GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"WHY WHY WHY DID UKREVIEWS DO THIS TO ME!?!?!?!?!?!?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 28/07/01 at 21:16
Regular
Hey people!

I just spent ages (yes, AGES) on a review so I could post it on UKReviews today. It's about Mario Kart for the N64, and I just came online to post it when OH NO...

"Archived review of older product (no longer available)"

...meaning I cannot post the review now! Well, if you read this and you often write reviews, I just wanted to warn you...ALWAYS CHECK IF YOU CAN POST!!!

I did not do this, as I am a damn fool...but FINE!!! If I can't post it on there, I'll post it here! You don't have to read it if you don't want, I just want it on one of the sites!

P.S. I am not annoyed...much!!

Anyway...my review....

Mario Kart 64

Since his birth in 1981, Mario, the famous short plumber (previously a carpenter) has starred in over seventy Nintendo games, appeared on several different formats and encountered over three hundred enemies. Impressively, he has featured in games of various genres, ranging from golf and tennis numbers to cute little platformers. Another of these entertaining and crazy games is Mario Kart 64, the wacky driver for the N64.

Along to play with and against Mario are seven of his best pals, Luigi, Toad, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Wario and Bowser. Each of the racers sport various strengths and suffer from different weaknesses. Small, light characters such as Toad and Yoshi are quick and agile, whilst larger characters such as Bowser are slow and often difficult to control, but when reaching high speeds, they can fearlessly drive, flattening anyone in their path.

The graphics are fun and cartoon-like, consisting of smooth 3D images with great backgrounds and racing courses. Bursting with bright colours while accompanied by top tunes, the game is exciting, up-beat and enjoyable to play. As the chunky racers zip around the fantastically detailed tracks, they spout their hilarious individual phrases, such as Mario’s “Lets-a-go” and Toads shriek. This gives the game personality, resulting in tremendous fun!

There are sixteen tracks to race on, each packed with secret routes, shortcuts, weapons and traps to collect and fire. In the game, shells are used to shoot at unexpecting racers, whilst bombs and bananas are used as traps. Mushrooms can also be found which give a quick boost of turbo speed. Scenery is bright and looks great, for example, the fat cows in ‘Moo Moo Farm’.

Up to four players can battle it out against each other as they attempt to reach the finish line. Multiplayer in this game is marvellous. Fantastically tense weapon fights kick back and forth throughout races as drivers skid and slide along the way. The characters’ individual driving styles mean everybody has a favourite. After much play, you’ll find yourself mastering sharp corners and firing weapons like an expert.

In the Mario GP mode, there are four cups to win as prizes for beating the other players who mainly consist of computer racers. When attempting to win a cup, you are required to race through four courses gaining a respectable number of points in each. Great determination and dedication is needed to complete the mode.

Computer driven racers fight dirty and cheat. Suspiciously, they always manage to pick up top weapons, targeting opponents perfectly, and on occasions, you may be speeding miles ahead of one and then find them on your tail just seconds later. Although unrealistic, this adds a vital aspect for a game to possess; Challenge.

A nice addition appearing on Mario Kart is the battle mode, in which two to four players use weapons and traps, on a mission to hunt down the other drivers, kicking 3D cartoon butt and creating havoc. Each player begins with three balloons strapped to their car, with one balloon bursting every time they are hit with an opponent’s shell or when stumbling on a trap. The winner is the only racer to be left with at least one balloon. A choice of four arenas is available, each with unique qualities and differences. Unfortunately, one of these is surprisingly dull, but the others are simply amazing.

These many extras are included in the game to satisfy all who play. Another addition, somewhat unknown to many owners is that when all modes are completed, a choice to use reversed tracks is available, meaning you will have to learn the quick, sharp turns of the sixteen courses once again.

Mario Kart 64 is a fantastic game with a lastability of several years. This is mainly due to the multiplayer modes, as they are hilarious, hectic, and the massive thrills never become a bore. Mario has featured in some of the most popular Nintendo games ever created through the years, but this is one of the most entertaining. The fun never dies!

Thanks for reading...if you did, and I don't mind you posting comments about how much of a DAMN FOOL I've been...as long as the comments aren't too abusive!

Byeeee
Tue 31/07/01 at 19:25
Yeah, thanks a lot Dan.
Tue 31/07/01 at 19:14
Regular
"Long Live Nintendo!"
What i don't like is the fact that now you can only write 4000 characters INCLUDING SPACES. That's not a review, that's a few paragraphs
Sun 29/07/01 at 12:18
yep I see why. I just didn't think of it before coz i'm a fool, a DAMN FOOL!!!! =O)

Nice tagline by the way.
Sun 29/07/01 at 11:08
Regular
"not dead"
You can see why SR do it though, can't you?

If you read a really good review, and want to buy the game, then they're not going to want you to then go elsewhere to buy it.

They'd rather you read reviews of products you can buy from this site, be impressed, and then buy that game from them.

Simple.
Sun 29/07/01 at 11:01
Regular
I can't even review a new Game Boy Color game I bought!

I had to buy it elsewhere as well because Special Reserve don't sell it!

I bought Pokémon Puzzle Challenge from Game and now I can't post a review of it on here!
Sun 29/07/01 at 10:42
Thanx =O)
Sun 29/07/01 at 07:45
Regular
"DS..."
Even though mario kart 64 is a classic, i reckon that mario kart super circuit will be better, does anyone else agree?
oh and good review by the way....i think?
slik !_!
Sat 28/07/01 at 21:22
Yeah, lovely.
Sat 28/07/01 at 21:21
Lol, thanx! =O)
Sat 28/07/01 at 21:20
Regular
"You've upset me"
You damn fool.

:-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.