GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best Of 2009"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/01/10 at 15:11
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Well that year went by quickly didn’t it? In typical end of year fashion I figured why not put together my favourite games of 2009. It was tough to choose, but I finally narrowed it down to ten. I know this isn’t technically a review, but figured this be the best place to put this post seeing as it is essentially a rundown of the best games of the year.

So without further a due I present to you to the Top 10 of 2009. (Cue dramatic drum roll)

10. Worms 2: Armageddon
The only downloadable title in this list and one that was a bargain at only 400 points. Haven’t gotten a dose of worming goodness since the original Armageddon on the Playstation but this made me feel right at home. Full of character, humour and of course the awesome weapons this is perhaps the best Worms title of the lot. Four player wars have never been so fun. Oh and the Holy Hand Grenade is in! Always a plus!

9. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
What?! Call Of Duty being this low in the list! He’s crazy! Well... no. While I did enjoy the game a great deal, it all felt far too familiar to me. The single player failed to pick up pace and the exclusion of co-op campaign is a bummer, but it is all saved thanks to an amazing online experience. If I have half hour to kill I can assure you I’ll be playing a few team death matches. Excellent if familiar game.

8. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10
Normally I’d pass on any sort of golfing game, but since the MotionPlus offered nearly one to one replicating, I felt I just needed to give it a try. And boy am I glad I did. Literally swarming with courses and customisable options this has kept me busy since I bought it way back in the Summer. The controls are the best in a golf game ever (that is a fact) and there’s just so much to and try. Best Tiger game ever? Yes. Best golfing game ever? Quite possibly.

7. Resident Evil 5
While many were disappointed with this instalment in the series, I really enjoyed it. Taking the role of Sheva and my mate as Chris we blasted our way through all six chapters constantly smiling. The action is never ending and did I mention the gorgeous surroundings you’ll find yourself in? Sure it isn’t a typical Resident Evil title favouring action over fear, but it still manages to keep you entertained throughout whether you’re defending against motorcycle riders, battling a chainsaw wielding maniac or attempting to outsmart Wesker in a grand finale. Best of all though, Mercenaries mode made its return and with two player online co-op for that, it was hard to tear myself away.

6. Pikmin 2
Okay so technically this isn’t a new game, but the adding of Wii controls not only made it much easier to sort out your Pikmin, but showed that a brand new third in the series is a must. The story mode is long and full of secrets and with thirty additional challenges to try out with a friend this is one of my favourite Gamecube games ever and one of my top Wii titles too. If a game that’s over five years old can be re-released on a next generation console and still stand toe to toe with the competition, you know it’s good.

5. Metroid Prime Trilogy
In terms of value this is unbeaten. Not one or two but three AAA titles on one disc! The first game is seen as one of the best games of all time and while the second is viewed as the weakest of the series, I feel the added difficulty and dark elements make it perhaps the best of the three. The final is a perfect love letter to fans of Metroid complete with action, scanning and awesome new weapons. Anyone with a Wii who hasn’t tried a Metroid Prime game before needs to buy this. You won’t regret it.

4. Left 4 Dead 2
The controversial “this game should never have been released so close to the original” title. If EA can do it, why not Valve? While some may see this as a small update, look closer and you’ll see it’s a lot more. The tweaks and additions not only make for a tougher experience, but a more fun one. But don’t worry the same old addictive team-work focused play is here intact and hands down this is THE best online game you’ll find out there. Fighting through waves of zombies in carnivals, malls, rain storms and graveyards has never been so much fun. Get three friends and start taking down those zombies!

3. The BIGS 2
This game literally came out of nowhere. After trying a brief demo on Xbox Live I knew I just had to buy this. The arcadey feel of the game made it so if you had no idea about the sport of baseball itself then it wouldn’t matter. The quick pace of the game is perfect if you’re on your own or playing with friends as well. Throw in mini games to catch the ball, special powered up swings and a beastly soundtrack and you have in my eyes the best sports title of the year.

2. New Super Mario Bros Wii
So close to the top spot but still winner of best Wii game of the year, New Super Mario Bros Wii brought memories flooding back of the old 2D titles on the Snes and how much I missed them. Almost a best of 2D Mario title, you can expect to find dozens of additions and references to past titles here making it enough for any fanboy to lose their mind. Whatsmore add three friends to the mix and you can take on the adventure together or competitively. Never has Mario been more manic... well unless he’s driving his kart.

1. Batman Arkham Asylum
So here it is. The best game of 2009. The Dark Knight takes the top spot thanks to an extremely involving single player that has all the right ingredients of a classic. The story is gripping, the voice acting amazing, (especially the Joker) the combat satisfying. Everything is perfect right down to the little references to past villains via riddles found throughout the game. A surprise hit that shows it isn’t just the usual suspects who can make a game of the year.

So there you have it. My favourite games of 2009. Sure some of you will agree while others will wonder where some of the other big guns are. All I can say is 2010 looks set to be another great year with titles like No More Heroes 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Bioshock 2 and more set to keep you gaming for months to come.
Sat 09/01/10 at 15:02
Regular
"How Ironic"
I'm glad you put MW2 at somewhere around 9th (maybe could go slightly higher but not much). I haven't completed the multiplayer of it, due to the fact I did the same level over and over for about 2 hours, not because I enjoyed it but because I couldn't finish it without dieing. It's the one just after 'No Russian', where you go into a village, and suddenly, everybody is shooting at you. Not sure if you're supposed to do it on your own, or my computer 'friendlies' died by accident. Multiplayer is very good, but yes, it's too similar to CoD 4. They've also added stuff which I can't stand frankly, namely Akimbo weapons and Riot Shields. There are also too many perks for my liking. Also hate the way you have to unlock perks, I say if you're level 1 and you somehow get 25 kills, surely you're entitled to a tactical nuke?! Don't worry, I'll have a review up for this aswell soon ;D
Sat 09/01/10 at 10:53
"possibly impossible"
Great post, but reckon you should have put it under one of the console sub sections so it shows up in the reviews straight away.

I think Uncharted 2 would be top of mine, with New smb Wii, Batman AA and Assassin's Creed 2 in mine.
Wed 06/01/10 at 15:11
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Well that year went by quickly didn’t it? In typical end of year fashion I figured why not put together my favourite games of 2009. It was tough to choose, but I finally narrowed it down to ten. I know this isn’t technically a review, but figured this be the best place to put this post seeing as it is essentially a rundown of the best games of the year.

So without further a due I present to you to the Top 10 of 2009. (Cue dramatic drum roll)

10. Worms 2: Armageddon
The only downloadable title in this list and one that was a bargain at only 400 points. Haven’t gotten a dose of worming goodness since the original Armageddon on the Playstation but this made me feel right at home. Full of character, humour and of course the awesome weapons this is perhaps the best Worms title of the lot. Four player wars have never been so fun. Oh and the Holy Hand Grenade is in! Always a plus!

9. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
What?! Call Of Duty being this low in the list! He’s crazy! Well... no. While I did enjoy the game a great deal, it all felt far too familiar to me. The single player failed to pick up pace and the exclusion of co-op campaign is a bummer, but it is all saved thanks to an amazing online experience. If I have half hour to kill I can assure you I’ll be playing a few team death matches. Excellent if familiar game.

8. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10
Normally I’d pass on any sort of golfing game, but since the MotionPlus offered nearly one to one replicating, I felt I just needed to give it a try. And boy am I glad I did. Literally swarming with courses and customisable options this has kept me busy since I bought it way back in the Summer. The controls are the best in a golf game ever (that is a fact) and there’s just so much to and try. Best Tiger game ever? Yes. Best golfing game ever? Quite possibly.

7. Resident Evil 5
While many were disappointed with this instalment in the series, I really enjoyed it. Taking the role of Sheva and my mate as Chris we blasted our way through all six chapters constantly smiling. The action is never ending and did I mention the gorgeous surroundings you’ll find yourself in? Sure it isn’t a typical Resident Evil title favouring action over fear, but it still manages to keep you entertained throughout whether you’re defending against motorcycle riders, battling a chainsaw wielding maniac or attempting to outsmart Wesker in a grand finale. Best of all though, Mercenaries mode made its return and with two player online co-op for that, it was hard to tear myself away.

6. Pikmin 2
Okay so technically this isn’t a new game, but the adding of Wii controls not only made it much easier to sort out your Pikmin, but showed that a brand new third in the series is a must. The story mode is long and full of secrets and with thirty additional challenges to try out with a friend this is one of my favourite Gamecube games ever and one of my top Wii titles too. If a game that’s over five years old can be re-released on a next generation console and still stand toe to toe with the competition, you know it’s good.

5. Metroid Prime Trilogy
In terms of value this is unbeaten. Not one or two but three AAA titles on one disc! The first game is seen as one of the best games of all time and while the second is viewed as the weakest of the series, I feel the added difficulty and dark elements make it perhaps the best of the three. The final is a perfect love letter to fans of Metroid complete with action, scanning and awesome new weapons. Anyone with a Wii who hasn’t tried a Metroid Prime game before needs to buy this. You won’t regret it.

4. Left 4 Dead 2
The controversial “this game should never have been released so close to the original” title. If EA can do it, why not Valve? While some may see this as a small update, look closer and you’ll see it’s a lot more. The tweaks and additions not only make for a tougher experience, but a more fun one. But don’t worry the same old addictive team-work focused play is here intact and hands down this is THE best online game you’ll find out there. Fighting through waves of zombies in carnivals, malls, rain storms and graveyards has never been so much fun. Get three friends and start taking down those zombies!

3. The BIGS 2
This game literally came out of nowhere. After trying a brief demo on Xbox Live I knew I just had to buy this. The arcadey feel of the game made it so if you had no idea about the sport of baseball itself then it wouldn’t matter. The quick pace of the game is perfect if you’re on your own or playing with friends as well. Throw in mini games to catch the ball, special powered up swings and a beastly soundtrack and you have in my eyes the best sports title of the year.

2. New Super Mario Bros Wii
So close to the top spot but still winner of best Wii game of the year, New Super Mario Bros Wii brought memories flooding back of the old 2D titles on the Snes and how much I missed them. Almost a best of 2D Mario title, you can expect to find dozens of additions and references to past titles here making it enough for any fanboy to lose their mind. Whatsmore add three friends to the mix and you can take on the adventure together or competitively. Never has Mario been more manic... well unless he’s driving his kart.

1. Batman Arkham Asylum
So here it is. The best game of 2009. The Dark Knight takes the top spot thanks to an extremely involving single player that has all the right ingredients of a classic. The story is gripping, the voice acting amazing, (especially the Joker) the combat satisfying. Everything is perfect right down to the little references to past villains via riddles found throughout the game. A surprise hit that shows it isn’t just the usual suspects who can make a game of the year.

So there you have it. My favourite games of 2009. Sure some of you will agree while others will wonder where some of the other big guns are. All I can say is 2010 looks set to be another great year with titles like No More Heroes 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Bioshock 2 and more set to keep you gaming for months to come.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.