GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'm Buying a Digital Camera - Please help"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/01/07 at 22:31
Regular
"Tempus Fugit"
Hi, i'm looking to buy a digital camera at the moment, i've got about £140 to spend maximum and i want a t least a 6 megapixel camera and it MUST have a lithium battery. It's jsut there are so many out there, can any of you guys recommend any that are pretty good.
Tue 23/01/07 at 22:31
Regular
"Tempus Fugit"
Hi, i'm looking to buy a digital camera at the moment, i've got about £140 to spend maximum and i want a t least a 6 megapixel camera and it MUST have a lithium battery. It's jsut there are so many out there, can any of you guys recommend any that are pretty good.
Tue 23/01/07 at 22:39
Regular
"I may return"
No... Sorry
Tue 23/01/07 at 22:43
Regular
My Olympus Camedia C350 was pretty good at the time I bought it; £120 two years back, though it was only 3.5Megapixels.

If you're intending to buy a camera, as with almost nothing else I'd stick to the known brands such as Olympus, Pentax, Nikon, Fuji and Canon - however, I'm not too sure what you'll be able to pick up for those brands at 6megapixels under a few hundred, however alternatives such as HP are equally accessible, for about half the price.

What is it you're looking for apart from the battery, a camera for use on holidays and simply recreational use.. or one you intend to use for reasonably serious amateur photography or a University course? I only say that as the 6megapixels seems a bit excessive, when you could just as easily get one about 4megapixels, which is excellent quality, that's a really well-known brand and comes with all the extras you could ever want.

How much does an optical zoom feature matter to you, and whether the camera uses XD or SD picture cards? (XD being more expensive, but more available, and slightly more for your money)

Right well in terms of looking.. I'd suggest Jessops as your first choice site.

The £80 HP looks about your best bet, other than that the prices tend to soar up into the several hundreds. It comes with 5x digital zoom too. AND it comes with a printer!

Argos is also pretty good for looking for cameras.

Tell me if any of this helps, and I'll try and get back to ya with more info.
Tue 23/01/07 at 23:09
Regular
"Tempus Fugit"
yes that info helped thanks. i quite like the look of the Sony CYBER-SHOT W30 Digital Camera.
Wed 24/01/07 at 06:59
Regular
"..."
If you can be bothered, nip into your local John Lewis and have a play with a few, some have ridiculously convoluted menus (especially Sony)...

Once you're done having a play, make a note of the make and model, then go and buy it off the interweb.
Wed 24/01/07 at 07:07
Regular
"Monochromatic"
The prices have dropped quite a lot recently so you should be able to get something decent. Make sure you try before you buy though, i didn't and i ended up with a camera that's next to useless in anything but good light.
Wed 24/01/07 at 08:18
Regular
"Tempus Fugit"
Cong Man wrote:
> If you can be bothered, nip into your local John Lewis and have a
> play with a few, some have ridiculously convoluted menus
> (especially Sony)...
>
> Once you're done having a play, make a note of the make and
> model, then go and buy it off the interweb.

Well i would do that, only there is no John lewis near where i live.
Tue 06/02/07 at 15:40
Regular
"pilko182.piczo.com"
I think that the best one you can get at the moment is the fujifilm finepix F470 for £109.88 inc VAT, fujifilm are great camera makers and its 6 million pixels or 6 megapixels, whatever you want to call it
Tue 06/02/07 at 17:39
Regular
"Tempus Fugit"
where is this camera from, it sounds quite good.
Wed 07/02/07 at 08:18
"possibly impossible"
Amazon are very good for prices and have the advantage of having user comments on most of their goods so you can tell other people's opinions of the cameras.

I'd personally go with the Sony or Fuji branded cameras, looking at a W50 or S600 myself in the next few months.

Though I'd say save up another £20 or so and get the W70.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.