GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bomberman Ultra (PSN and XBLA)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Bomberman Ultra'.
Wed 13/01/10 at 13:05
"possibly impossible"
I started my love affair with Bomberman on the Spectrum, but it was really the SNES and the multi-tap 4 player enabled Super Bomberman games that first got me really excited about the series.

Playing against three other players in the room and watching the mad rush as everyone tried to blow each other up was one of the best gaming experiences on the SNES.

The good news is that Bomberman Ultra on PSN (and Bomberman: Live on XBLA as the versions are very nearly identical from what I’ve played of the 360 demo) hasn’t decided to change the formula that made the SNES versions so good, they’ve just added to it.

Bomberman Ultra is the latest in a long line of Bomberman games. The basic idea is to run around a maze of blocks and be the last one standing. Blocks can be blown up to reveal extra bombs (you start out with just one), longer explosions and all sorts of upgrades. Getting caught in the line of fire means instant death.

Even if this was the only mode here with just the 14 maps on offer it would still be worth downloading the game, but Hudsonsoft has added plenty more to sink your exploding teeth into. Characters can be designed with parts won from the main single player game, including pirate legs, bows and even tutus!

There are 6 game modes on offer, from the original to Zombie, where you can’t die but need to be controlling the map, the excellent Ghost Trap where doors open under your feet and the Paint mode where you need to paint as much of the game map as possible by blowing it up before the timer runs out.

Graphically it’s no real surprise that this looks like the SNES game, but with an HD polish and nicer animation. But then you never expected huge 3D explosions did you? It pretty much sounds like the SNES game as well, with 16-bit-esque catchy tunes that go perfectly with the retro feel of the game.

It may seem cheeky to come up with an age old game on a new system and keep it the same, but the fact remains that Bomberman Ultra is a game you can keep coming back to time and time again.

All of this and 4 players on one console, bringing back the Halcyon days of the SNES. But Ultra even trumps this, allowing you to go online against 4 players on another console: 8 player Bomberman Ultra is just madness, incredibly fun madness.

10/10
Thu 14/01/10 at 09:51
Regular
"I like turtles"
I've got Bomberman Live,it's fantastic.Speaking of 4 player local multiplayer games another game I loved was Mashed.Doubt it will ever get a re-release/revamp as I think the company that made it went bust.Anyway,sorry to go off topic for a second there and a nice review pb.
Thu 14/01/10 at 09:34
"possibly impossible"
That will be the same game, it's called Bomberman Live on the XBLA.

Bomberman Live: Battlefest is the next game on all 3 formats (Wii, PS3 and 360) which adds even more modes etc, but if you have the older one it's just as good.
Thu 14/01/10 at 08:51
Regular
"THFC"
I downloaded the first Bomberman on XBLA - by the time i had it there were no people online, but what i did play i really enjoyed.

Good review pb
Wed 13/01/10 at 20:47
Regular
"How Ironic"
Bomberman is such a brilliant game. Summed it up in a brill review pb :)
Wed 13/01/10 at 13:05
"possibly impossible"
I started my love affair with Bomberman on the Spectrum, but it was really the SNES and the multi-tap 4 player enabled Super Bomberman games that first got me really excited about the series.

Playing against three other players in the room and watching the mad rush as everyone tried to blow each other up was one of the best gaming experiences on the SNES.

The good news is that Bomberman Ultra on PSN (and Bomberman: Live on XBLA as the versions are very nearly identical from what I’ve played of the 360 demo) hasn’t decided to change the formula that made the SNES versions so good, they’ve just added to it.

Bomberman Ultra is the latest in a long line of Bomberman games. The basic idea is to run around a maze of blocks and be the last one standing. Blocks can be blown up to reveal extra bombs (you start out with just one), longer explosions and all sorts of upgrades. Getting caught in the line of fire means instant death.

Even if this was the only mode here with just the 14 maps on offer it would still be worth downloading the game, but Hudsonsoft has added plenty more to sink your exploding teeth into. Characters can be designed with parts won from the main single player game, including pirate legs, bows and even tutus!

There are 6 game modes on offer, from the original to Zombie, where you can’t die but need to be controlling the map, the excellent Ghost Trap where doors open under your feet and the Paint mode where you need to paint as much of the game map as possible by blowing it up before the timer runs out.

Graphically it’s no real surprise that this looks like the SNES game, but with an HD polish and nicer animation. But then you never expected huge 3D explosions did you? It pretty much sounds like the SNES game as well, with 16-bit-esque catchy tunes that go perfectly with the retro feel of the game.

It may seem cheeky to come up with an age old game on a new system and keep it the same, but the fact remains that Bomberman Ultra is a game you can keep coming back to time and time again.

All of this and 4 players on one console, bringing back the Halcyon days of the SNES. But Ultra even trumps this, allowing you to go online against 4 players on another console: 8 player Bomberman Ultra is just madness, incredibly fun madness.

10/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.