GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wario Ware Smooth Moves (Wii)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'WarioWare: Smooth Moves'.
Mon 22/01/07 at 22:10
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
So it’s a brand new year and a brand new Wii game. Nintendo have released the forth edition of Wario Ware still trying to push forward their idea of games getting the whole family involved. And I have to agree that this game really does get everyone involved.

Wario Ware has always been about micro game after micro game being thrown at you that used to involve the A button and D-pad on the Gameboy or the touch screen on the DS. Now the Wii has introduced a new way to play it only seemed wise to bring Wario back for one more spin. This time however the variations in the game are extraordinary making full use of the Wii’s potential.

Handlebar, umbrella and Mohawk are just a handful of the ways in which you are told to handle the remote. There are so many great examples it’s hard to only say a few but here are the best ones:

Holding the remote above your head and squatting.
Holding the remote at your side and moving your hips around in order to keep a hula hoop up.
Moving the remote up and down in order to pump up a balloon.

You see while you don’t have to make these actual movements and could just sit there moving the control (the control only measures the movement not where your body is or how your doing it) it would ruin the game if you did. Unbelievably every micro game feels like your actually doing what you’re told with the console recording your movements really well. There is the odd game where you forget that you still need to aim at the bar but out of 200 5 or six isn’t bad.

Wario is one day eating food only to have it stolen from his grasps. He chases the culprit into a temple and comes across a new baton. Weird. He is then chased out of the temple Indiana Jones style with a giant bolder threatening to crush him. Enter the first selection of mini games. That is how the game starts off and while there is not really one main story as such but rather a gathering of eight or nine separate ones. You will come across 9-Volt who has his Game and Watch broken by his friend who then tries to buy him another at the local shop or Jimmy who comes across a bunch of kittens who follow him in what can only be described as the weirdest dance moves seen. The little stories are there to piece everything together and that’s what they do. While you may watch them and think “What the hell?” others may admire the game for it’s quirky videos.

The single player is a very short affair when it comes to seeing everything Wario Ware has to offer. You will find just over ten collections of mini games each with around twenty or so different micro-games. Every time you reach the next collection you’ll be introduced to two or three new ways of holding the remote. And that is pretty much how the main game works. It will probably last you about two hours to get through it all but there are other things to do. Firstly there’s the incentive to get high scores and with the multiple profiles you can keep on the game it can get quite competitive for getting into the top three chart. Then there’s unlocking every single mini game in the game and also getting every “pose card.” Finally there are a few mini games thrown in like shooting cans and also balancing blocks on your hand. They are a nice distraction for a while and again competing is very fun.

Now one thing that has disappointed many gamers is the multiplayer side of things. While it is a kick in the gut to not have very much simultaneous play at all that doesn’t mean to say that the multiplayer is a total bust. There are many games to be tried and while some are worse than others the ones that stand out can get really fun. For one the simple elimination style mode where you pass it on every time you complete a mini game is one of the best multiplayer experiences on the Wii yet. Just last Saturday myself and eight friends played this mode and couldn’t stop laughing even when we were just watching. Another mode had us playing a micro game and on completing it, then choosing the way in which the next player would hold the remote. One more game had one person playing a micro game while the others automatically pumped up a balloon. Whoever it exploded on would lose. A few more little games like darts (which is much better than the Monkey Ball version) and a racing game round off what is a great multiplayer package.

The game looks cool with it retaining its basic random graphics but also adding some new stuff too. For one you’ll find some Gamecube games in here too using full 3D. While some will complain they suck, it’s the style that shines and you should be focusing on that rather than just how detailed it is as that isn’t what the game is about.

So Wario Ware sounds really good so far but is there anything really hindering it? Well there are a few things. Firstly and obviously leaving out simultaneous play was a big mistake and yes what we have is good but it isn’t as good as it could be. While this game is great fun, it feels a little too easy compared to other Warios which is a shame. While the reason it’s easier could be to make it more accessible for the whole family, it still sucks for the more hardcore of gamers. There is also the little sensor bar issues, but those aren’t going to detract the fun from the game.

Wario Ware in my opinion is the greatest experience I’ve had on the Wii yet and certainly one of the best multiplayer experiences in a while. It truly shows what the Wii is capable of. While I’d only advise getting it for its £35 asking price if you’re going to use it with others believe me when I say it’d be worth every penny when your sitting watching one of your eleven friends jumping up and down with the remote at their side.

9/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 22/01/07 at 22:10
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
So it’s a brand new year and a brand new Wii game. Nintendo have released the forth edition of Wario Ware still trying to push forward their idea of games getting the whole family involved. And I have to agree that this game really does get everyone involved.

Wario Ware has always been about micro game after micro game being thrown at you that used to involve the A button and D-pad on the Gameboy or the touch screen on the DS. Now the Wii has introduced a new way to play it only seemed wise to bring Wario back for one more spin. This time however the variations in the game are extraordinary making full use of the Wii’s potential.

Handlebar, umbrella and Mohawk are just a handful of the ways in which you are told to handle the remote. There are so many great examples it’s hard to only say a few but here are the best ones:

Holding the remote above your head and squatting.
Holding the remote at your side and moving your hips around in order to keep a hula hoop up.
Moving the remote up and down in order to pump up a balloon.

You see while you don’t have to make these actual movements and could just sit there moving the control (the control only measures the movement not where your body is or how your doing it) it would ruin the game if you did. Unbelievably every micro game feels like your actually doing what you’re told with the console recording your movements really well. There is the odd game where you forget that you still need to aim at the bar but out of 200 5 or six isn’t bad.

Wario is one day eating food only to have it stolen from his grasps. He chases the culprit into a temple and comes across a new baton. Weird. He is then chased out of the temple Indiana Jones style with a giant bolder threatening to crush him. Enter the first selection of mini games. That is how the game starts off and while there is not really one main story as such but rather a gathering of eight or nine separate ones. You will come across 9-Volt who has his Game and Watch broken by his friend who then tries to buy him another at the local shop or Jimmy who comes across a bunch of kittens who follow him in what can only be described as the weirdest dance moves seen. The little stories are there to piece everything together and that’s what they do. While you may watch them and think “What the hell?” others may admire the game for it’s quirky videos.

The single player is a very short affair when it comes to seeing everything Wario Ware has to offer. You will find just over ten collections of mini games each with around twenty or so different micro-games. Every time you reach the next collection you’ll be introduced to two or three new ways of holding the remote. And that is pretty much how the main game works. It will probably last you about two hours to get through it all but there are other things to do. Firstly there’s the incentive to get high scores and with the multiple profiles you can keep on the game it can get quite competitive for getting into the top three chart. Then there’s unlocking every single mini game in the game and also getting every “pose card.” Finally there are a few mini games thrown in like shooting cans and also balancing blocks on your hand. They are a nice distraction for a while and again competing is very fun.

Now one thing that has disappointed many gamers is the multiplayer side of things. While it is a kick in the gut to not have very much simultaneous play at all that doesn’t mean to say that the multiplayer is a total bust. There are many games to be tried and while some are worse than others the ones that stand out can get really fun. For one the simple elimination style mode where you pass it on every time you complete a mini game is one of the best multiplayer experiences on the Wii yet. Just last Saturday myself and eight friends played this mode and couldn’t stop laughing even when we were just watching. Another mode had us playing a micro game and on completing it, then choosing the way in which the next player would hold the remote. One more game had one person playing a micro game while the others automatically pumped up a balloon. Whoever it exploded on would lose. A few more little games like darts (which is much better than the Monkey Ball version) and a racing game round off what is a great multiplayer package.

The game looks cool with it retaining its basic random graphics but also adding some new stuff too. For one you’ll find some Gamecube games in here too using full 3D. While some will complain they suck, it’s the style that shines and you should be focusing on that rather than just how detailed it is as that isn’t what the game is about.

So Wario Ware sounds really good so far but is there anything really hindering it? Well there are a few things. Firstly and obviously leaving out simultaneous play was a big mistake and yes what we have is good but it isn’t as good as it could be. While this game is great fun, it feels a little too easy compared to other Warios which is a shame. While the reason it’s easier could be to make it more accessible for the whole family, it still sucks for the more hardcore of gamers. There is also the little sensor bar issues, but those aren’t going to detract the fun from the game.

Wario Ware in my opinion is the greatest experience I’ve had on the Wii yet and certainly one of the best multiplayer experiences in a while. It truly shows what the Wii is capable of. While I’d only advise getting it for its £35 asking price if you’re going to use it with others believe me when I say it’d be worth every penny when your sitting watching one of your eleven friends jumping up and down with the remote at their side.

9/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.