GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SFA - Rings Around The World"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/07/01 at 12:48
Regular
After a first listen, I wasn't that impressed, it's not as good as some of their earlier work. It seems to have less of the techno influence, and a bit to much of a guitar rock album. SOme would say that Guerilla was to far the other way. Maybe it is, but they really hit the spot with Radiator.

But the magic is definately still there. Upon a further listen I'm starting to really like it. It made me smile whilst washing up, so that's definitely a good thing!

Anyone else got the album?

What do you think?
Wed 25/07/01 at 12:48
Regular
"not dead"
After a first listen, I wasn't that impressed, it's not as good as some of their earlier work. It seems to have less of the techno influence, and a bit to much of a guitar rock album. SOme would say that Guerilla was to far the other way. Maybe it is, but they really hit the spot with Radiator.

But the magic is definately still there. Upon a further listen I'm starting to really like it. It made me smile whilst washing up, so that's definitely a good thing!

Anyone else got the album?

What do you think?
Wed 25/07/01 at 13:38
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Oh dear, I think I am too similar to you people on the forum. First I share a childhood experience with er-no of having to listen to my dad's Pink Floyd CD's and now I get back from doing the washing up whilst listening to SFA's new album only to find you have done the very same thing. I like the album by the way.
Wed 25/07/01 at 14:25
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Nope... its on my list of albumns to get along with many others.

SFA rock... like me :D
Thu 26/07/01 at 11:20
I have read many different reviews on the album. Many lesser known critics gave it big boy thumbs up, but NME gave it 6/10, and said that it was miles ahead of any music out at the moment, but it wasn't as good as it could have been.

My first impression is that there wasn't as much single material as Radiator or Guerrilla. I also couldn't find the intriguing styles that were captured in Mwng.

One thing though is that Furries have still retained their beautiful melodies. Gruff knows how to do it. 'Sidewalk Surfer Girl' is strong and clever. 'Rings Around the World' reminds me of Status Quo, but is gonna be a live hit for them. The acoustic songs like 'No Sympathy', 'Recepticle for the Respecticle' and 'It's not the End of the World' are lovely, altohugh nothing groundbreaking, but nice to listen to nonetheless.

I remember an article I read now, it was about how Gruff was talking to Sony about the album and they said

Sony: 'I hope you haven't put in a stupid techno ending to one of the slow songs?'
Gruff: 'ummm, you better have a listen!'

heh.

Anyway the album is good, sounds good and is true of Furries style. Bring on October 12th in the C.I.A. for my 4th viewing of them live.

Now that is something they do very well indeed.
Thu 26/07/01 at 12:41
Regular
"Acid Casual"
I saw them in the CIA in '99 too. I was a little dissappointed to be honest. I have seen them at many venues on many occasions (9 at the last count) but I felt they didn't get it right that nite..

I know Cian had some technical problems and sonically this greatly affects SFA (esp. if yer doing the gig in surround sound!). My best experience was just before they released Radiator they did a secret gig in the Hippo club in cardiff. We waited 4 hours for them to get on stage and they blew us away. 300 people in this tiny sweaty club. It was the first live airing of The Man Dont Give a F**k too and it was blinding.
Thu 26/07/01 at 17:19
Yeah, I don't feel the Surround Sound worked as well as it could have. The Techno bit at the end, was slightly disappointing but the Jesus Christ SuperStar part in it was well wicked.

I saw them in Port Talbot for the Out Spaced tour, and it rocked. It was apparently the best gig they had ever played, and there was a sort of Intermission bit with Cian on the decks and Daf on Timpani drums. Wow.

Lets hope the next gig in October will be cool, I got my tickets today!
Fri 27/07/01 at 10:44
Regular
"not dead"
mr neil wrote:

(Drawing) Rings Around The World sounds like Status Quo.

Exactly what I thought!

I guess it's okay to sound like Status Quo once per album, it's when you've got a whole album that sounds like Status Quo that you've got to worry.

This album was much more 'string section' oriented than others, it's different, but in a good way.

I too am going to see SFA in October, but in Cambridge. Yay!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.