GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why the N64 has a childish reputation."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/07/01 at 22:20
Regular
It always annoys me when someone says that "Nintendo is all crap kiddies games."

It's obvious that they're a bit dim.

One of the worst things is that they got it for a GOOD reason. They got it for making good games.

Let me explain:

The Playstation has just as many if not more childish immature games than the gamecube.

But Nintendo still has the reputation. Why?

Well, the PS ones are pretty rubbish. They're designed for kids and kids only and are more often than not cheap spin offs from TV cartoons.
There have been a couple of decent platformers say Crash or Spyro but nothing particularly special.

Nintendo's platformers on the other hand are exceptional. They're so playable, skillful, simple and fun that everyone who plays them loves them.
Because of this they get as much magazine and TV coverage as the red certificate games.

People see all these cartoony characters related to N64 and immediately think "This console is for kids. We've grown out of those sorts of games!"

In reality, Nintendo has less cartoony games than the playstation and compare a Nintendo "kiddie" game to a PS one.

The Nintendo one is more challenging, playable, skillful, fun and original.

It's not that the N64 has more cartoony games, it's just the only console where they're good enough to be noticed.
Wed 01/08/01 at 03:41
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Indian-DudeY2K wrote:
> hey er-no , how did you become a notable ?

He bribed Tony into starting a campaign for him. Now he cleans the toilets at SR and is given pre-scripted posts to boost the sales of particular games.
Sun 29/07/01 at 21:59
Regular
They'd better not make it a First Person Shooter though...
Fri 27/07/01 at 13:32
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Here's some new on Metroid Prime which I've just nabbed from my favourite Nintendo source:

Leaks from Texas-based development Studio Retro Studios allege that the company's anticipated first-person action-adventure Metroid Prime will be previewed at Space World 2001, but the game won't be playable.

Prime, unveiled for the first time at the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2001 last May in Los Angeles, was displayed only in pre-rendered full-motion video form. The Space World 2001 demo, at least, will show in real-time, say insiders.

"Metroid looked good enough to show live footage [at E3], but Nintendo chose not to use it," a company source told IGNcube. "The Space World reception will be very important to [Retro's] company morale. Nintendo has decided Metroid will not be playable there. It will show gameplay footage on video instead."

The project, which is moving along after the recent layoffs, is scheduled for a third quarter 2002 release, according to those closest to the title.

There ya go!
Fri 27/07/01 at 13:03
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
To answer your question, Indian-DudeY2K, every 3 months, a person in this forum is elected to become a notable. These are the guys that make these forums a 'special place'.
Oh, and er-no, I certainly hope that Metroid Prime is a real scary game as I haven't had one of them in a while. However, I seriously doubt that's the reason they didn't show any in-game footage at E3. Perhaps the fact that the team cancelled Raven Blade hints at the real reason? Hmmm?
Fri 27/07/01 at 07:47
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
hey er-no , how did you become a notable ?
Thu 26/07/01 at 23:05
Flashbacks of Perfect Dark in my head... oh, that's just my dream with Ms. Dark.
Thu 26/07/01 at 23:01
Regular
"everyone says it"
DeltaJava wrote:
> I'd like to believe that... no, really.

Don't believe the pants bit but he rating bit is true!!

Thats why at E3 they didn't show any ingame!
Thu 26/07/01 at 22:56
I'd like to believe that... no, really.
Thu 26/07/01 at 22:54
Regular
"everyone says it"
Metriod is already said to be a 18 rated game... before the final touches are done... its said to be a dark and horrific game that would make any gamer soill themselves!

With the game you get two free pairs of pants!
Thu 26/07/01 at 22:54
Something that the PS2 is lacking right now - where are the cutesy PS2 games? (Or rather, where are the PS2 games with more colours than just black and dark brown?)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.