GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Password protection - help needed"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/01/07 at 12:02
Regular
Hi, I need to add password protection to a folder.

I've been told by support that they cannot do this and I cannot do this from the control panel. So, I'm trying the .htaccess method.

I've put the following code in the .htaccess file:

AuthUserFile /.htpasswd
AuthName "Enter Password"
AuthType Basic

require valid-user

(the password file is at the root of my directory) and its just not working. Support say its nothing to do with their server settings. Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong? I've followed all the instructions exactly.

I've even tried the complete path /freeola/users/ / /username etc for the password file. Can anyone out there advise me on this, or have you managed to do this?
Tue 23/01/07 at 14:28
Regular
Hi, yes sorry. I think I was typing the reply to Dan when you answered.

Yes that was really useful thank you. I've got it working now - that's great!
Tue 23/01/07 at 13:55
"Are you sure?"
Ros wrote:
> I think the problem lies with the AuthUserFile absolute path.

That what I said ;¬)
Did you see my post below?
I think I posted while you were writing...
Tue 23/01/07 at 13:16
Regular
Hi Dan, thanks for answering.

I've tried the attached program, and it still doesn't work.

I think the problem lies with the AuthUserFile absolute path.

AuthName "Restricted Area"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /freeola.users////.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
require valid-user

The advice your linked web page give is:
if you're on a Linux server and have access to telnet/ssh, simply login and type the command "pwd." This will output your current absolute path, giving you enough information to construct the rest. Or simply ask your web host for this information.

The problem is I can't get telnet or SSH access to my web space and telephone support won't advise me on this. They just think its not supported. Also they won't give me an absolute path and just tell me to look at their web pages. From the web pages I think the absolute path should be:

/freeola.users/last digit of username/last but one digit/username/

Do you think this is correct?
Tue 23/01/07 at 13:14
"Are you sure?"
Try changing your AuthUserFile path.

This works for me:

AuthUserFile /freeola/users/weblinks/www.domain.com/stuff/pwds/.htpasswd

'stuff' is the directory I'm protecting. Strictly speaking I know the .htpasswd should not be in a location that's web accessible, but as the pwds directory in my example is below the protected 'stuff' directory it seems safe to me. i.e. It can't be reached even if someone did know/guess the address.

I would guess creating a directory outside of your htdocs would also work.

Careful while you're testing as it's quite easy to break things! ;¬)
Tue 23/01/07 at 12:37
Regular
"1 up on the DEVIL"
Hi Ros,

I have not tried this but aim to do so.

There is an automatic: tool to generate all the necessary codes needed to password protect a directory or selects files within it on your site via .htaccess. It encrypts the desired passwords, then outputs the corresponding codes to put inside your .htaccess and .htpasswd files

It's at:
Link to dynamicdrive

Hope this helps
Dan
Tue 23/01/07 at 12:02
Regular
Hi, I need to add password protection to a folder.

I've been told by support that they cannot do this and I cannot do this from the control panel. So, I'm trying the .htaccess method.

I've put the following code in the .htaccess file:

AuthUserFile /.htpasswd
AuthName "Enter Password"
AuthType Basic

require valid-user

(the password file is at the root of my directory) and its just not working. Support say its nothing to do with their server settings. Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong? I've followed all the instructions exactly.

I've even tried the complete path /freeola/users/ / /username etc for the password file. Can anyone out there advise me on this, or have you managed to do this?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.