line my first thought though was 'Taggart'. What a great idea for a game, I can see it now:

Earn points for a strong Scottish accent when you say 'There's been a Murrrrdeer' in to the microphone.

Trapse the grim highlands in search of clues.

Unlockable Jim Taggart character.
Wed 27/01/10 at 16:18
Regular
"How Ironic"
Played the demo of this. The demo doesn't let you find out in the end who the murderer is. I was so annoyed :(
Wed 27/01/10 at 17:15
Regular
"And in last place.."
Nice review, it has convinced me to download the demo.

@PB, excellent idea with the Taggart game but I would keep it out of the highlands, a 'documentary' about Glasgow has no need for the great chief inspector to venture up north.
Thu 28/01/10 at 08:25
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Sonic Chris wrote:
> Played the demo of this. The demo doesn't let you find out in the
> end who the murderer is. I was so annoyed :(

What case was this - facebook me the case and I'll let you know who the murrrdeer-er is :p

Hope you enjoy the demo dav!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.