GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Zelda Four Swords Massive Review, (sorry about the size!)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures'.
Sat 27/03/04 at 22:53
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Ok, i haven't really anticipated this game at all, i wasn't going to buy it until the special deal on Play-Asia. I only had One GBA SP so i rushed out to buy a second-hand GBA for a measly some of £34.99! Another Link Lead comes free with the game so i already had two of them. Is it worth all of the expense and hassle? Find Out now!

I will do this review in 3 paragraphs, one for each game. Everything you need to know Pros and Cons are included. Sorry it's so long but i hope it gives you alot of info!

Hyrule Adventure
1-4 players

Hyrule Adventure is the main meat of the game! As the version i have bought is in JAPANESE i'm pleased to say there isn't much talking to people and when there is, i believe it's nothing important as i've carried on well without knowing what anyone is saying, believe me you won't care about it being in Japanese at all it's SUPERB, and i mean SUPERB. I'm playing the main game with my bro, i do believe that this game is MUCH BETTER with more then one players however Hyrule Adventure can be played on your own using a GBA or Controller! The game consists of solving puzzles, defeating masses of enemies at once (one time saw around 30 or so knights come running towards us, and another saw 50 or so bats flying through the air needed to be shot down with your Bow) and throwing your team mates around and becoming a traitor and knicking all the good stuff! It's excellent. The Controls need a little bit of time to get used too i can easily say it's around 30-45 mins learning curve depending on how good you actually are, however now it plays like a dream. The Graphics are Good, i really cannot go over-board because it's in 2D but nice smoke effects (which look like Wind Waker) and bright colours make this pretty sweet. The GBA-TV feature works excellently, obviously the reason why you need the GBA is when you go inside one house and the other players go inside something else, Nintendo opted out of splitting the TV in half by using the GBA to switch players from outside to inside enviroments, when you outside the GBA screen states 'TV' however when you go into a building it makes a funny noise and you must then look at the GBA, the graphics then turn into A Link To The Past style, it never goes wrong, it's totally perfect and extremeley polished, fantastic!!! Overall Hyrule adventure is more of what i wanted to see in Wind Waker, literally loads of puzzles to solve, loads of enemies to kill, not any boring parts and two or more co-operate modes! The game also features special Tingle Mini-Games which are Excellent, there's about 5 or so to collect, the first one is a horse race which is extremeley addictive and ALOT of fun. If i knew how good this was going to be, i wouldn't of been able to wait as long as i did! 10/10

Shadow Battle
2-4 Players

In this game you need more then one player! Sadly it has no enemy bots but baddies do crop up while your fighting with your mates. At the start of the game you pick your colour Link and what battle arena you want, there's 5 availible to start and an extra 5 to unlock, everyone is riddled with booby traps and indoor enviroments to hide in, one enviroment even sees you beating each other up while getting out of the way of a spinning fire trap (like Bowsers Castle Mario Kart DD). The controls are near indentical to Hyrule Adventure, 'A' makes Link swipe his sword, holding it down does a spin attack, 'B' shoots any other weapon you have, R picks up objects, 'A' also opens chests etc.. This game is most probably the best multiplayer fun i've had since Goldeneye and Super Smash Bros. It's a tad like Bomberman but obviously with a Zelda feel! You can even ride Epona and do special attacks! You'll Never want to hit a chicken again ;) Another Great addition to the Four Swords! 9/10

Navi Trackers
2-4 players

Now sadly this isn't going to be featured in the USA version nor do i think it will make the UK and personally, I DON'T KNOW WHY!!! It's fantastic, it's a non-stop rush of adrenaline as you try your best to out-do your opponents. Tetra from Wind-Waker makes a superb appearence in fall glory, it's cut-scences at the start even have Wind Waker Cel-Shaded graphics and looks excellent. At the start you pick your colour Link, Time Limit and enter your name and arena! Only one is availible at the start but once you've beaten the record in that arena (by collecting an amount of Stamp when all players are added up together) then you can begin. Now there's alot of talking at the start! However i believe she's telling you what to do, and it's pretty simple! On the TV screen is a map featuring round silver Stamps with Numbers on them, each of the pirates in Wind Waker feature in this game and when the timer start you have to race to the Stamp that states number 1, once you get to the pirate with the number 1 stamp you simply press 'A' and he gives you the points and Stamp then it's pirate 2 you must race too! While your running around looking at the GBA mainly! you must constantly look up and down at the TV screen to know exactly where to go to get the next Stamp (A Link's head shows where you are) You must also collect items to win points also, and if you collect special badges Tetra throws items every now and again to the player who is doing well or not so well to help them! Your helping each other to win new areans but facing each-other to see who wins the rounds overall. Overall it's a great laugh and another fantastic addition, why there getting rid of this i do not know! 8/10

Overall The Four Swords Plus is so far the biggest 'Dark Horse' game i have ever purchased, which looked like a more polished version of the GBA game 'A four Swords' has generally become the best Gamecube game of the first half of this year (In Japan at least) My overall score is going to be huge generally because the great value for money, i would however think about it alot if your a single player before buying it (only buy it if you are an avid Zelda Collecter) i would say however it's worth buying another second-hand GBA (at least) to fully get the best out of it! My overall score is 98% IT'S AMAZING. Again sorry for the MASSIVE paragraphs, hope you enjoyed reading it! :)
Mon 29/03/04 at 15:46
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Well it deserves 98% purely for value for money, all 3 games are excellent, i love Hyrule adventure and Shadow Battle to bits and Navi Trackers is also superb, i've said in earlier reviews that the scores i give them doesn't help towards to the final % score i give. Hyrule Adventure is classic Zelda and with loads of mates helping you out with GBA's this is excellent stuff, it only beats Wind Waker and Ocarina Of time because it has 3 main games and loads of stuff to do in each and it's in my opinion very innovative. However overall it's 2D graphics won't help towards Magazine Review scores like i said i reckon it will get around 92-94%, at the moment my 98% score STILL STANDS that's what i think of it, we are all different you'll probably hate it like others meaning you won't agree...

The game is very long, me and my bro played for around 2-2 1/2 hours to get the first maid, there's 7 maids to get + Zelda, which means around 14 hours of gameplay, obviously however the game is going to get harder, we did so much in that 2 hours it was unbelieveable so it could probably stretch to about 15+ hours. The other two modes however will never get boring so they haven't got a lifespan, there's even a special attack in the Battle mode to make Link jump which is cool (thought i just tell you that LOL)

Overall i love it! But if your on your own (single player only lets you play one of the game modes) the score could drop below 79%...

Hope that helps :)
Mon 29/03/04 at 10:58
Regular
So you're saying this is the best Zelda yet? How long is it, exactly?

Surely three games scored 10/10, 9/10 and 8/10 don't deserve 98%? So far it's looking o be the weakest Zelda yet, in 1-player anyway.
Sun 28/03/04 at 23:18
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
In conclusion this shows that it's a waste of time doing reviews! lol We all have different opinions so not all of us are going to agree, that's fine. Personally i think i haven't over-hyped anything and if i have, i'm glad because Four Swords deserves to be over-hyped, it's Zelda for Christ Sake!

Overall i'm pleased you took the time to enter this topic, read my review and post something back so thanks for that. :)
Sun 28/03/04 at 21:01
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Ah Owen, what would we do without him?
Sun 28/03/04 at 18:43
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
If I was to comment on the review I would say it overhypes everything, just like all your reviews do.
Sun 28/03/04 at 17:04
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Memorandum! wrote:
> Erm...this isn't a particularly long post...

Sorry if i have dissapointed you but is's long for me! Complimenting me on writing a big review with alot of info on this game would of been nice instead of going about about the size of the post, don't know why i bother sometimes (i won't next time), some people can be so out of order...
Sun 28/03/04 at 16:33
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Erm...this isn't a particularly long post...
Sun 28/03/04 at 15:06
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Yep sure is and i'm not changing the score for anybody, i think my scores lately have been correct; i gave Metal Gear Solid 92% and the same for Harvest Moon. I still know for a fact my 95% score was kind of correct for Sphinx perhaps about 3% over what it should of been but i really enjoyed it, best adventure i've played since Zelda. My only wrong score was Vexx which was miles over the top, but you must remember i really didn't play it long enough to give it a score like that, so it was my fault now i would give it 72% but i haven't got it anymore so that tells you how i feel about it now! LOL :)

HOWEVER you must believe me with Four Swords 98% IS CORRECT in my opinion, i'm guess around 94-97% in magazines. Anyway do you think my reivew was good and informative? :)
Sun 28/03/04 at 13:36
Regular
98%? I'm guessing this a classic 'Owen' score. :-P
Sat 27/03/04 at 22:53
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Ok, i haven't really anticipated this game at all, i wasn't going to buy it until the special deal on Play-Asia. I only had One GBA SP so i rushed out to buy a second-hand GBA for a measly some of £34.99! Another Link Lead comes free with the game so i already had two of them. Is it worth all of the expense and hassle? Find Out now!

I will do this review in 3 paragraphs, one for each game. Everything you need to know Pros and Cons are included. Sorry it's so long but i hope it gives you alot of info!

Hyrule Adventure
1-4 players

Hyrule Adventure is the main meat of the game! As the version i have bought is in JAPANESE i'm pleased to say there isn't much talking to people and when there is, i believe it's nothing important as i've carried on well without knowing what anyone is saying, believe me you won't care about it being in Japanese at all it's SUPERB, and i mean SUPERB. I'm playing the main game with my bro, i do believe that this game is MUCH BETTER with more then one players however Hyrule Adventure can be played on your own using a GBA or Controller! The game consists of solving puzzles, defeating masses of enemies at once (one time saw around 30 or so knights come running towards us, and another saw 50 or so bats flying through the air needed to be shot down with your Bow) and throwing your team mates around and becoming a traitor and knicking all the good stuff! It's excellent. The Controls need a little bit of time to get used too i can easily say it's around 30-45 mins learning curve depending on how good you actually are, however now it plays like a dream. The Graphics are Good, i really cannot go over-board because it's in 2D but nice smoke effects (which look like Wind Waker) and bright colours make this pretty sweet. The GBA-TV feature works excellently, obviously the reason why you need the GBA is when you go inside one house and the other players go inside something else, Nintendo opted out of splitting the TV in half by using the GBA to switch players from outside to inside enviroments, when you outside the GBA screen states 'TV' however when you go into a building it makes a funny noise and you must then look at the GBA, the graphics then turn into A Link To The Past style, it never goes wrong, it's totally perfect and extremeley polished, fantastic!!! Overall Hyrule adventure is more of what i wanted to see in Wind Waker, literally loads of puzzles to solve, loads of enemies to kill, not any boring parts and two or more co-operate modes! The game also features special Tingle Mini-Games which are Excellent, there's about 5 or so to collect, the first one is a horse race which is extremeley addictive and ALOT of fun. If i knew how good this was going to be, i wouldn't of been able to wait as long as i did! 10/10

Shadow Battle
2-4 Players

In this game you need more then one player! Sadly it has no enemy bots but baddies do crop up while your fighting with your mates. At the start of the game you pick your colour Link and what battle arena you want, there's 5 availible to start and an extra 5 to unlock, everyone is riddled with booby traps and indoor enviroments to hide in, one enviroment even sees you beating each other up while getting out of the way of a spinning fire trap (like Bowsers Castle Mario Kart DD). The controls are near indentical to Hyrule Adventure, 'A' makes Link swipe his sword, holding it down does a spin attack, 'B' shoots any other weapon you have, R picks up objects, 'A' also opens chests etc.. This game is most probably the best multiplayer fun i've had since Goldeneye and Super Smash Bros. It's a tad like Bomberman but obviously with a Zelda feel! You can even ride Epona and do special attacks! You'll Never want to hit a chicken again ;) Another Great addition to the Four Swords! 9/10

Navi Trackers
2-4 players

Now sadly this isn't going to be featured in the USA version nor do i think it will make the UK and personally, I DON'T KNOW WHY!!! It's fantastic, it's a non-stop rush of adrenaline as you try your best to out-do your opponents. Tetra from Wind-Waker makes a superb appearence in fall glory, it's cut-scences at the start even have Wind Waker Cel-Shaded graphics and looks excellent. At the start you pick your colour Link, Time Limit and enter your name and arena! Only one is availible at the start but once you've beaten the record in that arena (by collecting an amount of Stamp when all players are added up together) then you can begin. Now there's alot of talking at the start! However i believe she's telling you what to do, and it's pretty simple! On the TV screen is a map featuring round silver Stamps with Numbers on them, each of the pirates in Wind Waker feature in this game and when the timer start you have to race to the Stamp that states number 1, once you get to the pirate with the number 1 stamp you simply press 'A' and he gives you the points and Stamp then it's pirate 2 you must race too! While your running around looking at the GBA mainly! you must constantly look up and down at the TV screen to know exactly where to go to get the next Stamp (A Link's head shows where you are) You must also collect items to win points also, and if you collect special badges Tetra throws items every now and again to the player who is doing well or not so well to help them! Your helping each other to win new areans but facing each-other to see who wins the rounds overall. Overall it's a great laugh and another fantastic addition, why there getting rid of this i do not know! 8/10

Overall The Four Swords Plus is so far the biggest 'Dark Horse' game i have ever purchased, which looked like a more polished version of the GBA game 'A four Swords' has generally become the best Gamecube game of the first half of this year (In Japan at least) My overall score is going to be huge generally because the great value for money, i would however think about it alot if your a single player before buying it (only buy it if you are an avid Zelda Collecter) i would say however it's worth buying another second-hand GBA (at least) to fully get the best out of it! My overall score is 98% IT'S AMAZING. Again sorry for the MASSIVE paragraphs, hope you enjoyed reading it! :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.