GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Euthanasia"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/07/01 at 17:05
Regular
If we have a pet who is in tremendous agony we do the humane thing and have them 'put down'. By doing this we are bringing their life to an end and stopping all their suffering....
.. Euthanasia is defined as the bringing about of an easy death for a person suffering from a painful and uncurable disease. If it is humane to help an animal be put down, one would also think putting down a human suffering from a terrible disease such as cancer would also be the humane thing to do.

However it is NOT in our society. It is currently ILLEGAL in the UK and everywhere else in the world apart from one country - Holland.

Euthanasia would be brought about by a doctor at the will of the person suffering from an incurable disease. People who believe euthanasia should be legalised believe people have the right to decide whether they want to stop their suffering. They should have the ability to make their own decision.

Recently in the news there has been talk about a woman, Diane Pretty, 42 who suffers from motor neurone disease that wants a doctor to be legally allowed to help her die. She has suffered tremendously over her life with various treatments and can no longer write herself and she is only 42. Should she be allowed to be helped to die?

Euthanasia is illegal for many important reasons. Firstly the person who wants euthanasia may be too ill to know whether they want to die or not. This may mean that people are not in the right state to make such a life changing decision. Also euthanasia is attacked by many religions who say it is wrong. In Christianity and Judaism for example they believe that only God can take a life as life is sacred and given to us by God as a gift. It is not ours to take. However should other people that don't believe in religions be not able to have the decision to make. Is it fair to trap others with religious beliefs they have nothing to do with? Many would say no however one must factor in that the doctor carrying out the euthanasia may be religious himself and against it. However surely the government could excuse such people from this duty if they ask? Also euthanasia could lead to legal trouble. Doctors might be accussed of murder if they carried out euthanasia. Their may be difficulties where the doctors find it hard to prove it was the will of the patient. Also euthanasia would be legalising murder with consent. Some people might as a result abuse the law and try murdering others and insisting it was their will...

...However there are many reasons why it should be legal. Firstly and most importantly people should deserve the right to have an easy death. Secondly people would find other ways of taking their own lives. If you watched Eastenders "Dot and Ethel" storyline you can see a law doesn't stop people from doing it. Also why should people suffer unnecessarily if they can avoid it? We have the technology to put people out of their pain yet we don't use it as we feel it is immoraly wrong.. Surely it is helping another human and that is making us good people? Finally euthanasia can be arranged and would stop people from never knowing which day they will lose their relative. It would stop the strain on families as they could be with their relatives when they die and not waste time missing sleep looking after a dying person.

Recently euthanasia was legalised in Holland and people for the first time were given the chance to have it granted under the circumstances that the "patient makes a voluntary request that is vocal or written". That the request is "well considered and durable" meaning it has been thought through and was not made at the spur of the moment. There also has to be the circumstance that "a patient cannot recover" and that the "Physician consults a colleague before doing it to check that they agree that the circumstances have been met". He/she must also "inform the local medical examiner of the circumstances of which it was carried out." I personally can't see anything wrong with this. We don't hear about it not working in Holland in the news and the conditions are fair and solid and hard to be broken. So basically all it comes down to is the question of whether we can take a person's life. Whether we should be allowed.

I personally think the law is ridiculous. We have legalised abortion but not euthanasia. Both concepts are of the same principle - we are taking a life. I have seen videos of abortion being carried out and if you can tell me the baby in the womb isn't a life I would be very angry and very disagreeable. It is a life and we are taking it. And if we can take the life of a baby which has no choice in the matter but can't take the life of an old person who has the ability to make a choice what kind of society are we?

I don't personally agree with abortion or euthanasia. I believe only God can take a life and have made that choice. I have made that decision - I have decided I would not want to be assisted in dying ever. HOWEVER I believe euthanasia should be legalised as I believe people deserve the right to make their own decisions like I have mine. We deserve the freedom to make our decisions as I know many people would like to have this freedom including Diane Pretty.

So make a decision. Should euthanasia be legalised and remember its NOT a matter of "do YOU agree with it" it's a matter of "do people deserve the right to make that choice".

Thanks for reading, I've been wanting to discuss this for a long time. Please reply with all your views and feel free to argue with me.
Thu 26/07/01 at 17:40
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Andrew Hunt wrote:
> Another thing is that a lot of Medical advances have been made by
> studying people who have uncuradble diseases. This has then lead to
> cures or ways to length a life or at least improve the quality and
> as such other people have benefited

True. I never thought of it that way. I thought the argument here was that cures may arrive before they die (which I feel is terribly unlikely).

What I hate the most is we can legalise abortion but not euthanasia. I think abortion is a disgrace - it's baby killing for goodness sake. People always say they don't want to talk about it and lie to themselves that the baby isn't alive and that its ok. But its NOT okay. That baby is as alive as you and me. It is growing. It may not be born yet but it still is growing. It has the potential to be a human being. Don't know whether anyones watching Eastenders lately but Natalies going to have an abortion and although she's acting I think what she is saying is unbelievable. "It's just a foetus!" etc.. Yes it is but it's alive and can feel pain. When abortion is carried out they 'stab' the baby with a few prods and more or less suck it out into a huge tangled mass of dead flesh - it's absolutely sick. What really irritates me is that people think euthanasia is worse. We are meddling with a childs life - we are destroying it yet in euthanasia we are given the choice. A child has 80 or so years ahead of it while a dying person has say 1 year of suffering. There is nothing that can compare to this.

If you are ever thinking of abortion in the future PLEASE I beg you DON'T. It's disgusting and shouldn't be allowed. It should be illegal like euthanasia. Adoption is the better way as the child still gets the life it deserves and doesn't suffer as much as it would during an abortion.
Thu 26/07/01 at 15:16
Regular
Another thing is that a lot of Medical advances have been made by studying people who have uncuradble diseases. This has then lead to cures or ways to length a life or at least improve the quality and as such other people have benefited
Thu 26/07/01 at 14:15
It is easy to say that everyone should have autonomy. As an individual I value being in control of my life and making decisions. However if everyone did what was always best for themselves with no regard for others the world would be a very selfish place. I believe therefore that we should be careful when talking about euthanaisia as the romm for abuse is massive. Is there not the worry that life will be devalued to the detrement of the terminally ill? Those terminally ill may feel pressured into euthanaisia to release a burden from socirty. There is this problem of the slippery slope. also who would administer the euthanaisia? Doctors? Is that fair on them? The is also the problem of abuse which could equate to murder. I believe that we must be careful where we draw the lines in our society and therefore I believe euthanaisia should be banned for everyone. Yes for individuals and their families and friends it is very tough but we should remember that there is pain relief available which may as a side effect shorten life. I think this is a better option to making euthanaisia legal and keeps safe the value of life but still allows for compassion.
Tue 24/07/01 at 17:05
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
If we have a pet who is in tremendous agony we do the humane thing and have them 'put down'. By doing this we are bringing their life to an end and stopping all their suffering....
.. Euthanasia is defined as the bringing about of an easy death for a person suffering from a painful and uncurable disease. If it is humane to help an animal be put down, one would also think putting down a human suffering from a terrible disease such as cancer would also be the humane thing to do.

However it is NOT in our society. It is currently ILLEGAL in the UK and everywhere else in the world apart from one country - Holland.

Euthanasia would be brought about by a doctor at the will of the person suffering from an incurable disease. People who believe euthanasia should be legalised believe people have the right to decide whether they want to stop their suffering. They should have the ability to make their own decision.

Recently in the news there has been talk about a woman, Diane Pretty, 42 who suffers from motor neurone disease that wants a doctor to be legally allowed to help her die. She has suffered tremendously over her life with various treatments and can no longer write herself and she is only 42. Should she be allowed to be helped to die?

Euthanasia is illegal for many important reasons. Firstly the person who wants euthanasia may be too ill to know whether they want to die or not. This may mean that people are not in the right state to make such a life changing decision. Also euthanasia is attacked by many religions who say it is wrong. In Christianity and Judaism for example they believe that only God can take a life as life is sacred and given to us by God as a gift. It is not ours to take. However should other people that don't believe in religions be not able to have the decision to make. Is it fair to trap others with religious beliefs they have nothing to do with? Many would say no however one must factor in that the doctor carrying out the euthanasia may be religious himself and against it. However surely the government could excuse such people from this duty if they ask? Also euthanasia could lead to legal trouble. Doctors might be accussed of murder if they carried out euthanasia. Their may be difficulties where the doctors find it hard to prove it was the will of the patient. Also euthanasia would be legalising murder with consent. Some people might as a result abuse the law and try murdering others and insisting it was their will...

...However there are many reasons why it should be legal. Firstly and most importantly people should deserve the right to have an easy death. Secondly people would find other ways of taking their own lives. If you watched Eastenders "Dot and Ethel" storyline you can see a law doesn't stop people from doing it. Also why should people suffer unnecessarily if they can avoid it? We have the technology to put people out of their pain yet we don't use it as we feel it is immoraly wrong.. Surely it is helping another human and that is making us good people? Finally euthanasia can be arranged and would stop people from never knowing which day they will lose their relative. It would stop the strain on families as they could be with their relatives when they die and not waste time missing sleep looking after a dying person.

Recently euthanasia was legalised in Holland and people for the first time were given the chance to have it granted under the circumstances that the "patient makes a voluntary request that is vocal or written". That the request is "well considered and durable" meaning it has been thought through and was not made at the spur of the moment. There also has to be the circumstance that "a patient cannot recover" and that the "Physician consults a colleague before doing it to check that they agree that the circumstances have been met". He/she must also "inform the local medical examiner of the circumstances of which it was carried out." I personally can't see anything wrong with this. We don't hear about it not working in Holland in the news and the conditions are fair and solid and hard to be broken. So basically all it comes down to is the question of whether we can take a person's life. Whether we should be allowed.

I personally think the law is ridiculous. We have legalised abortion but not euthanasia. Both concepts are of the same principle - we are taking a life. I have seen videos of abortion being carried out and if you can tell me the baby in the womb isn't a life I would be very angry and very disagreeable. It is a life and we are taking it. And if we can take the life of a baby which has no choice in the matter but can't take the life of an old person who has the ability to make a choice what kind of society are we?

I don't personally agree with abortion or euthanasia. I believe only God can take a life and have made that choice. I have made that decision - I have decided I would not want to be assisted in dying ever. HOWEVER I believe euthanasia should be legalised as I believe people deserve the right to make their own decisions like I have mine. We deserve the freedom to make our decisions as I know many people would like to have this freedom including Diane Pretty.

So make a decision. Should euthanasia be legalised and remember its NOT a matter of "do YOU agree with it" it's a matter of "do people deserve the right to make that choice".

Thanks for reading, I've been wanting to discuss this for a long time. Please reply with all your views and feel free to argue with me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.