GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GUIDE]Runescape - Merchanting for Dummies"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'RuneScape'.
Tue 19/01/10 at 17:49
Regular
"How Ironic"
Recently, I logged onto my old account. I started with 800k. Within the past week, I've managed to push it up to nearly 6 million.

So how did i acquire that much money within a short time? Well, the simple answer is merchanting, the art of buying low and selling high, the aim being to make an overall profit.

On Runescape, in the past, it's been difficult to merchant quickly, it took awhile to move items along and accquire new ones. The Grand Exchange in my opinion has made merchanting far too easy, but most don't take advantage of the moneymaking opportunity. I've heard of lots of people 'playing' the Grand Exchange, making loads of money within a day. These people use the graphs supplied by Jagex to watch the rise and fall of items. In my opinion, that's getting far too serious about a game.

The way I thought about it was that some items are desired more than others. If you asked someone what there top items would be if they could have them, you'd have a list of mega weapons and super armour. Take that a step further. How do people gather money to get these items? They use the many natural resources.

Think about it, the majority of items come from a natural location. Armour comes from mines. Bows come from trees. Runes come from Rune Essence. So by bulk purchasing these natural resources, we can take advantage of the demand of these items and make a profit from them.

Now this requires abit of time, and quite abit of money to start this off. You're looking at at least 100k to start this moneymaking process. My personal favourite items to purchase are Nature Runes. They can be bought for 240gp. Once you've bulked purchase nats (currently, I'm buying 23,000), you can sell them the next day, or later on in the same day for 250gp. That's 10gp per Nature Rune. Times that by 23,000, and I've made a hefty 230k profit within the space of 12 hours, and even better, i had no work to do. Yes, you could argue that you'd make more money cutting yews for 12 hours, but for somebody like me who goes to college during the day, i can put a bid in at the morning, come back to my Nature Runes, sell them for 250gp each at night, and come morning, i'll have an extra load of money.

The best thing about merchanting is that the more money that you invest, the greater the profit you'll recieve. The amount of the item you buy becomes the multiplier. Look at it as a simple equation.

Number of Item x Difference between buying and selling price = Amount of profit

You're hardly going to be able to increase the selling price or decrease the buying price, so the best way is to increase how much you buy.

I myself have stuck with nature runes, as i have a nice system going now. On top of selling yew logs, I get a nice bonus everyday, for doing absolutely nothing. Dream come true.
Thu 21/01/10 at 20:15
Regular
"How Ironic"
Haha i'll admit, it has somewhat sucked me again. I'm hoping to keep it more as a boredom distraction, rather than spending 6 hours a night on it like when i was 13 :P
Wed 20/01/10 at 17:54
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Ha, it's sucked you in again then I take it?

If I had anything in the bank, even with today's interest rates I'd be a multi-billionaire in the game. I only put 1gp in. That's how long I've been away from the game!
Wed 20/01/10 at 16:46
Regular
"How Ironic"
Lol ty HM. I stopped playing it for years, but started looking at it again about a week or so ago. Blew my profits on some armour and a weapon
Wed 20/01/10 at 13:41
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Haha...you've pretty much explained the stock market in game terms :)

Well written Chris and although it's been years such I touched Runescape (although if I got hooked now that would be it...) if you've got that working for you - brilliant!

If I start up a game, I shall copy your method :)
Tue 19/01/10 at 17:49
Regular
"How Ironic"
Recently, I logged onto my old account. I started with 800k. Within the past week, I've managed to push it up to nearly 6 million.

So how did i acquire that much money within a short time? Well, the simple answer is merchanting, the art of buying low and selling high, the aim being to make an overall profit.

On Runescape, in the past, it's been difficult to merchant quickly, it took awhile to move items along and accquire new ones. The Grand Exchange in my opinion has made merchanting far too easy, but most don't take advantage of the moneymaking opportunity. I've heard of lots of people 'playing' the Grand Exchange, making loads of money within a day. These people use the graphs supplied by Jagex to watch the rise and fall of items. In my opinion, that's getting far too serious about a game.

The way I thought about it was that some items are desired more than others. If you asked someone what there top items would be if they could have them, you'd have a list of mega weapons and super armour. Take that a step further. How do people gather money to get these items? They use the many natural resources.

Think about it, the majority of items come from a natural location. Armour comes from mines. Bows come from trees. Runes come from Rune Essence. So by bulk purchasing these natural resources, we can take advantage of the demand of these items and make a profit from them.

Now this requires abit of time, and quite abit of money to start this off. You're looking at at least 100k to start this moneymaking process. My personal favourite items to purchase are Nature Runes. They can be bought for 240gp. Once you've bulked purchase nats (currently, I'm buying 23,000), you can sell them the next day, or later on in the same day for 250gp. That's 10gp per Nature Rune. Times that by 23,000, and I've made a hefty 230k profit within the space of 12 hours, and even better, i had no work to do. Yes, you could argue that you'd make more money cutting yews for 12 hours, but for somebody like me who goes to college during the day, i can put a bid in at the morning, come back to my Nature Runes, sell them for 250gp each at night, and come morning, i'll have an extra load of money.

The best thing about merchanting is that the more money that you invest, the greater the profit you'll recieve. The amount of the item you buy becomes the multiplier. Look at it as a simple equation.

Number of Item x Difference between buying and selling price = Amount of profit

You're hardly going to be able to increase the selling price or decrease the buying price, so the best way is to increase how much you buy.

I myself have stuck with nature runes, as i have a nice system going now. On top of selling yew logs, I get a nice bonus everyday, for doing absolutely nothing. Dream come true.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.