GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"thisis the reason Yamauchi dissed square..."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 31/07/01 at 10:10
Regular
If you remember, SONY announced (Not SquareSoft) that FinalFantasy X would be released the same month, close to the same date, as when the GameCube comes to the U.S. This ofcourse, without any doubt whatsoever, is a complete kick in the pants to Nintendo.
Sony is not just saying that they want to be Nintendo's main competitor, but they are also rubbing it in Nintendo's face that they have Square and Nintendo can't do anything about it.
Square on the other hand has said (and according to strong sources) that they REALLY want to be with Nintendo again. And whynot? it isn't a bad idea.
So Mr.Yamauchi, being the fireball that he is, simply comes out in rage of Sony announcing this little jig about FFX, and says that "they" don't need Square to succeed with GBA and GC. This also means he isn't speaking on behalf of the other folks at Nintendo, just his own. I'm sure everyone at Nintendo wants Square back on their side.

Tell me what you guys think. Personally, the mend between Nintendo and Square is far from taking place, just because of Mr.Y and his place as pres.
Tue 31/07/01 at 22:57
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
If I remember right, Yamauchi didn't "diss" Square to the extent that was reported in the Western press. This is one of the problems of Japaneese not having 100% equivalent English words/phrases and journalists keen to blow the matter up into a good shock headline.

Nintendo are a traditional Japaneese company therefore loyalty is important to them. Nintendo and Square were close bed fellows in the 16-bit days but then Sony entered the fray and stole them away. Yamauchi said that Square needed Nintendo more than Nintendo needed Square - correct. Sqaure want the GBA cartridge sales, Nintendo on the other hand will sell millions of GBAs without Square as a 3rd party. So, Nintendo offered them the same deal as all other 3rd party GBA developers - you must create some GC content too. Square turned their noses up to this (we think at present) and that was end of story. The supposed bad mouthing didn't happen to any where near the extent reported in the Western gaming press.
Tue 31/07/01 at 11:09
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
I would love to see Square back with Nintendo. For the past couple of years, I've had to buy FF7 and FF8 for the PC because I've never owned a Sony console. Sure, they're ok on the PC, but the FMVs are stretched from the PSs 320x240 res to 640x480 and also controlling Cloud with a keyboard can be a nightmare at times! Oh, how I desire to see all those little characters with there chessy dialogue and flashy spells on GCN! :(
Tue 31/07/01 at 10:10
If you remember, SONY announced (Not SquareSoft) that FinalFantasy X would be released the same month, close to the same date, as when the GameCube comes to the U.S. This ofcourse, without any doubt whatsoever, is a complete kick in the pants to Nintendo.
Sony is not just saying that they want to be Nintendo's main competitor, but they are also rubbing it in Nintendo's face that they have Square and Nintendo can't do anything about it.
Square on the other hand has said (and according to strong sources) that they REALLY want to be with Nintendo again. And whynot? it isn't a bad idea.
So Mr.Yamauchi, being the fireball that he is, simply comes out in rage of Sony announcing this little jig about FFX, and says that "they" don't need Square to succeed with GBA and GC. This also means he isn't speaking on behalf of the other folks at Nintendo, just his own. I'm sure everyone at Nintendo wants Square back on their side.

Tell me what you guys think. Personally, the mend between Nintendo and Square is far from taking place, just because of Mr.Y and his place as pres.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.