GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Internet dropping *every* morning"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/01/07 at 20:57
Regular
Hi,

For the past at least 2 months, my internet connection has dropped each and every day at approximately the same time (5:30am)- give or take a few minutes. My wireless LAN still remains active. Prior to this, I've had no problems whatsoever.

There are no power surges in the building which affect my router.

A 'right-click' repair from systray - does not bring the connection back. A remote router login and reboot does reset the internet connection.

I have unplugged the router power, formatted my hard disk, and performed a factory reset of the router. Nothing resolves the issue.

I have a Netgear DG834GT wireless router.

Is it:

My router
BT
Freeola or
Backbone

Please advise.

Neil
Mon 19/02/07 at 14:59
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
PeeJayEph wrote:
> Just a quick "Bump" to make sure this does not slip too
> far down the list :)

Don't you worry, this is being chased by myself with our wholesalers on a daily basis.
Mon 19/02/07 at 11:37
Regular
Just a quick "Bump" to make sure this does not slip too far down the list :)
Mon 12/02/07 at 20:14
Regular
"beans are great..."
First, I should make it clear that we were not with Freeola, but another ISP.

We had this dropped connection problem too - most days we had to hard re-boot our ADSL router (also Netgear, but an earlier wired model than yours). (Our first Netgear router died on us after about 18 months, so I was not filled with confidnece with Netgear products, though I have a wireless one at home and it's fine).

I originally suspected the router, but it may have been the exchange as we only started to experience the problem when we moved to a new building (on a different exchange). Now we are with BT as we switched to the BT Micro product - combined ADSL router and VoIP phone system. It has been a nightmare to install and configure (still not right after 6 months and does not apparently do what we bought it for), but we no longer get dropped internet connections.

I do remember a lot of problems with dropped connections when I first had BB at home (using a wireless router). First we had BT come and rewire the ADSL and master socket in the house (which they did FoC - think I was quite lucky there!) This helped a little, but was still dropping.

Then I remember my ISP asking me to log onto my Netgear router config screen and go to the Maintenance section and choose "Router Status". Scroll to the bottom of that page and click on the button "Show Statistics" - it pops up a window that shows connection speed, line attenuation and noise margin (upstream and downstream) - while those figures don't mean much to me, they obviously did to my ISP and he got the BB provider to make some adjustments and after that no more dropped connections!

Good luck - I know how frustrating it can be!
Tue 06/02/07 at 15:07
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
Thank you for the information innogy, I have passed on your details to be investigated along with the other accounts.

I have had this esculated within our management, and within our wholesalers, so hopefully we will learn something soon.

Again sorry for any inconvenience and disruptions this may be causing you all.
Fri 02/02/07 at 07:37
Regular
"Older but no wiser"
Yes I too have this problem, which I reported to Freeola months ago. Here is a bit more information.

I have a USR 9016 wireless router. The problem started about 3 months ago after years of flawless service.

Initially as there was network upgrade work on the Entanet system, planned to finish mid December, I just waited.

This work is complete now but the problem persists.

Symptoms are that the router reports the connection as fine EXCEPT for the "Ping primary domain name server".

With no connection to the DNS servers (Main or fallback), you cannot use the internet. Timing is odd. Most mornings it is down, but occasionally it will last 2 or three days. There is nothing different in the house to cause the problem to appear now, so timing must be at the servce provide end not here.

Setting the domain servers manually to an IP address rather than letting them get set automatically has no effect, so the problem must be at the ROUTING level. Routing tables maintained by Entanet and/or BT may be the problem. If the initial connection discoveres and caches a route to the DNS server, and subsequently this is lost (perhaps some network outage or server
backup as these typically occur overnight) it may be that the rerouting and reconnection is failing.

One suggestion from Freeola support was to connect to BT using a different username and password, and then revert to my Freeola one. No joy. Also the standard "turn off adsl modem for 15 minutes" while fixing the problem that day does nothing to resolve the failure next day.

Annoying now that this has been continuing for 3 months.

Andrew
Wed 24/01/07 at 14:17
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
Hello,

This is certainly an issue that we are aware of, however it is only effecting a very limited amount of our customers which makes it harder to pinpoint. We have already had this reported to our whole salers for further investigation on their end, as numerous BT tests on a selection of accounts with this same problem, have resulted in no answer to this fault.

I have been advised that this issue has been passed down to their systems department, unfortunately though I am still waiting for their feedback. When I hear back on this I should be able to update you further.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
Wed 24/01/07 at 12:10
"Are you sure?"
No doubt Freeola will be able to give you better advice, but I thought I would have a try...

If the timing is approx. the same then it does sound like it could be an external problem.
For example what time does your central heating turn on? You say there are no power surges in the building - but this can sometimes be hard to locate. ADSL can be sensitive to all sorts of things. Obviously if it's an external problem then can you find if others (neighbours) connected to the same exchange are seeing the same issue?

What do the router logs show?

If your LAN is unaffected - 'right-clicking and repairing' won't help. While connected to the router, try disconnecting and then reconnecting using the s/w interface rather than re-booting.

Are you able to borrow a spare router to see if this also has the same problem?

All for now, hope it helps...
Tue 23/01/07 at 20:57
Regular
Hi,

For the past at least 2 months, my internet connection has dropped each and every day at approximately the same time (5:30am)- give or take a few minutes. My wireless LAN still remains active. Prior to this, I've had no problems whatsoever.

There are no power surges in the building which affect my router.

A 'right-click' repair from systray - does not bring the connection back. A remote router login and reboot does reset the internet connection.

I have unplugged the router power, formatted my hard disk, and performed a factory reset of the router. Nothing resolves the issue.

I have a Netgear DG834GT wireless router.

Is it:

My router
BT
Freeola or
Backbone

Please advise.

Neil

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.