GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hardware DVD decoders and Graphics Cards"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/07/01 at 23:23
Regular
The story is I'm looking to upgrade my graphics, currently Intel 815 Integrated Graphics Controller, Creative 12X DVD, 500MHz Celeron, 128MB.
I use my computer for mainly playing DVDs and games. The question is do I buy a Hardware DVD Decoder AND new Graphics card (is this possible? what does the monitor plug into? do I need to swap it around depending on what I using it for, games/dvd, any suggestions for graphics card around £100) or JUST a new graphics card with integrated DVD support (if so any suggestions around the £150 price tag)?
Tue 24/07/01 at 23:23
The story is I'm looking to upgrade my graphics, currently Intel 815 Integrated Graphics Controller, Creative 12X DVD, 500MHz Celeron, 128MB.
I use my computer for mainly playing DVDs and games. The question is do I buy a Hardware DVD Decoder AND new Graphics card (is this possible? what does the monitor plug into? do I need to swap it around depending on what I using it for, games/dvd, any suggestions for graphics card around £100) or JUST a new graphics card with integrated DVD support (if so any suggestions around the £150 price tag)?
Wed 25/07/01 at 08:41
Regular
The best option is a DVD decoder and a decent graphics card. This works by plugging the two cards together with a pre-supplied lead. DVD decoders cost about £65 so that leaves you with £85 to spend on a graphics card. We sell a couple of Geforce 2's for £95 or a cheaper RIva TNT 2 card for £50.
Wed 25/07/01 at 15:32
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
I specified a DVD decoder card in my SR PeeCee. It does make DVD's run a lot smoother and the sound quality is amzing!! you can run cables out of the card and watch movies on a big screen TV too, although finding a cable with the right connections is a big task!! Personally i wouldn't skimp on the price of a grpahics card and if money is a problem stick with a good graphics card and software decoding to start with and then upgrade to a dvd card when you have more spare cash as the DVD card wont help speed up things like gameplay or rendering work.
Wed 01/08/01 at 01:01
Hi im upgrading my PC, i just wanted to know wether RAM is available in 64mb "sticks" (please excuse the unscientific term) because i currently have 2 32mb sticks of SDRAM. So if i had 4 DIMM slots on my motherboard i could have 256 mb of RAM.
Wed 01/08/01 at 01:07
Also, another question for anyone who is willing to answer.
What is faster, a 650mhz P3 (recent flip chip) or an 800mhz AMD Duron? Cheers
Wed 01/08/01 at 01:51
Regular
"How Handy."
the ram is available in 64mb sticks and the AMD is definetly faster.
Wed 01/08/01 at 01:52
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
McNAB wrote:
> Hi im upgrading my PC, i just wanted to know wether RAM is available
> in 64mb "sticks" (please excuse the unscientific term)
> because i currently have 2 32mb sticks of SDRAM. So if i had 4 DIMM
> slots on my motherboard i could have 256 mb of RAM.

Yes.
Wed 01/08/01 at 01:53
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
McNAB wrote:
> Also, another question for anyone who is willing to answer.
What is
> faster, a 650mhz P3 (recent flip chip) or an 800mhz AMD Duron?
> Cheers

Buy the AMD or I will break your fingers. Even if it was a 800 P3 and a 650 AMD, the AMD would still probably be better.
Wed 01/08/01 at 02:08
McNAB wrote:
> Also, another question for anyone who is willing to answer.
What is
> faster, a 650mhz P3 (recent flip chip) or an 800mhz AMD Duron?
> Cheers

The AMD Duron is faster but the Intel P3 is easier to set-up, And requies less updates etc.

You will also find that motherboards for the P3 are cheaper than the Duron / Athlon motherboards.

The P3 also has slightly better software and hardware compatibility.
Wed 01/08/01 at 13:51
Regular
"Tag as above"
Treat yourself to a DURON. I got rid of my PII400 CPU and Board, Slapped in a Duron 800 and Abit KT7 Mobo and it flies.

I had a DVD decoder card (Creative Encore) It was pretty good, but I changed my graphics card for a ATI Radeon and the playback on DVD is perfectly alright.

With a combination of this chip,board and graphics plus a nice helping of ram I get Quake II at 133fps. (w98 only, w2k/me drivers drop it to 60fps).

Go Duron 800 then clock it to 1GHZ when it needs its on its last legs (or before then if you are brave/loaded)

Check out Anadtech for clocking guides. http://www.anandtech.com

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.