GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"King Kong vs. Godzilla"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 31/07/01 at 09:54
Regular
Interesting story from that staple of British news, The Sun.

Despite the source, it'll be interesting to keep an eye in this. As we all know, both Microsoft and Sony have big on-line plans for their consoles. And Sony have signed up with AOL.

While I have a dislike of both companies, I'd have to side with AOL on this one. Not because of the Sony link; that is - honestly - irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. I just think it's about time someone gave Gates taste of his own medicine! :-)

The last part, about Microsoft seeking help from competition watchdogs, is irony at its sweetest!

More related news here:

http://www.cnn.com /2001/TECH/industry/07/26 /msoft.aol.broadband.idg/index.html

And here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi /english/business/newsid_1429000 /1429959.stm

Remember to remove those spaces!

-----

IT'S being billed as King Kong versus Godzilla - a looming war over who rules the internet.

AOL TIME WARNER, the world's biggest media company, is at battle stations against Bill Gates's MICROSOFT.

AOL Time Warner, which makes Bugs Bunny's cartoons and owns Madonna's record label, aims to merge its cable arm with that of phone giant AT&T in a $100billion (£70million) deal.

It would make AOL the biggest player providing ordinary Americans with high-speed internet access.

But it could wreck Microsoft's plans to dominate the market for the next generation of interactive services being developed for internet users across the world.

The merged AOL company would run something like two in five cable connections to American households.

Billionaire Mr Gates fears AOL would shut out Microsoft's interactive package, Passport, in favour of its own Magic Carpet service.

Microsoft's basic internet service, MSN, already competes directly with AOL's and the pair failed to reach a deal on software licensing last week.

AOL's Gerald Levin and At&T's Michael Armstrong have yet to agree an alliance, though the New York Post reported that talks have stepped up.

Relationships between AOL and Microsoft broke down last year. Then, AOL gave evidence against Microsoft when US government competition watchdogs took Microsoft to court.

More recently, Microsoft hinted that it believes AOL is behind a bid by US Senator Chuck Schumer to delay the launch of its new Windows XP operating system on competition grounds.

SUN WALL STREET COMMENT:
If AOL and AT&T go ahead, Bill Gates will not take it lying down.

It could even result in the bizarre sight of Microsoft supporting a bid by competition watchdogs to block the tie-up.
Thu 02/08/01 at 01:46
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
You know it Myst1que.

A giant ape would destroy anything that stood in it's path.
Thu 02/08/01 at 00:45
Regular
yeah the monkey will win
Tue 31/07/01 at 13:29
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Not unless this giant lizard breaths, fire, spits hot sticky goop and poisoous substances!!!
Tue 31/07/01 at 10:55
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
King Kong would always win.

A giant ape can take a lizard any day of the week.
Tue 31/07/01 at 09:54
"High polygon count"
Interesting story from that staple of British news, The Sun.

Despite the source, it'll be interesting to keep an eye in this. As we all know, both Microsoft and Sony have big on-line plans for their consoles. And Sony have signed up with AOL.

While I have a dislike of both companies, I'd have to side with AOL on this one. Not because of the Sony link; that is - honestly - irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. I just think it's about time someone gave Gates taste of his own medicine! :-)

The last part, about Microsoft seeking help from competition watchdogs, is irony at its sweetest!

More related news here:

http://www.cnn.com /2001/TECH/industry/07/26 /msoft.aol.broadband.idg/index.html

And here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi /english/business/newsid_1429000 /1429959.stm

Remember to remove those spaces!

-----

IT'S being billed as King Kong versus Godzilla - a looming war over who rules the internet.

AOL TIME WARNER, the world's biggest media company, is at battle stations against Bill Gates's MICROSOFT.

AOL Time Warner, which makes Bugs Bunny's cartoons and owns Madonna's record label, aims to merge its cable arm with that of phone giant AT&T in a $100billion (£70million) deal.

It would make AOL the biggest player providing ordinary Americans with high-speed internet access.

But it could wreck Microsoft's plans to dominate the market for the next generation of interactive services being developed for internet users across the world.

The merged AOL company would run something like two in five cable connections to American households.

Billionaire Mr Gates fears AOL would shut out Microsoft's interactive package, Passport, in favour of its own Magic Carpet service.

Microsoft's basic internet service, MSN, already competes directly with AOL's and the pair failed to reach a deal on software licensing last week.

AOL's Gerald Levin and At&T's Michael Armstrong have yet to agree an alliance, though the New York Post reported that talks have stepped up.

Relationships between AOL and Microsoft broke down last year. Then, AOL gave evidence against Microsoft when US government competition watchdogs took Microsoft to court.

More recently, Microsoft hinted that it believes AOL is behind a bid by US Senator Chuck Schumer to delay the launch of its new Windows XP operating system on competition grounds.

SUN WALL STREET COMMENT:
If AOL and AT&T go ahead, Bill Gates will not take it lying down.

It could even result in the bizarre sight of Microsoft supporting a bid by competition watchdogs to block the tie-up.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.