GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Super Mario Bros for Nintendo Wii"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'New Super Mario Bros'.
Mon 28/12/09 at 20:11
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
[B][U]Super Mario Bros. Nintendo Wii[/U][/B]

I’ve always been a fan of the Mario & Sonic 2D games of yore, and even recently used my free Nintendo Wii Download to obtain Super Mario Bros. 3 for the old 8-bit Nintendo system – so when I came across the new Wii version of Mario, I knew it would be one that I’d have to own for myself.

So I borrowed a copy from a friend, and was pleased to see how the game had turned out. It’s certainly a reminder of how games in the past were, and caused all sorts of nostalgic feelings.

Plumber By Day …

Mario is once again accompanied by his half-brother Luigi (as it turns out they have different fathers), and they are alerted to the fact that the Kooper family have visited the Princess … again! Being the typical red-blooded Italian males that they are, they can’t resist chasing after her. I would have thought that after more than a decade or two, they’d have become tired of her constant disappearances, and opted instead to settle down with a less accident prone female, maybe even giving Pauline a call, but, nope!

Single Player Mode

The goal of the game matches that of its relatives – you have to get to the end of 8 unique worlds, filled with ice, sand, and grass - each time whooping the derrière of one of the many Kooper family members from one side of their castle to the other, until the Princess has been rescued.

With such a simple synopsis, it can sound like the game isn’t going to be entertaining or challenging, but that really isn’t the case. The level designs are simplistic in their difficulty. Jumping on top of a Skeletor turtle sounds like child’s play, but you’d be surprised at how often those little scamps will get you.

Because the Wii is less of a "gamers" machine, Super Mario includes a new reward system that allows you to win videos of how to complete certain levels in the game. This is something that many Mario fans may turn away from, but it’s a great way to ensure the newer generation doesn’t allow themselves to get tired of the game if they are stuck on a certain aspect, which is an important factor when gamers today have so many other things to occupy their time with.

Many of the coins are themselves a challenge to get, with three being scattered in each level. Some are higher up, and difficult to get, while others are hidden from sight completely, with walls concealing their locations.

If a level appears too difficult, resulting in a player struggling to get past it, Luigi will pitch in to help out, and invite you to watch a video of him showing off in a "this is how I can do the level" way. Smug know-it-all!

Many collectable items make a return, such as the mushroom that makes you grow, and the flower than gives you balls of fire, that enable your character to progress through the levels with some additional fight against those cunning Goombas. These are joined by the introduction of the ice flower, which can freeze an enemy in to a solid block, the penguin suite, that helps you swim, and the red suite with a propeller as a hat, that will ... get this … propel you in to the sky, making those hard to reach places less hard to reach.

The Wii-mote uses a shacking motion to enable Mario to pick up an item, or propel upwards in to the air with his new suite, and also includes a neat little challenge in some of the levels that require you to tilt the Wii-mote left to right to control a girder platform. It sounds easy, but is really tricky to balance that while remembering to use the directional pad to move the character. It’s like patting your head and rubbing your tummy at the same time…. kinda!

You’ve given ample opportunities to stock-up on power-ups, that you can use later on, via a number of mini-games that usually involve Toad.

That Stupid Mushroom - Toad!

I’ve always hated that little winger, always getting in to trouble, or complaining that someone has been kidnapped, and he is back. This time he’s been taken by the Koopers, and squashed in to those mystery boxes (the ones with the scrolling ? on them). Every so often he calls out for "help", and you can go to the level he is trapped in.

He’s a lazy mushroom. He won’t walk, or follow you to safety, oh no, you have to carry him, which prevents you from using any firepower you may have. He’ll pace back and forth until you pick him up, but won’t move if a Goomba or turtle comes along, happy to instead just be killed and cause you to have wasted your time trying to save the little …

But, if you do save him, he will reward you with a game at his mushroom house. There is either the 1-up cannon game, in which you fire yourself out of a cannon, using the Wii-mote to aim yourself towards a group of balloons which contain lives, popping as many as you can in a single shot, or there is the card flip game, where you can try and match up two items and win.

The other mini-game finds Toad locked in a chest, and you have to collect a group of Toad face icons on a small level that’s being patrolled by a baddie. They aren’t too difficult, except for the ones on the ice level, as it’s a little slippery … but you are rewarded with three mushrooms for use later on.

Though personally, it’s prize enough to just pick him up, and throw him in a bottomless pit! Maybe that’s just me?

Single Player With Additional Players Mode

While this is sometimes referred to as "multi-player mode", based on the theory that there are actually multiple people playing at the same time, single player with additional player mode enables up to four single players to play single player mode at the same time, on the same screen. Handy if you can’t afford four TV’s or four Wii consoles.

During this type of game, each single player is able to interact with the others, either helping them or trying to take any item and coin that’s available, and even picking up each other and throwing them in the big hole in the ground. It’s a mode that can create all kinds of laughter and arguments, all in just five minutes.

It’s another reasons why the Wii is such a people console, something quite basic in its design, but really a lot of fun with the right people, the same people you may enjoy Mario Kart with, and may even end with a Wii-mote stuffed up the ….

Overall rating!

I’d give this game an 8 / 10, or 88%, because Toad really bugs the hell out of me. Had he not been in the game, and easy 90%+ would have been a more deserving score, but that constant "help me - I’m stuck in another question mark" will surly get to you!!

It’s a great reminder of what 2D games used to be, and why they were so good, as well as being a gem of a multi-player game that, while wont last all that long, will result in good times all around for all who take an hour or so to play it!
Tue 27/04/10 at 13:07
Regular
Hey am girl gamer,

love super mario (always have) and am seriously prefering it on dsi simply becuase i am better at it on dsi. However youngest brother who is gamer freak(the boy is 7yrs and completed the game in 6 days, and no he doesnt spend his life glued to the tv) loved it as did 15 yrs old younder bro so am liking it but prefer it on dsi. Would give it a 8/10 purely becuase it is mario xxx
Mon 08/03/10 at 23:19
Regular
a good game for 4,7 year olds
Sun 03/01/10 at 17:04
Regular
i think nsmb is a great game and i give it a 9/10 simply brilliant
Mon 28/12/09 at 20:11
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
[B][U]Super Mario Bros. Nintendo Wii[/U][/B]

I’ve always been a fan of the Mario & Sonic 2D games of yore, and even recently used my free Nintendo Wii Download to obtain Super Mario Bros. 3 for the old 8-bit Nintendo system – so when I came across the new Wii version of Mario, I knew it would be one that I’d have to own for myself.

So I borrowed a copy from a friend, and was pleased to see how the game had turned out. It’s certainly a reminder of how games in the past were, and caused all sorts of nostalgic feelings.

Plumber By Day …

Mario is once again accompanied by his half-brother Luigi (as it turns out they have different fathers), and they are alerted to the fact that the Kooper family have visited the Princess … again! Being the typical red-blooded Italian males that they are, they can’t resist chasing after her. I would have thought that after more than a decade or two, they’d have become tired of her constant disappearances, and opted instead to settle down with a less accident prone female, maybe even giving Pauline a call, but, nope!

Single Player Mode

The goal of the game matches that of its relatives – you have to get to the end of 8 unique worlds, filled with ice, sand, and grass - each time whooping the derrière of one of the many Kooper family members from one side of their castle to the other, until the Princess has been rescued.

With such a simple synopsis, it can sound like the game isn’t going to be entertaining or challenging, but that really isn’t the case. The level designs are simplistic in their difficulty. Jumping on top of a Skeletor turtle sounds like child’s play, but you’d be surprised at how often those little scamps will get you.

Because the Wii is less of a "gamers" machine, Super Mario includes a new reward system that allows you to win videos of how to complete certain levels in the game. This is something that many Mario fans may turn away from, but it’s a great way to ensure the newer generation doesn’t allow themselves to get tired of the game if they are stuck on a certain aspect, which is an important factor when gamers today have so many other things to occupy their time with.

Many of the coins are themselves a challenge to get, with three being scattered in each level. Some are higher up, and difficult to get, while others are hidden from sight completely, with walls concealing their locations.

If a level appears too difficult, resulting in a player struggling to get past it, Luigi will pitch in to help out, and invite you to watch a video of him showing off in a "this is how I can do the level" way. Smug know-it-all!

Many collectable items make a return, such as the mushroom that makes you grow, and the flower than gives you balls of fire, that enable your character to progress through the levels with some additional fight against those cunning Goombas. These are joined by the introduction of the ice flower, which can freeze an enemy in to a solid block, the penguin suite, that helps you swim, and the red suite with a propeller as a hat, that will ... get this … propel you in to the sky, making those hard to reach places less hard to reach.

The Wii-mote uses a shacking motion to enable Mario to pick up an item, or propel upwards in to the air with his new suite, and also includes a neat little challenge in some of the levels that require you to tilt the Wii-mote left to right to control a girder platform. It sounds easy, but is really tricky to balance that while remembering to use the directional pad to move the character. It’s like patting your head and rubbing your tummy at the same time…. kinda!

You’ve given ample opportunities to stock-up on power-ups, that you can use later on, via a number of mini-games that usually involve Toad.

That Stupid Mushroom - Toad!

I’ve always hated that little winger, always getting in to trouble, or complaining that someone has been kidnapped, and he is back. This time he’s been taken by the Koopers, and squashed in to those mystery boxes (the ones with the scrolling ? on them). Every so often he calls out for "help", and you can go to the level he is trapped in.

He’s a lazy mushroom. He won’t walk, or follow you to safety, oh no, you have to carry him, which prevents you from using any firepower you may have. He’ll pace back and forth until you pick him up, but won’t move if a Goomba or turtle comes along, happy to instead just be killed and cause you to have wasted your time trying to save the little …

But, if you do save him, he will reward you with a game at his mushroom house. There is either the 1-up cannon game, in which you fire yourself out of a cannon, using the Wii-mote to aim yourself towards a group of balloons which contain lives, popping as many as you can in a single shot, or there is the card flip game, where you can try and match up two items and win.

The other mini-game finds Toad locked in a chest, and you have to collect a group of Toad face icons on a small level that’s being patrolled by a baddie. They aren’t too difficult, except for the ones on the ice level, as it’s a little slippery … but you are rewarded with three mushrooms for use later on.

Though personally, it’s prize enough to just pick him up, and throw him in a bottomless pit! Maybe that’s just me?

Single Player With Additional Players Mode

While this is sometimes referred to as "multi-player mode", based on the theory that there are actually multiple people playing at the same time, single player with additional player mode enables up to four single players to play single player mode at the same time, on the same screen. Handy if you can’t afford four TV’s or four Wii consoles.

During this type of game, each single player is able to interact with the others, either helping them or trying to take any item and coin that’s available, and even picking up each other and throwing them in the big hole in the ground. It’s a mode that can create all kinds of laughter and arguments, all in just five minutes.

It’s another reasons why the Wii is such a people console, something quite basic in its design, but really a lot of fun with the right people, the same people you may enjoy Mario Kart with, and may even end with a Wii-mote stuffed up the ….

Overall rating!

I’d give this game an 8 / 10, or 88%, because Toad really bugs the hell out of me. Had he not been in the game, and easy 90%+ would have been a more deserving score, but that constant "help me - I’m stuck in another question mark" will surly get to you!!

It’s a great reminder of what 2D games used to be, and why they were so good, as well as being a gem of a multi-player game that, while wont last all that long, will result in good times all around for all who take an hour or so to play it!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.