GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] New Super Mario Bros Wii"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'New Super Mario Bros Wii'.
Wed 16/12/09 at 22:46
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
It’s crazy to think the last time we had a real 2D Mario adventure on a home console was way back on the SNES in the form of Super Mario World. As I write this review I sit here and wonder why it’s taken nearly eighteen years for the plumber to make his two dimensional return seeing as the fan base for old-school Mario titles has always been very big. Whatever the case he’s back and this time he isn’t alone.

Many people nowadays know Mario either through his karting skills, tennis ability or keen sense to throw parties, but I’m sure there’s many yet to have experienced his platforming talent. New Super Mario Bros Wii is true classic Mario with jumping, running and butt stomping being your main method of making it from point A to B. Sure along the way you have enemies to deal with, pitfalls to avoid and power-ups to grab, but basically your goal is always the same. Reach the end of a stage in one piece.

The reason I love this game, is because I can almost see it as a love letter to those Nintendo fans that have stuck with the company through thick and thin. Nods to previous titles are everywhere, be they in the form of remixed music, appearances from the Koopa kids or just level layouts and ideas. It’s all very familiar to fans but also great for someone who’s trying the series out for the first time.

So veterans will remember the formula all too well, but what exactly is new for those that want something fresh? Well not a great deal. To be honest if there were, it wouldn’t be the Mario we all know and love. Obviously new levels and enemies are in, new power-ups including the ice flower (exactly like the fire flower but with a freezing ability) and penguin suit are brought along with some familiar faces (mushroom, starman) and some little Wiimote movements are brought along too. Then there’s the biggest addition...

Obviously the big selling point for this title is the inclusion of multiplayer and it is definitely a fun one. While not a mind blowing addition, it definitely gives players the chance to tackle the Mario adventure in a different light. Suddenly speed runs are out of the question as you’ll constantly be waiting for players to catch up or you’ll find yourself getting in each other’s way as small platforms need to be shared out. While the idea of sharing a screen with others may upset gamers, I definitely had a good time playing with three people as we found ourselves laughing at every mistimed jump or moment of screwing one another over and throwing each other in lava.

The game has just the main adventure for single players but coin battle and a free play option become available when you play with others. In typical Mario fashion the adventure is split into eight maps spread across a range of environments that tick all the platforming clichés. Desert, ice, tropical, forest and so on. Each stage brings new challenges and no one level feels familiar to another. One minute you are traversing giant mushrooms and then next swimming through giant levitating balls of water.

While it seems this is the perfect Mario package, I feel like more could have been done. Some further options and extras would have made this the ultimate Mario experience. Sadly there are no alternate characters which is the first big downer, and then there are the coins that you collect throughout the adventure which are simply used to unlock videos of highly skilled players and alternate exit whereabouts. Don’t get me wrong the videos are quite entertaining and collecting all of them will give a nice reward, but how about some artwork, music or even some just giving us players the ability to record and create our own unique videos? Showing off our speed runs. Some more modes would have been nice too. Coin battle is great, but how about basing the winner on the amount of enemies defeated, power-ups caught or lives remaining. A little more customisation would have been great.

Visually the game is decent. Considering it’s a 2D game it’s hard to expect the game looking much better than it does. If I had one issue though, it’s the actual art style which borrows a lot from its DS counterpart. It’s solid, but lacks that beautifully unique style of say Super Mario World or Yoshi’s Island. Music wise again it’s good but nothing fantastic. After being treated to a wonderfully orchestrated Super Mario Galaxy this feels dated and none of the melodies really stick in your head like past ones have.

Length wise the main game will last anywhere from a couple of hours to half a day. There are secret shortcuts, hidden levels and hundreds of star coins to gather which will keep you busy searching high and low. Obviously if you have friends to play this with the lifespan is going to rise significantly but even if you don’t there’s still a good amount for you too.

Mario’s move to 3D has perhaps overshadowed his 2D days but New Super Mario Bros Wii has proven that even with the loss of a dimension the red plumber is equally as fun. Whether playing alone or with friends you’re bound to have a ton of fun this Christmas.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 16/12/09 at 22:46
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
It’s crazy to think the last time we had a real 2D Mario adventure on a home console was way back on the SNES in the form of Super Mario World. As I write this review I sit here and wonder why it’s taken nearly eighteen years for the plumber to make his two dimensional return seeing as the fan base for old-school Mario titles has always been very big. Whatever the case he’s back and this time he isn’t alone.

Many people nowadays know Mario either through his karting skills, tennis ability or keen sense to throw parties, but I’m sure there’s many yet to have experienced his platforming talent. New Super Mario Bros Wii is true classic Mario with jumping, running and butt stomping being your main method of making it from point A to B. Sure along the way you have enemies to deal with, pitfalls to avoid and power-ups to grab, but basically your goal is always the same. Reach the end of a stage in one piece.

The reason I love this game, is because I can almost see it as a love letter to those Nintendo fans that have stuck with the company through thick and thin. Nods to previous titles are everywhere, be they in the form of remixed music, appearances from the Koopa kids or just level layouts and ideas. It’s all very familiar to fans but also great for someone who’s trying the series out for the first time.

So veterans will remember the formula all too well, but what exactly is new for those that want something fresh? Well not a great deal. To be honest if there were, it wouldn’t be the Mario we all know and love. Obviously new levels and enemies are in, new power-ups including the ice flower (exactly like the fire flower but with a freezing ability) and penguin suit are brought along with some familiar faces (mushroom, starman) and some little Wiimote movements are brought along too. Then there’s the biggest addition...

Obviously the big selling point for this title is the inclusion of multiplayer and it is definitely a fun one. While not a mind blowing addition, it definitely gives players the chance to tackle the Mario adventure in a different light. Suddenly speed runs are out of the question as you’ll constantly be waiting for players to catch up or you’ll find yourself getting in each other’s way as small platforms need to be shared out. While the idea of sharing a screen with others may upset gamers, I definitely had a good time playing with three people as we found ourselves laughing at every mistimed jump or moment of screwing one another over and throwing each other in lava.

The game has just the main adventure for single players but coin battle and a free play option become available when you play with others. In typical Mario fashion the adventure is split into eight maps spread across a range of environments that tick all the platforming clichés. Desert, ice, tropical, forest and so on. Each stage brings new challenges and no one level feels familiar to another. One minute you are traversing giant mushrooms and then next swimming through giant levitating balls of water.

While it seems this is the perfect Mario package, I feel like more could have been done. Some further options and extras would have made this the ultimate Mario experience. Sadly there are no alternate characters which is the first big downer, and then there are the coins that you collect throughout the adventure which are simply used to unlock videos of highly skilled players and alternate exit whereabouts. Don’t get me wrong the videos are quite entertaining and collecting all of them will give a nice reward, but how about some artwork, music or even some just giving us players the ability to record and create our own unique videos? Showing off our speed runs. Some more modes would have been nice too. Coin battle is great, but how about basing the winner on the amount of enemies defeated, power-ups caught or lives remaining. A little more customisation would have been great.

Visually the game is decent. Considering it’s a 2D game it’s hard to expect the game looking much better than it does. If I had one issue though, it’s the actual art style which borrows a lot from its DS counterpart. It’s solid, but lacks that beautifully unique style of say Super Mario World or Yoshi’s Island. Music wise again it’s good but nothing fantastic. After being treated to a wonderfully orchestrated Super Mario Galaxy this feels dated and none of the melodies really stick in your head like past ones have.

Length wise the main game will last anywhere from a couple of hours to half a day. There are secret shortcuts, hidden levels and hundreds of star coins to gather which will keep you busy searching high and low. Obviously if you have friends to play this with the lifespan is going to rise significantly but even if you don’t there’s still a good amount for you too.

Mario’s move to 3D has perhaps overshadowed his 2D days but New Super Mario Bros Wii has proven that even with the loss of a dimension the red plumber is equally as fun. Whether playing alone or with friends you’re bound to have a ton of fun this Christmas.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.