GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Text Based Adventures"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/07/01 at 11:57
Regular
Or Interactive Fiction as it's now called.

Anyone a fan?

I used to love text based adventures on my Acorn Electron, particularly one called Dodgy Geezers, from Melbourne House.

Anyone know the game or the software house?
Thu 01/11/01 at 13:35
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
sideshow buzz wrote:
> I have played a few, but it was difficult if you didn't have the original
> instructions.

> Also didn't have the instructions to these, but that was half of the fun
> working out what things you could type in and what affect they would have.

You generally didnt really get any instructions when the games were originally released...

Theres only so much information you can fit on the back of a tape inlay... so they usually just gave you the rough background, and let you figure out the rest yourself...

(Which is why games hwere you wake up having no knowledge of who you are and why your there were so popular :)

You generally werent told what words were accepted (though I think they started telling you in the late eighties, erly ninites?)... you always had to figure them out for themselves... thogh, I suspect this was mainly done so you wouldnt realise how limited the acutal word list was? :)
Thu 01/11/01 at 00:26
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
I have played a few, but it was difficult if you didn't have the original instructions.
I played one where you had to get a famous lady prime ministers husband through number 10 to find the alcohol stash (never finished that one kept ending up on the front pages of the national news papers in the game) that was on the spectrum.
I also found some discs for the amiga a while ago and on them there were a murder mystery, some really dodgy game, and a treasure hunt game. Also didn't have the instructions to these, but that was half of the fun working out what things you could type in and what affect they would have.
Wed 31/10/01 at 17:34
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Edgy wrote:
> There's one based on "Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy" on the net
> somewhere. Can't remember where though. It was really hard!

It was published by Infogames (people who did Zork) in the early eighties...

Douglas Admas was actually one of the games designers... it was the program that sparked his inital interest in computers (before turning to the dark side... Apples Macs!)

If you bought the original, the box came with loads of stuff, inc Sunglasses that helped you not to panic, by not allowing you to see through them (see you couldnt see anything, you wouldnt know there was anything to panic about, some scrach and sniuff cards, and some other crap I cant remember :) )

It was a top title, an Adventure classic... Though, surely, that its now considered hard doesnt reflect so well on newer gamers???
Wed 17/10/01 at 20:49
Regular
There's one based on "Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy" on the net somewhere. Can't remember where though. It was really hard!
Wed 17/10/01 at 15:50
Yes.
Some Of Them Have Interactive Picture Boxes Next To Them.
They Are Best.
Sat 18/08/01 at 17:41
Regular
"I dnt wnt a Tagline"
Ive never played a text based adventure before... are they good?
Fri 17/08/01 at 20:57
Regular
"I Feel Depressed!"
Can Anyone Remember Zork??

It Was The Only Game That Really Wided My Imagination,Al though Countless Hours Was Spent Tring To Find Many Different Was To Kill Myself! But Sometimes I Took The Game Serious And Tried And I Will Say It Again TRIED To Complete The Game, I Would Get Really Far With My Inventory List Stateing:

You Have:

Big Sword
Little Sword
Even Smaller Sword
Lead Armor
Chicken & Mushroom Flavor Pot Noodle
Tom Jones Record

Now How Someone Is Supposed To Complete The Game I Will Never Know!

But I Cant Really Imagine The Next PS2 And GameCube No1 Being A Black Screen With Little White Writting On Saying:

To The West You Have Pizza Hut
To The North You Have A Cliff 100000,00000000

And The Only Cheat For It Would Be:

At The Title Screen Rip The Disc Out Of The Mchine And Snap It Many A Time To The Time Of A SlipKnot Record!
This Cheat Will There Fore Give Your Freedom And All Your Friends Back!!

Meka_Dragon, I FILL YOUR PAIN!!
Tue 31/07/01 at 16:38
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Meka_Dragon wrote:
I used to love text based adventures on my Acorn Electron, particularly one called Dodgy Geezers, from Melbourne House.

Wasn't it Melbourne House were resposible for Way of the Exploding Fist, I can't remember any other titles by them of the top of my head.

I used to play quite a few text based adventures, a couple I can remember would be Mordors Quest and the Lord of the Rings for the CBM64.

My friend and I used to write TBA in BASIC for the CBM64 and ATARI 800XL when I was supposed to be doing something more boring instead in IT at school.
Wed 25/07/01 at 12:39
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Meka_Dragon wrote:
> Or Interactive Fiction as it's now called.

Thats the American term...

Although, its not being used to cover Leusure Suit LArry, Monkey Island type adventures as well...
Wed 25/07/01 at 11:57
Regular
"not dead"
Or Interactive Fiction as it's now called.

Anyone a fan?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.