GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] LEGO Rock Band"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Lego Rock Band'.
Wed 16/12/09 at 22:38
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
I’ll admit that this year has been flooded with music based games ranging from the usual suspects like Guitar Hero V right up to new appearances such as the Beatles and DJ Hero. Sure more songs to rock out too is great news, but when they are repeatedly issued on new fully-priced discs, it begins to take the... well you get the idea.

So why did I pick up LEGO Rock Band then? Simple answer is that I’m a huge fan of the series and the soundtrack looked like something I could get my family into as well, especially over the Xmas period. Heck even “In Too Deep” and “Rooftops” on Rock Band was enough to sell it for me.

While the original Rock Band and its sequel are excellent games and have provided many many banter filled evenings with my friends, the focus on rock, punk, metal and well... anything you wouldn’t find in the UK chart meant that my parents and family couldn’t really get into it. And that is what Harmonix are trying to do here. Sure the LEGO trademark could have been ignored and the result would have been pretty much the same, but what you have here is a package that anyone from young age’s right up the adulthood would enjoy. Rest assured though the kiddy image doesn’t mean the difficulty is lowered. Yes there is a super easy setting, but those looking for the usual expert toughness need not worry as it’s here too.

The LEGO addition is purely cosmetic and serves no real purpose besides making it feel more family friendly. Let’s face it anyone who is anyone knows what LEGO is and seeing it in the game is surely going to lure parents to buy it for their kids. The stages, arenas and environments are all block based and even your rockers are given the LEGO people treatment. Even the scrolling notes are made of LEGO! While some will see it as childish-looking, I actually don’t mind it, as getting the chance to rock out as a pirate on screen is enough to make me happy. The amount of customisation is perhaps greater than its bigger brothers, and that is by no means and easy feat.

Of course the soundtrack is what matters in a game like this, and here it is something that will either disappoint or make you very happy. The idea of this game is to bridge the gap between gamers and non-gamers, and to do that, songs choices need to be in the cheesy/ recognisable genre which is understandable. Forget hearing Avenged Sevenfold or Metallica so if that’s what you’re expecting then maybe you should pass. What is here though is actually a great listing ranging from classic tunes from Bon Jovi, The Police and Queen to more recent tracks from Sum 41 and All-American Rejects. As long as you don’t mind more mainstream, cheesy tunes and can just enjoy having a laugh singing along to songs like “In Too Deep” or “Ghostbusters” then you’re sure to have a great time.

Instead of a career mode things are (in a way) changed up with the new story option that sees you venturing the country, world and universe playing gigs and hiring new members. It all feels very similar to previous Rock Bands minus the online. New to the story mode however are the “boss encounters” where you’ll find yourself battling huge squid, ghosts and more. They don’t offer anything new and seeing as you’ll be focusing on the scrolling notes most of the time it seems redundant actually having the ensuing battle going on in the background.

Sadly the game feels pretty bare bones. I own the Xbox 360 version and even then it doesn’t have a large amount to offer. Along with the new story mode you have free play, practice and the choice to download songs from the online store (as long as they’re considered family friendly) but no online play whatsoever! But it doesn’t end there. On the disc you are given just forty five songs to play through which is a substantial drop form Rock Band 2’s hundred. You’ll often find yourself replaying old songs especially when it comes to the story mode which can become slightly frustrating. On the brighter side, downloaded songs can be used (again as long as they are accepted), but if not sorry, you’re stuck with just forty five. It would have been nice to have some wacky game modes too, to fit in with the LEGO style. Guitar Hero V proved that you can put interesting spins on competitive modes and I was hoping there may be a few options here. Sadly not.

Another negative point is that while the inclusion of songs like “We will rock you” and “We are the champions” from Queen is great news, the actual playing of them isn’t too fun. Unless you’re singing, you haven’t got much to do at all and it just seems like two wasted spots on the already short track list.

Visually LEGO Rock Band is okay. LEGO isn’t exactly going to look spectacular on screen, but it has a bright and bold feel to it which is enough. Seeing as most of the time you’re focusing on the notes, graphics is something of an afterthought for you.

LEGO Rock Band is best seen as a decent set of tracks for those looking for some new tunes to add to their ever growing list. As an exciting new entry into the series it falls somewhat flat though and soon you’ll realise the LEGO addition is just a novelty that soon wears out. A must for those that love fun, catchy tunes but skip if you’re looking for the next big music game revelation.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 16/12/09 at 22:38
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
I’ll admit that this year has been flooded with music based games ranging from the usual suspects like Guitar Hero V right up to new appearances such as the Beatles and DJ Hero. Sure more songs to rock out too is great news, but when they are repeatedly issued on new fully-priced discs, it begins to take the... well you get the idea.

So why did I pick up LEGO Rock Band then? Simple answer is that I’m a huge fan of the series and the soundtrack looked like something I could get my family into as well, especially over the Xmas period. Heck even “In Too Deep” and “Rooftops” on Rock Band was enough to sell it for me.

While the original Rock Band and its sequel are excellent games and have provided many many banter filled evenings with my friends, the focus on rock, punk, metal and well... anything you wouldn’t find in the UK chart meant that my parents and family couldn’t really get into it. And that is what Harmonix are trying to do here. Sure the LEGO trademark could have been ignored and the result would have been pretty much the same, but what you have here is a package that anyone from young age’s right up the adulthood would enjoy. Rest assured though the kiddy image doesn’t mean the difficulty is lowered. Yes there is a super easy setting, but those looking for the usual expert toughness need not worry as it’s here too.

The LEGO addition is purely cosmetic and serves no real purpose besides making it feel more family friendly. Let’s face it anyone who is anyone knows what LEGO is and seeing it in the game is surely going to lure parents to buy it for their kids. The stages, arenas and environments are all block based and even your rockers are given the LEGO people treatment. Even the scrolling notes are made of LEGO! While some will see it as childish-looking, I actually don’t mind it, as getting the chance to rock out as a pirate on screen is enough to make me happy. The amount of customisation is perhaps greater than its bigger brothers, and that is by no means and easy feat.

Of course the soundtrack is what matters in a game like this, and here it is something that will either disappoint or make you very happy. The idea of this game is to bridge the gap between gamers and non-gamers, and to do that, songs choices need to be in the cheesy/ recognisable genre which is understandable. Forget hearing Avenged Sevenfold or Metallica so if that’s what you’re expecting then maybe you should pass. What is here though is actually a great listing ranging from classic tunes from Bon Jovi, The Police and Queen to more recent tracks from Sum 41 and All-American Rejects. As long as you don’t mind more mainstream, cheesy tunes and can just enjoy having a laugh singing along to songs like “In Too Deep” or “Ghostbusters” then you’re sure to have a great time.

Instead of a career mode things are (in a way) changed up with the new story option that sees you venturing the country, world and universe playing gigs and hiring new members. It all feels very similar to previous Rock Bands minus the online. New to the story mode however are the “boss encounters” where you’ll find yourself battling huge squid, ghosts and more. They don’t offer anything new and seeing as you’ll be focusing on the scrolling notes most of the time it seems redundant actually having the ensuing battle going on in the background.

Sadly the game feels pretty bare bones. I own the Xbox 360 version and even then it doesn’t have a large amount to offer. Along with the new story mode you have free play, practice and the choice to download songs from the online store (as long as they’re considered family friendly) but no online play whatsoever! But it doesn’t end there. On the disc you are given just forty five songs to play through which is a substantial drop form Rock Band 2’s hundred. You’ll often find yourself replaying old songs especially when it comes to the story mode which can become slightly frustrating. On the brighter side, downloaded songs can be used (again as long as they are accepted), but if not sorry, you’re stuck with just forty five. It would have been nice to have some wacky game modes too, to fit in with the LEGO style. Guitar Hero V proved that you can put interesting spins on competitive modes and I was hoping there may be a few options here. Sadly not.

Another negative point is that while the inclusion of songs like “We will rock you” and “We are the champions” from Queen is great news, the actual playing of them isn’t too fun. Unless you’re singing, you haven’t got much to do at all and it just seems like two wasted spots on the already short track list.

Visually LEGO Rock Band is okay. LEGO isn’t exactly going to look spectacular on screen, but it has a bright and bold feel to it which is enough. Seeing as most of the time you’re focusing on the notes, graphics is something of an afterthought for you.

LEGO Rock Band is best seen as a decent set of tracks for those looking for some new tunes to add to their ever growing list. As an exciting new entry into the series it falls somewhat flat though and soon you’ll realise the LEGO addition is just a novelty that soon wears out. A must for those that love fun, catchy tunes but skip if you’re looking for the next big music game revelation.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.