GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"UK boffins to build 'new' internet"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/07/01 at 18:01
Regular
I know I only seem to use this forum for cuting and pasting news articles... But this is entertaining... honest :)

'The UK government's e-science programme has just given birth to one reasonably ambitious project: a better version of the internet.

Eight universities will be at the heart of a network to help scientists rise above the inadequacies of the world wide web as a medium for exchanging information.

The eight regional centres will be based at universities in Belfast, Cambridge, Cardiff, Londons Imperial College, Manchester, Newcastle, Oxford and Southampton.

A spokesman for Southampton University said the network is being designed to make sharing information and resources across disciplines and across continents faster and easier than anyone previously thought possible within a global information system.'
Thu 02/08/01 at 17:37
With just 8 Univertaties connected, are they just not designing a high speed WAN????????????????????????????
Thu 02/08/01 at 14:44
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Andrew Hunt wrote:
> Maybe they are trialing IPv6

lol... aye, sounds about right :)
Tue 31/07/01 at 10:17
Regular
Maybe they are trialing IPv6
Tue 31/07/01 at 03:18
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
This basically means they are going to either:

a) Invent a new compression standard over phone lines

b) Re-invent the modem

c) Try to raise the phone line data transfer speed

or

d) Badger BT and Telewest to get their *ahems* in gear and install broadband everywhere.
Mon 30/07/01 at 18:01
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I know I only seem to use this forum for cuting and pasting news articles... But this is entertaining... honest :)

'The UK government's e-science programme has just given birth to one reasonably ambitious project: a better version of the internet.

Eight universities will be at the heart of a network to help scientists rise above the inadequacies of the world wide web as a medium for exchanging information.

The eight regional centres will be based at universities in Belfast, Cambridge, Cardiff, Londons Imperial College, Manchester, Newcastle, Oxford and Southampton.

A spokesman for Southampton University said the network is being designed to make sharing information and resources across disciplines and across continents faster and easier than anyone previously thought possible within a global information system.'

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.