GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Internet access via Satalite"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/07/01 at 15:47
Regular
Has anyone had any experiance on internet via satalite? such as this:-

aerialview.co.uk / skyDSL.htm

I've found a few places that are offering DIY kits to get highspeed internet via a satalite dish, but speeds range from 400k to 8MB and its all seems a bit to good to be true.

Or if anyone else has any idea for high speed conections, I can't get cable or A D S L and I'm not paying for I S D N.

Cheers
Mon 30/07/01 at 15:47
Regular
"Tag as above"
Has anyone had any experiance on internet via satalite? such as this:-

aerialview.co.uk / skyDSL.htm

I've found a few places that are offering DIY kits to get highspeed internet via a satalite dish, but speeds range from 400k to 8MB and its all seems a bit to good to be true.

Or if anyone else has any idea for high speed conections, I can't get cable or A D S L and I'm not paying for I S D N.

Cheers
Mon 30/07/01 at 15:49
Regular
My mate has interent through a satellite dish.

He says download speeds are good, but the LAG is terrible.

Becuase the signal has to go all the way up to space and back, it takes a lot longer so it's useless for online gaming.

For donwloading it sounds perfect, not sure of the price though...
Mon 30/07/01 at 15:54
Regular
"Tag as above"
Cheers, If you speek to your mate, find out who it was through. I'll be everso gratefull.
Mon 30/07/01 at 16:21
Regular
K, I'll see what I can do.

He's in Leicester and I'm Surrey so it may take a couple of days....
Mon 30/07/01 at 16:25
Regular
"Tag as above"
Wow that is bad lag.

jk
Mon 30/07/01 at 16:26
Regular
You fool! :-)

I'll have to phone him, not sure when though...
Mon 30/07/01 at 19:41
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Heh, it is a bit too good to be true...

Seing as you can't actually beam signals back up to the satellite, you can get some great download speeds, but you have to use a normal modem to upload data - that's 8mbit (or less) downstream, 33.6kbits upstream...

There is no way around this, you have to have another way of sending data, be it ISDN, dial-up, whatever. This often means you end up paying 2 bills, and speed for anything but downloading files isn't much better than normal.
Tue 31/07/01 at 10:11
Regular
You could get the 293 mb pipe satalite that cambridge uni used to use. It cost a fortune as it can send and recieve data.
Tue 31/07/01 at 12:04
Regular
"Tag as above"
Looks like I would be better off just waiting for BT or NTL to pull their fingers out and get some broardband near me. :-(
Tue 31/07/01 at 16:01
Regular
I've just read that BT are looking into an afordable two way satalite broadband link but it's going to be about 18 months.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.