GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GIRLS!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/07/01 at 23:23
Regular
How important is a game character? Developers have to think who they are to make in a game male or female? The main character tends to be male as the majority of gamers are male but there tends to be the custom female to make the game more universal!

Vela from Jet force Gemini is a prime example but why is it important to have a character a certain gender? Well First person shooters don't matter. You may be Bond or Joanna but the way the game is set up is that it is you! meanwhile 3rd person will have you follow someone around which is when developers have to choose Male or Female or both.

A male character such as Link from Zelda is someone you will wonder around with all day but what if you wanted a female character instead? What could you do? Nintendo are slowly realizing this (a bit slow mind) with the upcoming Pokemon crystal where for the first time in a Pokemon game you can play as someone of the opposite sex.

When developers do incorparate girls in to games it tends to be in the worst possible taste. Lara Croft may of originally started off as a nice girl but now the way this character has transformed it has become a boys fantasy! Even Vela off Jet Force Gemini is a little obscure with her very short dress.

So this is what we have a male character who mainly appeals to men and a Female character who also appears to men even when Joanna Dark appeared on the scene she wasn't meant to be adored by many, which she is. Rare honestly tried to make her seem as a male killer with a female's sensative side as shown when Dr Carol dies but she is still seen as an attractive character!

What can they do here they can't make an ugly character as this won't be someone to wonder around with so now what?

Turok 3 incorperated a female, not a particulary attractive one or Ugly at that matter and is an designed character which can be enjoyed by females whilst we can play as the boy.

So character design is important, it is all well and good making a female character but if she is to appeal to the boys in a sexual way we may have a problem and if she is ugly to counteract the problem then we still have a problem.

It is difficult to get it right so lets hope the skill of making a well designed character is a skill we can see more of in the future!

Dringo
Wed 25/07/01 at 19:44
Regular
"Randomly Appearing"
N64ever wrote:
> resi 2 is pants the controls suc and u play it once through and its
> not worth goin back, the puzzels are ilogical and boring and the
> action is intrestin for about 5 minutes

your 7hrs late mate
Wed 25/07/01 at 19:43
Regular
"Back For Good"
probably too complex for you and i'm guessing you like the just for fun entertaining kinda games right!!

and yeah i forgot to mention that your right, the controls are awful using the 64's controller.
Wed 25/07/01 at 19:38
Regular
resi 2 is pants the controls suc and u play it once through and its not worth goin back, the puzzels are ilogical and boring and the action is intrestin for about 5 minutes
Wed 25/07/01 at 00:32
Regular
"Back For Good"
haha yeah it's great but not for everyone.

get the hunk scenario by completing all 4 scenarios i think for complete zombie blasting action.
Wed 25/07/01 at 00:16
Regular
I dont think resi evil 2 on the 64 is much good anyway. i picked it up for £20 a few weeks ago, but i aint really been blown away by it. not enough atmosphere in that game, but i did actually jump when one of zombies tried grabbing me through a window. came out of nowhere it did!
Wed 25/07/01 at 00:15
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
YOU UN ORIGIONAL ***! I was the one who came up with the idea of having topics named so that people really want to look at them . You have just copied me and i would like recognision.
Wed 25/07/01 at 00:08
Regular
"Back For Good"
To the people on about res down the page.

Claire isn't in the first one but she's is in 2 and code veronica, By the way the N64 version of res evil 2 isn't as good as people make out to be, it's great for N64 owners to get a taste of the action but the FMV sound and some of the speech wasn't very clear due to the compression needed to fit the whole game onto the cart but it makes up for this with extra files and slightly enhanced character models.

I think with texture mapping the original still looks far better.
Wed 25/07/01 at 00:03
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Listen to Er-No, for he is a master swordsman.

He knows stuff about women...things most of you can only imagine in the bath.

HAIL TO THE MIGHTY ER-NO

Go er-no..it's yo birthday...Go er-no..it's birthday...
Tue 24/07/01 at 23:58
Regular
"everyone says it"
JUGGA JUGGA on Conkers Bad Fur Day!

Excellent, when conker wakes up and says..

'I love you?'
Tue 24/07/01 at 23:56
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Ice Blaster wrote:
> The female of the species is more deadly than the male! supposdly!

This is quite true, look at the black widow spider, or the preying mantis.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.