GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"VERY IMPORTANT THREAD- PLEASE JOIN IN"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty'.
Thu 15/04/04 at 12:42
Regular
"Time Up"
live in Egypt, many of you already know about that, I'm just telling the ones who don't know to understand the problem. Now the thing is yeterday when I was watching T.V, I saw a commercial about an air conditioner, the actors were supposed to be in a space ship, one of them was eating chocolate and singing, and I noticed that the background music was the beggining of the Metal Gear Solid 2:Sons Of Liberty theme, so suddenly a problem happened, then the guy who was eating all of a sudden took a remote for the A.C and used it to solve the problem, and here comes ome of the most stupid things I have ever seen, the background music continued as the guy kept using the A.C and they were clearly using it without permission from Konami, and they clearly took the advantage that almost nobody here knows about the game, and they were clearly using it for merchandise, I waited till the end, and they didn't mention anything about the copyrights, offcourse Konami don't watch Egyptian T.V, so they couldn't have known about it, so what I want to do is tell them, so can anyone tell me what should I do ?
Sat 17/04/04 at 00:13
Regular
That's... exactly what I've been saying.
Sat 17/04/04 at 00:12
Regular
"Time Up"
Mav wrote:
> Fact is, Mr Gregson-Williams has orchestrated that piece himself. It's
> his own work and he spent time on it. It doesn't matter whether or
> not some rubbishy, obscure, air-conditioning company is using it in
> the background of their commercial or a multi-billion pound company
> is blatenty taking credit for it - somebody has put work into this,
> somebody else has bought it and this air-conditioning company is
> taking advantage of the tune in light of its situation.
>
> The law should be respective to all - not just some.
No, you totally miss the point. Harry Gregson Williams orchestrated it himself, but he had a contract with Konami. Supposed Hideo Kojima left Konami, would he be able to make mgs again ? Offcourse not, because it's copyrighted by them, and so are all of it's conetents. If you buy the OST CD it will say: "Copyright Konami" not "Copyright "Harry Gregson Williams".
Sat 17/04/04 at 00:08
Regular
"Time Up"
Bonus wrote:
> Fair enough, but you don't need to quote every single word that I said
> to make your point, that's copyright infringement and I will sue, as
> you have used my words to increase your word count.
>
> Now, put the handbag away and chill out. If you really think that
> Konami will care that some crappy little egyptian advert has the MGS
> theme tune in it, knock yourself out, it is hardly going to make them
> as much money as the will lose pursuing it.
>
> Good to see that the fresh air and sunshine in Egypt doesn't effect
> the brain too much ;)
I am not quoting to increase my word count,I am already a regular. I quote to point that I reply to you, not the one who replied agter you. It's an Egyptian Advert, but for a multi-billion dollar international corporation. They exist in 75 countries. They knew what they were doing, and if Konami sue them, they'll be in big trouble.
Fri 16/04/04 at 22:57
Regular
Fact is, Mr Gregson-Williams has orchestrated that piece himself. It's his own work and he spent time on it. It doesn't matter whether or not some rubbishy, obscure, air-conditioning company is using it in the background of their commercial or a multi-billion pound company is blatenty taking credit for it - somebody has put work into this, somebody else has bought it and this air-conditioning company is taking advantage of the tune in light of its situation.

The law should be respective to all - not just some.
Fri 16/04/04 at 17:57
Regular
Fair enough, but you don't need to quote every single word that I said to make your point, that's copyright infringement and I will sue, as you have used my words to increase your word count.

Now, put the handbag away and chill out. If you really think that Konami will care that some crappy little egyptian advert has the MGS theme tune in it, knock yourself out, it is hardly going to make them as much money as the will lose pursuing it.

Good to see that the fresh air and sunshine in Egypt doesn't effect the brain too much ;)
Fri 16/04/04 at 17:52
Regular
"Time Up"
Bonus wrote:
> I really don't see the point in all of this.
>
> There would be very little substantial evidence to prove that they
> ripped the song right from the game.
>
> Even if it is identical, Konami are unlikely to want to waste money
> on pursuing an air conditioning company for using a sample of a theme
> tune from a two year+ old game.
>
> They might send a letter to the company telling them it wasn't
> appreciated, but in the current financial climate of the games
> industry, I'd bet a fair amount of company stock on them not giving a
> slightest bit of notice for any more than a few seconds.
>
> It's not as though they are using product placement or direct
> reference to the game to make a profit, and there doesn't seem to ba
> any attempt by the air conditioning company to make people think that
> the music is the driving force behind why they should buy their
> system, so, I don't see the point really :D
Actually Konami would be making money, and if you see the commercial, you'd realize that it's humiliating. In addition, this theme is still used in mgs3, at least partially, and it IS a direct rip off. It's clear and obvious.
Fri 16/04/04 at 17:48
Regular
"Time Up"
CTUbauer wrote:
> You're sure he didn't?
Yes. Absolutely 100%. I swear it with my own life.
Fri 16/04/04 at 17:48
Regular
I really don't see the point in all of this.

There would be very little substantial evidence to prove that they ripped the song right from the game.

Even if it is identical, Konami are unlikely to want to waste money on pursuing an air conditioning company for using a sample of a theme tune from a two year+ old game.

They might send a letter to the company telling them it wasn't appreciated, but in the current financial climate of the games industry, I'd bet a fair amount of company stock on them not giving a slightest bit of notice for any more than a few seconds.

It's not as though they are using product placement or direct reference to the game to make a profit, and there doesn't seem to ba any attempt by the air conditioning company to make people think that the music is the driving force behind why they should buy their system, so, I don't see the point really :D
Fri 16/04/04 at 17:46
Regular
"£77k - muahahahah"
You're sure he didn't?
Fri 16/04/04 at 17:45
Regular
"Time Up"
ßulle†† wrote:
> Cusack wrote:
> ssxpro wrote:
> Maybe mister Harry Gregson Williams, or whatever his name is, is
> Egyptian. You never know...
> He is pure 100% american
>
>
> Wrong. He is English, just lives in the US because he rocks at
> writing movie scores.
Whatever. He still doesn't have anything to do with Egypt, and he didn't give them the permission.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.