GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Height Of Frustration"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Trials HD'.
Mon 21/12/09 at 20:38
Regular
"And in last place.."
After taking a break from it, tonight I went back to Trials HD. It was roughly 5 seconds into the game when I remembered why I had taken a break. I am trying to complete the last stage of the Hard difficulty stages and "Hard" is not the word, insert many swear words beforehand and we are getting a little closer.

To put it simply, Trials HD is the most frustrating game I have ever played bar none. But yet I absolutely love it. Tonight I finally cracked this final Hard stage albeit 145 attempts later. Everytime I crashed I told the game in no uncertain terms that what it was asking was impossible but every time I failed I immediatley tried and tried again.

I'm normally quite determined when it comes to challenges but Trials HD takes things too far which makes it remarkable that I stick at it when I am failing so often. This game is a challenge from the start, it wants you to fail and fail many times, it wants to humlate you, it wants to make you cry.

It is hard to put my finger on just what it is that keeps me going. There is no doubting the sense of achievement in passing an awkward obstacle goes off the scale but at the same time I know the next obstacle is going to be as hard if not harder which is no reward for progress. By the time I reach the end of a level the sense of achievement is diluted with an equal sense of relief. Perhaps proving to myself that what the game asks of me is actually possible keeps me going even though sometimes I am so far from proving that. Or could it simply be that the game makes restarting from a checkpoint so easy that I want to get back on my bike and try again?

It is probably a mix of all of the above but the overriding factor is that it is a mighty fine game. I hate it and love it in equal measure but the developers (who are clearly evil) have managed something in their game to make me come back for more despite my phenominal level of failings and I can't think of a single other game where I'd keep going with this level and frequency of failure.

Clearly this game is not for everyone. Joypads, consoles, TVs and family members will be at risk in some households. It is also telling that at this final Hard stage, only 1 person on my friends list has completed it which is quite a drop from the level before where only 1 person had not completed it.

The developers could have dropped the difficulty and made this game more welcoming. It would no doubt be good fun but part of me thinks it would be missing something.

So there you have it, Trials HD, a game designed by Satan himself but boy does he know how to make a game.

Anyone else out there in Freeola-land subjected themselves to this pleasurable torture?
Wed 21/04/10 at 09:21
Regular
"And in last place.."
Hedfix wrote:
> They patched Trials to make the toughest challenge easier.

Oh reeeeally. I'll need to go and have a look. It's been a couple of months since I last played... still trying to calm down after my last session on the first Extreme level.
Wed 21/04/10 at 00:10
Regular
"8==="
*Pops old topic*

They patched Trials to make the toughest challenge easier.

You unlock better weapons as you go through Resi, best off just going through on an easier setting to unlock the stuff that helps you when you replay it.

As for evil games: Ninja Gaiden 2.
Wed 30/12/09 at 22:19
Regular
"eat toast!"
I played resident evil 5 on veteran mode as my first play through. I had to contend with terrible COOP AI, Dodgy controls, weak weapons (HOW THE HELL DOES USING YOUR FIST DEAL MORE DAMAGE THEN A SHOTGUN SHELL IN THE FACE?) and some horrific QTE sections. Oh i completed it, but i'm sure as hell not going to play it again for a long, long while. I saw the red mist. A lot.

MW2 hackers, being thrashed in Multiplayer, Outgunned by the AI all made me seethe with anger.
Wed 30/12/09 at 20:14
Regular
"And in last place.."
hippyman wrote:
> That is a pretty fantastic post! You could even post this as a
> review!
>
> Yeah, I've been caught up in the frustration and I have to say I
> admire you for sticking at it and completing it. I gave up on
> the actual trials in the end and just played the minigames!

I've not completed it yet. There is a skill level beyond hard which I've not tried yet. I can't remember it's name but it does suggest it might be troublesome.
Tue 22/12/09 at 18:39
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Grandprix wrote:
> Or try Back to the Future 3 on the Megadrive. The only difference
> is it is not fun to play in any way.

Halo 3:ODST on Legendary...not because of the difficulty, just because it doesnt have any playability at all. Anybody who completes it on Legendary has my respect :P
Tue 22/12/09 at 15:17
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Or try Back to the Future 3 on the Megadrive. The only difference is it is not fun to play in any way.
Tue 22/12/09 at 14:15
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Try Mushroom Wars on hard. Some of the missions in Campaign are ridiculous :(

Done all the Skirmishes in one try, and most of the levels after a few attempts. But some are just impossible.
Mon 21/12/09 at 21:41
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
That is a pretty fantastic post! You could even post this as a review!

Yeah, I've been caught up in the frustration and I have to say I admire you for sticking at it and completing it. I gave up on the actual trials in the end and just played the minigames!
Mon 21/12/09 at 20:38
Regular
"And in last place.."
After taking a break from it, tonight I went back to Trials HD. It was roughly 5 seconds into the game when I remembered why I had taken a break. I am trying to complete the last stage of the Hard difficulty stages and "Hard" is not the word, insert many swear words beforehand and we are getting a little closer.

To put it simply, Trials HD is the most frustrating game I have ever played bar none. But yet I absolutely love it. Tonight I finally cracked this final Hard stage albeit 145 attempts later. Everytime I crashed I told the game in no uncertain terms that what it was asking was impossible but every time I failed I immediatley tried and tried again.

I'm normally quite determined when it comes to challenges but Trials HD takes things too far which makes it remarkable that I stick at it when I am failing so often. This game is a challenge from the start, it wants you to fail and fail many times, it wants to humlate you, it wants to make you cry.

It is hard to put my finger on just what it is that keeps me going. There is no doubting the sense of achievement in passing an awkward obstacle goes off the scale but at the same time I know the next obstacle is going to be as hard if not harder which is no reward for progress. By the time I reach the end of a level the sense of achievement is diluted with an equal sense of relief. Perhaps proving to myself that what the game asks of me is actually possible keeps me going even though sometimes I am so far from proving that. Or could it simply be that the game makes restarting from a checkpoint so easy that I want to get back on my bike and try again?

It is probably a mix of all of the above but the overriding factor is that it is a mighty fine game. I hate it and love it in equal measure but the developers (who are clearly evil) have managed something in their game to make me come back for more despite my phenominal level of failings and I can't think of a single other game where I'd keep going with this level and frequency of failure.

Clearly this game is not for everyone. Joypads, consoles, TVs and family members will be at risk in some households. It is also telling that at this final Hard stage, only 1 person on my friends list has completed it which is quite a drop from the level before where only 1 person had not completed it.

The developers could have dropped the difficulty and made this game more welcoming. It would no doubt be good fun but part of me thinks it would be missing something.

So there you have it, Trials HD, a game designed by Satan himself but boy does he know how to make a game.

Anyone else out there in Freeola-land subjected themselves to this pleasurable torture?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.