GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why do you play games?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/07/01 at 15:29
Regular
I had this thought yesterday as I played my dad at Red Faction, Why do we play games.
Everyone at some point has played a game of some variety. Before consoles where even around children played games in the street, boys playing football with jumpers for goalposts, girls skipping and playing hopscotch. We have all played games an Im sure you will agree you have enjoyed playing them.

Its now what some call the computer ages where technology is so advanced we can send e-mails in a split second across the world, view almost anything on the web and play games on some of the most advanced games machines that are available.
So why do we choose to play games. I think we do it for the sheer fun of it, humans and most animals need stimulation, thats why we watch tv, listen to music and play games. Nowadays some games with the graphics that can be obtained look similar to tv. So is it the fact that games are interactive and you have control over what happens that makes them so popular?

I suppose games are so popular as the market is so popular and advertising is big and attracts people by the bucketload. But more children these days would rather sit in and play video games instead of getting out and experiencing the real world. They loose out on valuable life skills for the sake of a game. So my advice is games are good but dont spen your life stuck away playing them, get out and do something.Is it the fact that some games stretch your imagination beyond its limits with their strange characters, theme and visual effects. Or is it the fact that they allow us to do things that we will probably never get the chance to do like drive a £70,000 sports car, or gun down the enemy forces, or fly a space ship. I guess everyone has their own reasons for why they play games. But I say it all purely down to fun.

Another thing I don't understand about the games market is the way people stand up for a certain console, don't you understand that these are the people that rip you off. Why do people stick up for consoles in this way, countless people moaning over which console is better and defending consoles that they haven't even played and that aren't even released. Why do you do this?
Tue 24/07/01 at 15:29
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I had this thought yesterday as I played my dad at Red Faction, Why do we play games.
Everyone at some point has played a game of some variety. Before consoles where even around children played games in the street, boys playing football with jumpers for goalposts, girls skipping and playing hopscotch. We have all played games an Im sure you will agree you have enjoyed playing them.

Its now what some call the computer ages where technology is so advanced we can send e-mails in a split second across the world, view almost anything on the web and play games on some of the most advanced games machines that are available.
So why do we choose to play games. I think we do it for the sheer fun of it, humans and most animals need stimulation, thats why we watch tv, listen to music and play games. Nowadays some games with the graphics that can be obtained look similar to tv. So is it the fact that games are interactive and you have control over what happens that makes them so popular?

I suppose games are so popular as the market is so popular and advertising is big and attracts people by the bucketload. But more children these days would rather sit in and play video games instead of getting out and experiencing the real world. They loose out on valuable life skills for the sake of a game. So my advice is games are good but dont spen your life stuck away playing them, get out and do something.Is it the fact that some games stretch your imagination beyond its limits with their strange characters, theme and visual effects. Or is it the fact that they allow us to do things that we will probably never get the chance to do like drive a £70,000 sports car, or gun down the enemy forces, or fly a space ship. I guess everyone has their own reasons for why they play games. But I say it all purely down to fun.

Another thing I don't understand about the games market is the way people stand up for a certain console, don't you understand that these are the people that rip you off. Why do people stick up for consoles in this way, countless people moaning over which console is better and defending consoles that they haven't even played and that aren't even released. Why do you do this?
Tue 24/07/01 at 15:37
Games are a fun way to relax, so I play them, as for the people who back up a console before even playing it, they are just stupid!

seeyas
Tue 24/07/01 at 15:38
Cool post. I think that gaming is popular because, as you say, it allows you to do things you couldn't do in real life, while offering a challenge at the same time.

As for why people stand up for consoles, it is that they are slightly insecure about buying that console and hate to think that they could have wasted their money on an inferior console, so they compensate by vigorously supporting their console. Either that or they truely believe that their console is the best by far, but the latter rarely occurs.
Tue 24/07/01 at 16:00
Regular
"Back For Good"
Some people play to pass the time, fun, as a hobbie or as an obsession.

I can't hide it I'm all of em.
Tue 24/07/01 at 16:10
Regular
I play games because they are fun, because I enjoy them. Surely thats why everyone does? No would really do something unless they enjoyed, surely?

I think the bigger question here is:

WHY do people enjoy games?

That question is more likely to get a range of replies.

I enjoy games because they are different from everyday routine:

Get up -> Shower -> Breakfast -> Work (or school) -> Lunch -> Home -> Dinner -> Pub or whatever.

There is no-where in that routine to infiltrate an enemy base and photo copy the secret documents (unless you have a REALLY cool job!). There's no-where in that routine to drive some of the best sports cars around at ridiculous speeds through real cities. (Unless you're rich and don't mind gettin arrested. Regularly).

So this is where games come in.

Some people like RPG's. They have whole cities and countries relying on them doing the right thing. Making the right choice, guiding the hero's through the dungeon in the right way etc.

Some people like RPGs, the like shooting people, jumping ridicuous distances, then get shot, but it's ok, as they come back to life again.

The list goes on, for all the different genres.

But they all have a bottom line. All the genres allow you to do something that you can;t do in real life. Thats the whole point of games. Escapism.

Some are like books. They have an interesting story. Only they are better than books. YOU are the main man, YOU get to decide what happens. That may not be applicable to all genres, obviously, but the main thing is:

YOU are in control.

And you can't get that from a book, or the telly, or a film. Only from games.
Tue 24/07/01 at 16:14
Regular
"Back For Good"
i think you should be able to do all that in agent under fire. haha
Tue 24/07/01 at 17:04
Regular
"Randomly Appearing"
most gamers play games to escape there boring/depressing lives... i do
Tue 24/07/01 at 17:13
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
DanDaGr8 wrote:
> most gamers play games to escape there boring/depressing lives... i
> do

Okay own up, how did you read my mind Dan?

(;o|
Tue 24/07/01 at 17:17
Regular
"You've upset me"
DanDaGr8 wrote:
> most gamers play games to escape there boring/depressing lives... i
> do

You been spying on me?
Tue 24/07/01 at 17:24
Regular
"Randomly Appearing"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> DanDaGr8 wrote:
> most gamers play games to escape there
> boring/depressing lives... i
> do

You been spying on me?

well now that you ask...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.