GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Audio Over 10mb"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/12/09 at 17:07
Regular
Hi Guys.

I have an InstantPRO site, and i want to put a number of audio only files onto my site that visitors can either click and open or save to disk. Previously i'd save it in a folder in my old SR account folder and then link to it, but with instantPRO i don't see that option??
The default is embed which obviously loads everything on opening the page and also is capped at 10MB, so how can i go back to what i had previously with clickable links?? some of the files are 100MB

Thanks, Keith.
Tue 29/12/09 at 11:06
"Are you sure?"
Numnut wrote:
> InstantPro also has the option to make files available for
> download too...

Thanks, I didn't know you could do that :¬)

FAO Eccles - Please don't forget the JavaScript/Google Adsense plugin ;¬)
I have people waiting for this...

[s]Hmmm...[/s] My Freeola Instant Site
Sun 27/12/09 at 17:22
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
InstantPro has file limits in place for several reasons. To stop people using the service as file storage, to stop problems with browser timing out when uploading, to stop autoplay file being so large they stop the rest of the site loading for ages. There are a lot of ideas I have, which we could add to InstantPro to make media features better.
We could up the limit but I think 100MB is a little high. There is a limit for photos of 50MB so perhaps the limit for other files will be increased to this. I will take a look in the New Year.
Sun 27/12/09 at 13:00
Staff
"Look! There's a..."
I have answered the support ticket you have sent in, but so as the information is available to all forum users:

As I understand it, it is not possible to change the maximum file size for uploads due to how the builder software is designed, and also similar constraints presented by uploading via a web browser (as opposed to using FTP) too.

A 10Mb file is still fairly large, a standard mp3 might only be 3 or 4mb so 'bite-size' chunks will be a more manageable solution to this issue.

One of the other staffies, Eccles, is fairly involved with the construction of InstantPro, so I will make enquiries with him as to the possibilities of increasing the maximum file-size allowed, but I do not believe it to be possible.
Sun 27/12/09 at 11:52
Regular
Thanks, that answers what i want to achieve, but i have had to send a support ticket in as the InstantPro builder is capped at 10MB.
Sun 27/12/09 at 11:34
Staff
"Look! There's a..."
InstantPro also has the option to make files available for download too.

If you specify the text you wish to have as your link within the text editor, and click the links icon, you will be presented with a few options.

Select "option B - Browse for a file to link to" and upload your file to the sitebuilder. Visitors to your pages will then be able to click the link on your page to either listen to the audio file, or right click to download it.

Have a look at the Example Page for a working example.

This should allow you to do what you need to do, though I would echo the advice made by Hmmm earlier that "100MB is very large!" and that smaller files would certainly be better, and quicker for people to download too!

If you have any problems you can always send us a Support Request and we'll answer as quickly as we can!
Sat 26/12/09 at 14:44
Regular
Yes, thanks for that, it would seem that the simplest option would be to have a seperate domain with VIP hosting with the files on and then link the InstantPro site to the content. the other option is getting Freeola to move the InstantPro content to a VIP account, but i'm not sure if they would do that, and the functinality would go. Just seems annoying to potentially have to pay out for two sites to get one.

Thanks, Keith.
Sat 26/12/09 at 14:12
"Are you sure?"
InstantPro doesn't support normal FTP access - so you'll need to signup for 'VIP hosting' for another Freeola domain, that will give you normal/full FTP access. Or you could move/convert your InstantPro account to a VIP one for around the same money but you wouldn't have the 'website builder'.

Or...
why not try hosting the files on YouTube and linking/embedding them on your InstantPro site?

Or...
does your ISP give you some free web space where you could store your files and link to them from your InstantPro site?
Sat 26/12/09 at 12:23
Regular
Hi, yes the audio is mp3 format, but some of the audio is an hour long or more hence the large filesize, i can't embed them onto a page as several on one page would take a long time for the page to load, whereas links to the content would enable the visitor to click on said link and choose to play or save to file, the content wouldnt actually load, just the page with the links.

The InstantPRO builder doesn't use the same folder options as i would have done previously, so maybe someone could tell me if i still have access to folders on my account like one would create with a standard website using the "SR" logins? and how i would get to them to add content and then simply link to that content in my InstantPRO site.

i have a dormant sr0494553 account but nothing live on it at present, would the easiest option be to use a Freeola500 domain name and load content to that as previous and then link the InstantPro site to the (audio) content based there??

the only concern is that this option would not be free to upload to as my ISP is Virgin. InstantPRO allows me free ftp upload but using the SR option would not i believe?
Sat 26/12/09 at 10:18
"Are you sure?"
Hi, and welcome to the forums!

I would perhaps look at the 'file type' and compression you are using for your audio files. 100MB is very large!

Are you using MP3 which will be many times smaller than WAV or other sound files?
A normal 3 or 4 minute MP3 track would be around 4MB...

Not only will smaller file sizes help you but they'll also be better for your visitor to manage/use!

Looking at the options in InstantPro 'embedded media', on the 'advanced tab' there is an option to 'auto play' - unchecking that might be what you are after?

You could still use a non-InstantPro site to 'store' your files on and then just link as before. But in case you aren't able to do this any more - being creative, I'm guessing you might be able to build a page containing all your media (if you can reduce the file size!) and then set things up so that the page isn't displayed in the navigation menu but is live. Then look at the page source to see where your files are stored and then add appropriate links on a normal InstantPro page as you did before! :¬)
Fri 25/12/09 at 17:07
Regular
Hi Guys.

I have an InstantPRO site, and i want to put a number of audio only files onto my site that visitors can either click and open or save to disk. Previously i'd save it in a folder in my old SR account folder and then link to it, but with instantPRO i don't see that option??
The default is embed which obviously loads everything on opening the page and also is capped at 10MB, so how can i go back to what i had previously with clickable links?? some of the files are 100MB

Thanks, Keith.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.